IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Dear Tim

I've recently adopted a solution with Moode Audio and a Raspberry Pi and it's working really great to play my music on flac (and Mp3) from an external HD to my Hifi via Lan

Only issue it's with Moode Airplay, cause I'm using a MacBook Pro to command the system, so I've tried many times to play also music from Spotify (or Youtube) and it works but very lousy, with many hiccups and interruptions.

Is there something I can do to solve this problem or should I put up with it and listen only to my local music archive?

Thanks a lot for everything!

Filippo

Hi all, hi Tim

I really like moode so that I made a donation to promote developement. I have an Raspberry PI3 and an usb HDD with my music files. I tried to copy the music files with FTP client (Filezilla) from my Mac to RPI3 directly but with user "pi" don't work! I receive an error message "open for write: permission denied". I tried to logon with "root" but I don't know the password. Is there a way to do this with FTP? If not, were is the correct manner to do this?

(Sorry for my bad english!)

Thank a lot!

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

From Moode Setup Guide

- Samba shares are NAS, RADIO, SDCARD and USB

- Connect directly to USB drives by disk label name for example //moode/USB/DiskLableName

Then just use Finder to copy the files.

-Tim

Dear Tim

I've recently adopted a solution with Moode Audio and a Raspberry Pi and it's working really great to play my music on flac (and Mp3) from an external HD to my Hifi via Lan

Only issue it's with Moode Airplay, cause I'm using a MacBook Pro to command the system, so I've tried many times to play also music from Spotify (or Youtube) and it works but very lousy, with many hiccups and interruptions.

Is there something I can do to solve this problem or should I put up with it and listen only to my local music archive?

Thanks a lot for everything!

Filippo

Hi Filippo,

The symptom "t works but very lousy, with many hiccups and interruptions" suggests a network issue external to Moode software.

Try running a 30 sec ping test from Mac to Pi and then examine the ping stats for packet loss and latency (long round trip times).

-Tim

@TimCurtis,

How do we upgrade?

Do we have to dd again? :)

TIA!

Hi,

Yes definately. Due to the sheer number of changes and improvements including integration of the new Real-Time Advanced Audio kernel from inmate SC, the next release of Moode will be image only. Also brace yourself, this release may not be free.

ETA: The new audio devices in next release.

- NEW: Allo Boss DAC (i2s)

- NEW: Allo Piano HiFi DAC (i2s)

- NEW: Audiophonics ES9018 DAC (i2s)

- NEW: Pi2Design 503HTA Hybrid Tube Amp (i2s)

- NEW: Chord Mojo (usb)- NEW: Korg DS-DAC-10R (usb)

- NEW: Lector Digitube s19 (usb)

-Tim

@TimCurtis,

How do we upgrade?

Do we have to dd again? :)

Edit: A quick question, I have an iFi micro iDSD but does not show on my audio info. Do I have to change something in my settings?

TIA!

Hi,

In Moode 3.1 Audio Device list the entry below should be present.

iFi Audio Micro iDsD

Burr Brown DSD1793

Sigma-Delta advanced segment PCM 24 bit 192 kHz, DSD, DXD

-Tim

Hi,

In Moode 3.1 Audio Device list the entry below should be present.

iFi Audio Micro iDsD

Burr Brown DSD1793

Sigma-Delta advanced segment PCM 24 bit 192 kHz, DSD, DXD

-Tim

Tim,

It does not show up.

Here is my version:

Tim,

It does not show up.

Here is my version:

Hi,

My mistake. Its not in 3.1 audio device description. Will be in next release :-)

-Tim

Hi,

My mistake. Its not in 3.1 audio device description. Will be in next release :-)

-Tim

HAHA! OK Thanks!

By the way, No shocker on the "going paid" I think is well worth it.

Cant wait to get my hands on your new release!

By the way is the Schiit Bifrost going to be listed as a supported device in the future?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes definately. Due to the sheer number of changes and improvements including integration of the new Real-Time Advanced Audio kernel from inmate SC, the next release of Moode will be image only. Also brace yourself, this release may not be free.

ETA: The new audio devices in next release.

- NEW: Allo Boss DAC (i2s)

- NEW: Allo Piano HiFi DAC (i2s)

- NEW: Audiophonics ES9018 DAC (i2s)

- NEW: Pi2Design 503HTA Hybrid Tube Amp (i2s)

- NEW: Chord Mojo (usb)- NEW: Korg DS-DAC-10R (usb)

- NEW: Lector Digitube s19 (usb)

-Tim

Will this release support DoP over I2S?

Forgive me for not understanding all of the moving parts on this, obviously there is the DAC aspect (I'm using the Collybia Mambo LS), but there is also a new forthcoming board from IanCanada that is an isolator as well as a daughter board that decodes DoP to native DSD.

It is entirely unclear to me what needs to happen either software or hardware-wise to stream DSD to an I2S DAC, currently with Moode 3.1 I get static with DoP turned on, and resampling to PCM with DoP turned off.

Will the new release help solve the DSD over I2S issue?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

HAHA! OK Thanks!

By the way, No shocker on the "going paid" I think is well worth it.

Cant wait to get my hands on your new release!

By the way is the Schiit Bifrost going to be listed as a supported device in the future?

Thanks!

Hi,

Sure, for USB devices its not a matter of "technical linux support" but more of a display feature on Audio info screen. Email me the specs on the BiFrost (dacchip, sample rates etc) and I'll add it to the DB.

-Tim

Will this release support DoP over I2S?

Forgive me for not understanding all of the moving parts on this, obviously there is the DAC aspect (I'm using the Collybia Mambo LS), but there is also a new forthcoming board from IanCanada that is an isolator as well as a daughter board that decodes DoP to native DSD.

It is entirely unclear to me what needs to happen either software or hardware-wise to stream DSD to an I2S DAC, currently with Moode 3.1 I get static with DoP turned on, and resampling to PCM with DoP turned off.

Will the new release help solve the DSD over I2S issue?

Hi,

Nope. The board manufacturer has to provide a Linux kernel driver that makes DoP over I2S interface happen for their board. The driver would need to be slip streamed into mainline Linux kernels to be useful.

-Tim

Hi,

Nope. The board manufacturer has to provide a Linux kernel driver that makes DoP over I2S interface happen for their board. The driver would need to be slip streamed into mainline Linux kernels to be useful.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Ok thanks very much for that clarification, it helps me at least partially understand!

I wonder if the IanCanada DoP decoder board will enable DSD with some DAC HATs in this scenario, i.e. is there already native DSD support in the necessary Linux kernel such that some DAC HAT boards might provide native DSD support without DoP?

Or, specific to the new forthcoming Moode release, would turning off DoP always result in resampling to PCM, or would use of the IanCanada DoP decoder board somehow enable native DSD using Moode (3.2?) with some DAC HATs?

Perhaps somewhat off-topic for this thread, and more to the point, a question for IanCanada, or the maker of any specific DAC HAT (Soekris DAM1231 I'm lookin' at you).

In the meantime, I'll enjoy DSD resampled to hi-rez PCM via Moode 3.1 with the very nice sounding MamboBerry LS DAC+!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Sorry Tim, but the problem is that: when connect my mac (user=pi,password=raspberry) with RPI music folder, pi is not allowed to write or handle. That folder appear with an icon as well: Schermata 2017-03-01 alle 20.42.16.png

Where ma I wrong?

Thanks!

Andrea

UPDATE: I realized that I always connect as a "guest" and I can't connect as "pi"!

Hi Andrea,

From Moode Setup Guide

- Samba shares are NAS, RADIO, SDCARD and USB

- Connect directly to USB drives by disk label name for example //moode/USB/DiskLableName

Then just use Finder to copy the files.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

just upgraded by Pi1B with a HifiBerry DAC. Sound quality rocks; love the moode! :)

Although playback with MPD works like a charm (also with FLAC files), I'm now seeing some issues with Airplay. Every few minutes, playback suddenly stops for 1 or 2 seconds before it continues to play smoothly (until it gets interrupted again). I'm not quite sure whether it's related to the hardware upgrade, but I can say that I definitely didn't have those issues before.

The Pi is connected via Ethernet, the media source via Wifi: a Macbook and an iPhone as source. I'm having the same interruption issue with both source devices.

I fiddled around a bit with shairplay-sync and found the verbose-mode. On stdout (-vv debug output) I see some clear errors when the playback gets interrupted (see excerpt below). Apart from broken pipes, at the end it also says stuff about the Alsa device being in the wrong state...

Do you by chance have any idea what could be going wrong or how I could go about diagnosing the issue? Or should I rather pose this questions with the shairport-sync guys?

Thanks!

Jonas

Looking for the configuration file "/usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf".

Can't resolve the configuration file "/usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf".

Output device name is "hw:0".

The processor is running little-endian.

Version: "2.8.6-OpenSSL-Avahi-ALSA-stdout-soxr-metadata-sysconfdir:/usr/local/etc"

statistics_requester status is 0.

daemon status is 0.

rtsp listening port is 5000.

udp base port is 6001.

udp port range is 100.

Shairport Sync player name is "moode Airplay".

Audio Output name is "(null)".

on-start action is "/var/www/command/spspre.sh".

on-stop action is "/var/www/command/spspost.sh".

wait-cmd status is 1.

mdns backend "(null)".

userSuppliedLatency is 0.

AirPlayLatency is -1.

iTunesLatency is -1.

forkedDaapdLatency is -1.

stuffing option is "1" (0-basic, 1-soxr).

resync time is 2205.

allow a session to be interrupted: 0.

busy timeout time is 120.

drift tolerance is 88 frames.

password is "(null)".

ignore_volume_control is 0.

playback_mode is 0 (0-stereo, 1-mono).

disable_synchronization is 0.

use_mmap_if_available is 1.

audio backend desired buffer length is 6615.

audio backend latency offset is 0.

volume range in dB (zero means use the range specified by the mixer): 0.

zeroconf regtype is "_raop._tcp".

configuration file name "/usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf" can not be resolved.

metdata enabled is 1.

metadata pipename is "/tmp/shairport-sync-metadata".

metadata socket address is "(null)" port 0.

metadata socket packet size is "0".

get-coverart is 1.

Successful Startup

avahi: avahi_register.

avahi: register_service.

avahi: service 'F03D95B30599@moode Airplay' group is not yet commited.

avahi: request to add "_raop._tcp" service with metadata

avahi: service 'F03D95B30599@moode Airplay' group is registering.

avahi: service 'F03D95B30599@moode Airplay' successfully added.

New RTSP connection from [fe80::183e:2599:9813:db59]:49791 to self at [fe80::3a4b:3731:db3:170f]:5000.

Play connection from user agent "AirPlay/310.15".

Active-Remote string seen: "2042192880".

DACP-ID string seen: "8759D7C5D178F6F2".

User-Agent is AirPlay; selecting the AirPlay latency of -1 frames.

rtp_setup: cport=52348 tport=55306.

Set up play connection from fe80::183e:2599:9813:db59 to self at fe80::3a4b:3731:db3:170f.

listening for audio, control and timing on ports 6001, 6002, 6003.

Timing receiver -- Server RTP thread starting.volume: -1.803533

Control receiver -- Server RTP thread starting.

Sync packet received before we got a timing packet back.

Audio receiver -- Server RTP thread starting.

Timing sender thread starting.

syncing to seqno 8523.

Output written with RW

PCM handle name = 'hw:0'

alsa device parameters:

access type = RW_INTERLEAVED

format = 'S16_LE' (Signed 16 bit Little Endian)

subformat = 'STD' (Standard)

number of channels = 2

number of significant bits = 16

rate = 44100 frames per second (precisely).

precise (rational) rate = 0.000 frames per second (i.e. 0/1088784512).

period_time = 23219 us (>).

period_size = 1024 frames (precisely).

buffer_time = 2972154 us (>).

buffer_size = 131072 frames (>).

periods_per_buffer = 128 (precisely).

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7979.2, 11853.3, 50780.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7979.9, 11978.2, 108238.0.

Error -32 writing 353 samples in play(): "Broken pipe".

Lost sync with source for 4 consecutive packets -- flushing and resyncing. Error: -2417.

syncing to seqno 14608.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7978.9, 11873.6, 57129.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7978.9, 11906.3, 54060.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7989.5, 11910.5, 50089.0.

Lost sync with source for 4 consecutive packets -- flushing and resyncing. Error: -2409.

syncing to seqno 23177.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7979.0, 11843.9, 47320.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 8086.5, 15922.7, 541046.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7980.1, 11912.8, 58800.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7980.0, 11904.4, 46117.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7988.6, 11887.6, 53137.0.

Lost sync with source for 4 consecutive packets -- flushing and resyncing. Error: -2403.

syncing to seqno 35570.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7978.4, 16018.3, 545550.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7979.4, 12045.2, 53010.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7979.0, 11974.6, 53036.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7979.6, 11904.5, 47487.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7983.0, 11842.0, 42703.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7985.3, 11871.3, 52645.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7978.7, 11887.8, 51015.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 8086.9, 15614.9, 491268.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7980.4, 11870.1, 46678.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7978.7, 11913.1, 78936.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7980.3, 11829.3, 50849.0.

Error -- ALSA device in incorrect state (4) for play.

Error -32 writing 351 samples in play(): "Broken pipe".

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7978.1, 11898.9, 59272.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7980.1, 11898.3, 47038.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7978.6, 11989.8, 81079.0.

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7989.4, 11831.8, 71524.0.

Error -32 writing 351 samples in play(): "Broken pipe".

Packet reception interval stats: mean, standard deviation and max for the last 2,500 packets in microseconds: 7979.0, 11997.9, 60081.0.

... Although playback with MPD works like a charm (also with FLAC files), I'm now seeing some issues with Airplay. Every few minutes, playback suddenly stops for 1 or 2 seconds before it continues to play smoothly (until it gets interrupted again).

Update: While looking for more options to diagnose this, I found this thread for shairport-sync on Github. From the error messages produced by shairport-sync, it looks quite related to me. https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/346.

Hi Tim,

just upgraded by Pi1B with a HifiBerry DAC. Sound quality rocks; love the moode! :)

Although playback with MPD works like a charm (also with FLAC files), I'm now seeing some issues with Airplay. Every few minutes, playback suddenly stops for 1 or 2 seconds before it continues to play smoothly (until it gets interrupted again). I'm not quite sure whether it's related to the hardware upgrade, but I can say that I definitely didn't have those issues before.

The Pi is connected via Ethernet, the media source via Wifi: a Macbook and an iPhone as source. I'm having the same interruption issue with both source devices.

I fiddled around a bit with shairplay-sync and found the verbose-mode. On stdout (-vv debug output) I see some clear errors when the playback gets interrupted (see excerpt below). Apart from broken pipes, at the end it also says stuff about the Alsa device being in the wrong state...

Do you by chance have any idea what could be going wrong or how I could go about diagnosing the issue? Or should I rather pose this questions with the shairport-sync guys?

Thanks!

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

Generally, posting the issue to shairport-sync Git issue list is best but you will want to use the exact cmd string that Moode uses when you add -vv. Below is how to get the cmd string.

- In System config, turn on debug logging

- Reboot

- cat /var/log/moode.log

- the shairport-sync launch string will be printed in the log

If your Pi-1B is running at default 700 MHz frequency and not over-clocked to 1GHz then you could try removing the -S soxr param from the launch string to see if cpu load issue.

Just remember to killall shairport-sync (the instance launched by Moode) before running it from cmd line.

-Tim

Hi Jonas,

Generally, posting the issue to shairport-sync Git issue list is best but you will want to use the exact cmd string that Moode uses when you add -vv. Below is how to get the cmd string.

- In System config, turn on debug logging

- Reboot

- cat /var/log/moode.log

- the shairport-sync launch string will be printed in the log

If your Pi-1B is running at default 700 MHz frequency and not over-clocked to 1GHz then you could try removing the -S soxr param from the launch string to see if cpu load issue.

Just remember to killall shairport-sync (the instance launched by Moode) before running it from cmd line.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

alright, tried as you suggested. Got a bit a closer to the issue with your and Mike's help, but haven't nailed it down, yet. :) E.g., playback doesn't interrupt via Ethernet or without soxr stuffing on WiFi...

The Pi isn't overclocked, yes, so at 700 MHz.

Would you think the soxr-based stuffing could be dependent on the output device (USB sound card vs Hifiberry)?

Btw, another way to get the commandline for shairport sync is `ps faux | grep shairport` -> copy from console. :)

Best,

Jonas

Hi Tim,

alright, tried as you suggested. Got a bit a closer to the issue with your and Mike's help, but haven't nailed it down, yet. :) E.g., playback doesn't interrupt via Ethernet or without soxr stuffing on WiFi...

The Pi isn't overclocked, yes, so at 700 MHz.

Would you think the soxr-based stuffing could be dependent on the output device (USB sound card vs Hifiberry)?

Btw, another way to get the commandline for shairport sync is `ps faux | grep shairport` -> copy from console. :)

Best,

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

Thx for ps faux cmd. Easy :-)

Airplay SoX interpolation is upstream of final audio output so it won't know whether the interface is USB or I2S.

The symptom "playback doesn't interrupt via Ethernet or without soxr stuffing on WiFi" suggests a WiFi issue.

I'd troubleshoot by first running a long duration ping test from MacBook to Pi (WiFi) then examine the ping stats for packet loss and really long RTT. You can also dump the Pi's WiFi adapter stats with iwconfig cmd and examine them for excessive retries, invalid misc, link qual, S/N ratio etc.

I've OC'd all my Pi-1B's to 1GHz from day 1 and no issues. They get continuous use. YMMV of course.

arm_freq=1000

core_freq=500

sdram_freq=500

over_voltage=6

-Tim

Hi Jonas,

Thx for ps faux cmd. Easy :-)

Airplay SoX interpolation is upstream of final audio output so it won't know whether the interface is USB or I2S.

The symptom "playback doesn't interrupt via Ethernet or without soxr stuffing on WiFi" suggests a WiFi issue.

I'd troubleshoot by first running a long duration ping test from MacBook to Pi (WiFi) then examine the ping stats for packet loss and really long RTT. You can also dump the Pi's WiFi adapter stats with iwconfig cmd and examine them for excessive retries, invalid misc, link qual, S/N ratio etc.

I've OC'd all my Pi-1B's to 1GHz from day 1 and no issues. They get continuous use. YMMV of course.

arm_freq=1000

core_freq=500

sdram_freq=500

over_voltage=6

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I temporarily switched back to my previous USB sound card without changing anything else and the issue is gone again.

Btw, my Pi is itself connected via Ethernet. So my network setup now:

Macbook -> WiFi -> Router -> Ethernet -> Pi

I discovered some difference in buffer size on ALSA side. Maybe that could be a pointer... Details on Github: https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/346#issuecomment-283580865

Overclocking: 24/7 use (= powered on) or only a few hours a day? I'm reluctant to turn the Pi on/off all the time, so I'd just leave it on. ;)

Cheers

Jonas

SOLVED: connect with cifs://moode/ instead of smb://moode/ work perfectly, even if I don't know why!

Bye

Andrea

Sorry Tim, but the problem is that: when connect my mac (user=pi,password=raspberry) with RPI music folder, pi is not allowed to write or handle. That folder appear with an icon as well: [ATTACH=CONFIG]33635[/ATTACH]

Where ma I wrong?

Thanks!

Andrea

UPDATE: I realized that I always connect as a "guest" and I can't connect as "pi"!

Hi Tim,

I temporarily switched back to my previous USB sound card without changing anything else and the issue is gone again.

Btw, my Pi is itself connected via Ethernet. So my network setup now:

Macbook -> WiFi -> Router -> Ethernet -> Pi

I discovered some difference in buffer size on ALSA side. Maybe that could be a pointer... Details on Github: https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/346#issuecomment-283580865

Overclocking: 24/7 use (= powered on) or only a few hours a day? I'm reluctant to turn the Pi on/off all the time, so I'd just leave it on. ;)

Cheers

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

Thats really interesting wrt the ALSA buffers. Look in shairport-sync.conf. There are some buffer settings that can be adjusted.

All my Raspberry Pi's are on 7/24/365. They really get hammered with software and OS changes, continuous music playback at max resampling, and sometimes they get abruptly powered off. I've never had a hardware failure and only one dead SD card in over 3 years. Its a remarkably robust platform.

On a Pi-1B I'd definitely go for OC and enjoy the nice bump in performance :-)

-Tim