IGNORED

Roon Labs Software

Thank you so much for all that valuable info.

I did faced issues in the past and your feedback shows that I was right to ask questions.

Thanks Chris.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Forgot to ask - will my music be "reprocessed" by Roon - should I allocate time for this, or is copy and go?

Thank guys

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

1 hour ago, jacques_racine said:

Forgot to ask - will my music be "reprocessed" by Roon - should I allocate time for this, or is copy and go?

Thank guys

Is your current music on an external drive? I have upgraded HD and swapped out a backup drive with no issue. I just always use the same name for the volume of the ext drive. The Roon database and settings keeps all the information and just points to the music location.

By following your advice I have been able to complete the operation without breaking a sweat.

I think the issues some might have had in the past, including me, were with the previous version which managed music storage differently. Roon is getting more mature one version at a time....

• 3 weeks later...

Fairly major update to Roon again today WRT to DSD. 

Version 1.3, Build 216 adds DSD > DSD upsampling with no intermediate conversion to PCM, additional DSD filters (steep / slow rolloff, linear or minimum phase), and additional modulators (5th and 7th order "CLANS" - whatever that is!), as well as upsampling to DSD512 if your OS + hardware supports it.

I have built a fairly long DSP chain, including EQ, crossfeed, resampling all to DSD256, etc., and still seeing only about 25% utilization on my vintage MacMini :) Nice.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

On 12/04/2017 at 4:27 AM, jhwalker said:

Version 1.3, Build 216 adds DSD > DSD upsampling with no intermediate conversion to PCM, additional DSD filters (steep / slow rolloff, linear or minimum phase), and additional modulators (5th and 7th order "CLANS" - whatever that is!), as well as upsampling to DSD512 if your OS + hardware supports it.

I have built a fairly long DSP chain, including EQ, crossfeed, resampling all to DSD256, etc., and still seeing only about 25% utilization on my vintage MacMini :) Nice.

Am trying out the upsampling to dsd512 as we speak.... 

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

1 hour ago, christoph said:

Have you two also compared roon upsampling to DSD with the upsampling in HQPlayer? I haven't tried with the new roon build 217 upsampling to DSD512 but before ( build 208?) I clearly preferred HQPlayer with both upsanpling to DSD256.

With the earlier builds, I preferred HQPlayer, as well.  I can say, though, with the current build, and DSD > DSD resampling, I don't hear much to distinguish the two; i.e., Roon sounds just as good as HQPlayer - to my ears, at least.

I would love to see someone do an actual apples:apples comparison with the appropriate test gear.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

19 minutes ago, christoph said:

Hi John

Thank you for your assessment.

That would be quite a sensation if roon on it's own sounded as good as HQPlayer :$

And that with much less computing power...

What where your settings in HQPlayer and what now in roon?

Cheers,

Christoph

HQPlayer - poly-sinc-shrt, AMSDM7 512+fs, DSD256

Roon - Precise / Linear Phase, 7th order (CLANS), DSD256

I will say that Roon chokes when you add in channel mapping 5.1 > stereo (if needed), where HQPlayer does not.  So for 5.1 to a stereo setup (e.g., my headphone rig), I must offload the channel mapping and DSD conversion to HQPlayer :/  Fortunately, I only have about 10 5.1 albums in my 6,500 album collection, so not too much of an imposition, and the same 5.1 albums play brilliantly on my speaker rig, where no channel mapping is needed.

In any case, nice to be able to mix and match as necessary / desired ;) 

Just heard feedback on the new Roon up sampling

"just checked Roon upsampling to DSD512 with audiolinux.
Configuration: Audiolinux Extreme, priority Extreme, smooth minimum
phase,  7th order filter clans, native, parallelized CPU. buffer 250ms
Results: processor use less than half than HQplayer, sound for me it's
wonderful, powerful but clean bass, sweet highs, very real instruments,
no dropouts, no clicks or bumps  changing file with different sampling
rate!
A little surprise...
I have tested with my custom USB 2 I2S converter (with XMOS xu216) and
Holo Audio Spring."

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-04-11 at 2:27 PM, jhwalker said:

I'm wondering whether Roon can be configured to do upsamplaing but at the same time just pass through MQA files the way they are. 

mQa is dead!

you can ask for a 15 days trial ;)

yes: same answer as to the same question you posted in the Audirvana thread :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

so what you're actually asking is if an RC-1590 will work with Roon (and/or Audirvana): not the other way around :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones