IGNORED

How to connect iMac to DAC

Hi,

IMHO, I would go for the USB way if your DAC offers a B-mode USB asynchronous input (most of recent models). This way, the clock signal will be provided by the DAC instead of the Mac. The cable length will be a minor constraint since the clock is controlled by the end point (DAC).

If your DAC isn't async, you should be able to find some adaptors (ex: M2tech USB Hiface).

TOSlink is known to be somewhat jittery but could be your second choice (it's not that bad).

Qobuz Sublime subscription & m4a files on Synology DS416play / Macbook Air 13" 2012 + El Capitan (Direct Mode) + Audirvana 3.x / DAC Arcam IrDAC / Ampli NAD C320 / Speaker Cabasse Sloop 500

Hi,

IMHO, I would go for the USB way if your DAC offers a B-mode USB asynchronous input (most of recent models). This way, the clock signal will be provided by the DAC instead of the Mac. The cable length will be a minor constraint since the clock is controlled by the end point (DAC).

If your DAC isn't async, you should be able to find some adaptors (ex: M2tech USB Hiface).

TOSlink is known to be somewhat jittery but could be your second choice (it's not that bad).

All true, but 36 feet (10 yards) is a very long distance for USB and probably won't work well. Nothing at all for TOSLink to handle though. ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, I have not tried this cable, it is a USB cable, but if your DAC requires power then you would need to add a hub on the end nearest the DAC. It is made by Corning.

It is sold in a 33 foot length (11 yards) and a 100 foot length. And it is over a $100, and it has been much discussed on this forum, and I haven't tried it. Where as the TOSLINK cable that someone linked to is about $5.50.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs