IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS app - won't index library?

Can anyone explain this to me? :-)

I've got my music stored on a NAS and I'm using the BlueSound app to control my BlueSound Node - this works perfect. It loads the library with all the information - cover art, artist, track titles, etc.

I am though considering upgrading to an Auralic Aries streamer to improve the sound quality, so I tried downloading the Lightning DS app, but when I choose my NAS it doesn't index all the music properly. Most of the music is just marked "unknown" and isn't organised at all - see the pictures.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

IMG_0069.PNG

IMG_0070.PNG

Kind Regards,

Kenneth

BlueSound Node > Supra ZAC Toslink > PS Audio NuWave DAC > Transparent MusicLink Ultra MM2 XLR > Ayre Acoustics AX-7e > Cardas Quadlink 5C SC > NEAT Acoustics Ultimatum MFS (+ PS Audio PerfectWave P3 + 2x PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBases + Supra LoRad PC + Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E14 + Seagate Central NAS + iPad Air 2 as remote)

A few questions:

1- What file types?

2- Are you sure the files themselves are tagged?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I don't believe that the Lightning app does any indexing itself. It simply reads the index provided to it. The problem likely lies with the app that's serving up the music off your NAS - or with the tags applied to your music.

Take a look at your same library using another app - like Kinsky or Lumin. I'm guessing you will see the same problems. If you do then try to retag one of the problem files just to see if that helps.

Are the problem files in WAV format by any chance?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thank you very much for the replies :-)

The same happens when using Kinsky, so it may not be the Lightning DS app. The files are a mix of AIFF, MP4 and FLAC. The BlueSound app has no problem showing all the files correctly - although I do sometimes have to tag some files if they aren't.

Browsing through my NAS it seems that the AIFF files is the problem, because the FLAC and MP4 files show up fine in Lightning DS. Could the AIFF files be the issue? And why is there no problem with the BlueSound app?

Kind Regards,

Kenneth

BlueSound Node > Supra ZAC Toslink > PS Audio NuWave DAC > Transparent MusicLink Ultra MM2 XLR > Ayre Acoustics AX-7e > Cardas Quadlink 5C SC > NEAT Acoustics Ultimatum MFS (+ PS Audio PerfectWave P3 + 2x PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBases + Supra LoRad PC + Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E14 + Seagate Central NAS + iPad Air 2 as remote)

Could the AIFF files be the issue? And why is there no problem with the BlueSound app?

It very well could be. There have been problems with my AIFF files that have kept them from showing up the right way via MinimServer. But those same AIFF files showed up fine in other apps (like iTunes and JRiver). Some apps are pickier than others and more easily tip over if the files aren't as expected.

With these problem AIFF files, it could either be an issue with the AIFF container (and not the data itself), or possibly a bad tag on the file.

The fix for the former is to simply convert the AIFF to another AIFF. I used Max on the Mac to do this. Try this with a single file and see if it helps.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The same happens when using Kinsky, so it may not be the Lightning DS app. The files are a mix of AIFF, MP4 and FLAC. The BlueSound app has no problem showing all the files correctly - although I do sometimes have to tag some files if they aren't.

Browsing through my NAS it seems that the AIFF files is the problem, because the FLAC and MP4 files show up fine in Lightning DS. Could the AIFF files be the issue? And why is there no problem with the BlueSound app?

Hi Kenneth,

The Bluesound streamer uses your NAS's network shared folders to gain direct access to the music files. It then uses a built-in proprietary media server to build a private music library from the music file tags, which it then shares with other Bluesound devices and software.

The Lightning DS app, being an industry standard UPnP and OpenHome Media (ohMedia, aka UPnP with Linn extensions) controller, does not have access to your NAS via network shared folders and instead makes use of a UPnP/DLNA media server application running on your NAS to provide it with the music files. It is the UPnP media server's job to build and maintain the music file library from the tags and it is this music file library that the Lightning DS is accessing. The Lightning DS app therefore is not involved in the process of reading the tags and if there is any issue you should look to sorting it out on your NAS's UPnP media server. It's possible that your NAS's UPnP media server has a specific problem with your AIFF files' tags.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Kenneth,

The Bluesound streamer uses your NAS's network shared folders to gain direct access to the music files. It then uses a built-in proprietary media server to build a private music library from the music file tags, which it then shares with other Bluesound devices and software.

The Lightning DS app, being an industry standard UPnP and OpenHome Media (ohMedia, aka UPnP with Linn extensions) controller, does not have access to your NAS via network shared folders and instead makes use of a UPnP/DLNA media server application running on your NAS to provide it with the music files. It is the UPnP media server's job to build and maintain the music file library from the tags and it is this music file library that the Lightning DS is accessing. The Lightning DS app therefore is not involved in the process of reading the tags and if there is any issue you should look to sorting it out on your NAS's UPnP media server. It's possible that your NAS's UPnP media server has a specific problem with your AIFF files' tags.

John

Thank you all for your replies! I'll try to convert some of the files and see if this helps :-)

@John: that's a great explanation - thank you! It always puzzled me a bit why the BlueSound worked so much different, but now I know :-)

Kind Regards,

Kenneth