IGNORED

Help: 9.1 Auro surround with AES3

Looking for practical experience with computer based Auro and/ or Dolby Atmos surround (more than 7.1 channels).

Currently running AES3 into Genelec SAM based 5.1 surround system, see specs below.

Looking for the most reasonably priced and easily operated solution while maintaining sound quality.

NOT interested in disk spinners and hardware based surround processors unless absolutely necessary.

I do like Thunderbolt for the speed and flexibility

Questions / Considerations

a) AES3 output options - another AFI-1, Lynx AES16 Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis or?

Aware of the usual pro sound cards from Apogee, Lynx, DAD, Metric Halo etc.

12 channel minimum

b) How do I get the Mac to address more than 7.1 channels.

c) Sound files - What software will play more than 7.1 channels.

d) Video files - What software will play more than 7.1 channels with the movie.

e) Sound files - What software will extract more than 7.1 channels from a Bluray pure audio?

f) Video files - What software will extract more than 7.1 channels with the movie from a Bluray?

g) Dolby Atmos - Any software players that can decode this?

Current system:

3 x 8260a fronts

2 x 8350a rear

1 x 7271 Sub

1 x Weiss AFI-1 8-channel firewire to AES3

Software players stereo: iTunes with PureMusic

Software players stereo: Decibel, Audirvana

Software players video: VLC + Macgo Blu-ray player

Extraction software: MKV & DVD-AE

Extraction Hardware: OWC external Bluray drive

Music sources: 2L, Aix

MacBook Pro -> Thunderbolt -> Promise Pegasus2 12TB -> Thunderbolt -> Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock -> Firewire -> Weiss AFI-1 -> 3 x AES3 single wire

Thanks in advance for any and all hints and ideas.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I would suspect (g) is the point at which everything else is irrelevant.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I already have 9.1 Auro surround in Bluray Pure Music disks from 2L.

I just can't wait to hear the difference from 5.1 to 9.1 om these amazing recordings.

So I'm an early adopter - I'm willing to pay the prize.

I exited stage left on surround sound several years ago but I'm interested from a knowledge standpoint with what is going on. I understand the basic 5.1 setup. I've understood that 7.1 is rear and side surrounds if I am correct. Is 9.1 adding in the front height adjustment? If not then what does it contribute?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I exited stage left on surround sound several years ago but I'm interested from a knowledge standpoint with what is going on. I understand the basic 5.1 setup. I've understood that 7.1 is rear and side surrounds if I am correct. Is 9.1 adding in the front height adjustment? If not then what does it contribute?

https://www.avforums.com/article/a-guide-to-dolby-atmos-home-cinema-surround-sound.10476 might help if you're interested...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I exited stage left on surround sound several years ago but I'm interested from a knowledge standpoint with what is going on. I understand the basic 5.1 setup.

I've understood that 7.1 is rear and side surrounds if I am correct.

Is 9.1 adding in the front height adjustment? If not then what does it contribute?

3D Surround

1.0 Mono -> 2.0 Stereo -> 4.0 Quadrophonics -> 5.1 Surround -> 7.1 Surround

These are the classical setups of increasing horisontal definition af soundscape

3D Surround systems adds one or more height layers to expand vertical definition af soundscape.

Auro 3D

9.1 Auro is a standard 5.1 surround with and additional height layer of speakers 30 degrees up in the corners.

It expands further with the "Voice of God" layer right above you, up to a total of 13.1 (based on 7.1)

Auro 3D builds on the existing channel based systems used from Mono to 7.1 Surround.

You can set up a std. microphone tree and just record Music - end of story.

Auro 3D

Dolby Atmos

Dolby Atmos adds object based sound effect elements on to a basis of traditional channel-based surround of 7 or 9 speaker channels.

The Atmos approach is quite different and tailored to making action movies IMO.

Atmos supports 128 discrete sound tracks and 64 speakers.

The commercial version of Atmos allows for a lot of customization (e.g. a system incorporating a 9.1 Atmos surround channel base allows for 118 discrete surround objects to pan, explode or whiz around via up to 62 speakers and 2 discrete subwoofer channels).

Not sure how this translates to music.

Dolby Atmos

DTS X

I'm not sure what is known about this formate, but DTS does mention it on their homepage.

3D is still core in the description of the new format.

3D sound on mobiles and cars are exiting intentions, perhaps along the lines of the Out Of Your Head software.

DTS Premium Sound 3D

Wow, really wow. They have definitely taken it past the very first basic of Dolby Surround that I started with in the early 90's. You would seem to require a dedicated viewing room to properly setup and control something so sophisticated. I don't see myself going there but I bet those who do will have a blast.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa