IGNORED

Tom Petty speaks about high resolution audio & mastering sound quality

Tom Petty had released a lot of new remastered albums from mostly the original studio masters. Mastering is done by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. (Grundman have kept a lot of original old tape machines - probably one of the few studios with the appropriate gear to do a proper job)

Ryan Ulate supervised it.

Looks like Tom Petty is still using ATC loudspeakers in his studio.

HDTracks have all the newly remastered albums in high resolution. Even better is that they appear to be all remastered to get more dynamic range than is normally done for mass market.

Basically they are how Tom likes it to sound to him on ATC speakers once he is finished working on the production with his sound engineer.

Great. An artist who gets it and doesn't volume compress his hi-res releases

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

yes, I understand. But I was making a comment in reference to most rock/pop artists - whose hi-res releases are also volume compressed. I'm glad TP didn't also do that.

No, just the CD's you bought the first time around...

Echo

Highway Companion

Mojo

The Last DJ

You're Gonna Get It

Wildflowers

Damn The Torpedos Deluxe Edition

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I believe old Tom was part of the Pono launch and had a signature model when that came out, so I guess it all ties in. I'm glad he's pushing the hires stuff.

Tom loves music. He has a show on Sirius playing his favorited tracks that influenced him. He genuinely likes music and good sound. On tour he uses the latest EAW Anya front of the house system which is only a year old and bleeding edge technology.

He fought the record companies in the past for more artistic control.

I think Tom is the genuine thing - an American Rock'n Roll Legend.

I have a massive collection of albums just like many of you here. I welcome this news. It won't change the sorry state of music production overnight but things have to start one person at a time. As a RHCP fan I am ashamed of their overly compressed sound quality given they are all superb musicians, as Tom says in the interview - why should we get only 5% of what is recorded and heard by the artist in the studio?