IGNORED

Ripping audio from DVD-Audio and audio on DVDs on a Mac

Folks:

I tried searching but apparently my searching skills aren't up to the task... 8^)

I have about 40 DVD-Audio discs and twice that number of DVD or Blu-ray music discs that I'd love to get digital copies of. I looked at the DVDextractor post but that is for Windows only and I have Macs only. I also have an Oppo BDP-83 but AFAIK, it doesn't have a digital output for this kind of file... So I'm not sure even how to play the DV-Audio or Blu-ray discs...

There is no panic but I've got my SACDs in a digital format and I'd just like to add the DVD-Audio discs, etc.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

DVD Audio Extractor -- Full featured DVD audio ripper for your easy use

Folks:

I tried searching but apparently my searching skills aren't up to the task... 8^)

I have about 40 DVD-Audio discs and twice that number of DVD or Blu-ray music discs that I'd love to get digital copies of. I looked at the DVDextractor post but that is for Windows only and I have Macs only. I also have an Oppo BDP-83 but AFAIK, it doesn't have a digital output for this kind of file... So I'm not sure even how to play the DV-Audio or Blu-ray discs...

There is no panic but I've got my SACDs in a digital format and I'd just like to add the DVD-Audio discs, etc.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Le Concombre Masque:

Thanks but, as I pointed out in my post, DVD Audio Extractor is for Windows only. I even tried it but to the following error message:

"You can’t open the application “dvdaudioextractor.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OS*X."

Mike

Le Concombre Masque:

Thanks but, as I pointed out in my post, DVD Audio Extractor is for Windows only. I even tried it but to the following error message:

"You can’t open the application “dvdaudioextractor.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OS*X."

Mike

Mike, I think it is a simple case of you downloading the wrong (Windows) version vs downloading the OSX executable (which is a dmg, not an exe). DVD Audio Extractor has been on OSX for some time now (up to Mavericks..not sure about Yosemite).

http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/dvdae-macosx-7.2.0.dmg

Le Concombre Masque:

Mike

DVD Audio Extractor has versions that run on MacOS. You just need to download the right version. ;)

Download DVD Audio Extractor

Yours,

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I use DVD Audio Extractor in combination with MakeMKV all the time on OSX to extract high-res PCM audio from music Blu-rays and DVDs. Works like a charm!

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Folks:

Ok, I got rid of the virus (a half-hour of my life gone forever - I hope there's a special place in hell for those guys) and downloaded the Mac version of DVD Extractor. On the second screen, there are some specifications you need to select from. Some are clear, e.g., Sample Rate - Same as Source, but some are less clear, e.g., Enable VBR, with a slider under it. ??? So, if there is a bonehead tutorial that you know about, please send me a link.

When the program is through, I have about 130 MB in my "Documents" folder labelled "Title 1 - Chapter 01.oog," "Title 1 - Chapter 02.oog," etc. plus a file "Unknown Artist - MARVIN_GAYE.m3u." (I did a Marvin Gay DD-Audio). No meta-data?

Audirvana + won't play this file and neither will my DVD player program on the Mac... I'll check to see if Pono can play it but I think I am missing something...

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

You probably have forgotten to change the output format in that screen where you saw "Enable VBR" and such. In that screen if you look a little over the settings details, you will see "Output format", where you can specify another format.

The files that you have extracted are in "Ogg/Vorbis" format, explaining why you can't play them. It is the "default" format...

Hope this helps,

Alain

WAIT! I found a menu that allows me to select FLAC. That should take care of the ".ogg" file issue and Audirvana + should be able to play FLAC files. Any clues about the metadata?

Thanks (in near-real time),

Mike

Alain: Yes, I found that as you were typing. I'm getting there. Metadata hints? Thanks.

I'd recommend reading a little before you jump into this. Your questions will be fewer. Chris (with some input from me) developed an article or two a while back. They are here, in the Academy folder:

Computer Audiophile - DVD-Audio Ripping

I never really cared about tagging... But I hoped there was a database where DVDExtractor could take the titles, but I enter them myself...

Anyway, thanks Ted for the link :)

If you are using a Mac, then try the $10 app "Identify" from the app store. Kinda hard to get a grasp on, but does a very good job, just like the old MetaX stuff did before it went Windows only, and tag chimp went to history.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

ted_b:

Thanks for the thread. I found that earlier but saw it was for Windows and some of the commands are not the same. for example, there is no place to address the ID3 tags that I could find in the Mac version. I assume that the ID3 tags is where the metadata copying takes place... Sigh so I'll have to follow Alain's lead and put everything in by hand...

Thanks folks,

Mike

If you are using a Mac, then try the $10 app "Identify" from the app store. Kinda hard to get a grasp on, but does a very good job, just like the old MetaX stuff did before it went Windows only, and tag chimp went to history.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

You mean there are possibilities to access the titles instead of typing them ? Alas I still don't have a Mac, but your suggestion "woke me up" and I will try to find something that may replace my manual entries... Thanks :) The older I get, the slower and clumsier I become. I swear that the keyboard changes places when I don't look at it ;)

Alain

Ah... Maybe not automatic, but can save some time... I try to find the songs from the DVD in a website (Amazon or others), I copy them and paste them in a text file that I use to rename each of the files. Of course, one by one but at least it helps me not to make too many mistakes...

Not my best suggestion today...

Alain

Picard tagged might help you. Worth a download and try.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Oh yeah- if on Windows check out Meta-X. ;)

Hi Paul,

You mean there are possibilities to access the titles instead of typing them ? Alas I still don't have a Mac, but your suggestion "woke me up" and I will try to find something that may replace my manual entries... Thanks :) The older I get, the slower and clumsier I become. I swear that the keyboard changes places when I don't look at it ;)

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul:

Identify is for Movies. I tried to get their support folks to talk to me about audio discs but no response yet... Not sure if that's what I want. Have you used it for audio?

Thanks,

Mike

Oh gads- if you mean music, like audio albums, then you should be able to bring the files up in XLD or any other application, like JRiver, and just tell it to go fill in the tags from the Internet. If you saved the files to ALAC or AIFF, you could even do it in iTunes, which uses GraceNote.

There is a great deal tagging software out there, and most of it can look up and fill in the album for you.

I use XLD for music, and am learning to use Identify for video. Saves an enormous amount of time! :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul:

I see I still have a lot to learn... What DVDExtractr is able to do for me is extract the audio files. The audio files sound great and seem to be at the appropriate resolution, etc. However, when I bring up these files in Audirvana+, the track names are generic and there is no album cover art. I guess will try XLD.

Thanks,

Mike

Paul:

I see I still have a lot to learn... What DVDExtractr is able to do for me is extract the audio files. The audio files sound great and seem to be at the appropriate resolution, etc. However, when I bring up these files in Audirvana+, the track names are generic and there is no album cover art. I guess will try XLD.

Thanks,

Mike

It s isn'o much t olearn, as the process is not polished yet, from anywhere. It takes two or three steps.

You can bring the existing files up in XLD and tag them without the need to reRIP them from the DVDa or anything like that at all. It's a very quick process, thank goodness! PM with if you need specific help with it. I can almost always squeeze a half hour or so out in the evening to help. ;)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

• 4 months later...

Bumping an old thread here... I found dvdae for the Mac to be quite terrible. No way to organize files into a folder and the tagging/file naming isn't working for me. Also, this may be a noob oversight on my part but even f I select "flac" the output files are Ogg Vorbis. Aam I clueless and missing something or are there any other alternatives that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Once you've got them ripped to FLAC Sounds like you are missing a flac encoder) then use MP3Tag to tag and rename them. That part is easy, as long as the files are in the correct order.