IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Hi,

I've been testing Mike Brady's excellent shairport-sync Airplay receiver and it looks solid for Moode release 2.2 :-) Audio is in perfect to-the-ear sync at multiple Airplay receivers and locally on Macbook Air.

Here's something odd though with Apple music and Airplay.

When playing Beats 1 the multi-select volume control with the list of Airplay receivers is replaced by a single volume slider. Airplay has to be selected from the OS X system volume control via Option-click, and only one Airplay receiver can be selected.

This only occurs with Beats 1 and does not happen with the other Apple Music radio stations or with song file playback. See attached screen shots of Beats 1 playing vs the Chill station.

Regards,

TC

airplay-beats1.png

airplay-chill.png

Hi,

Just a brief status update on release 2.2

Testing some really nice contribs from PHP dev AGoetz :-)

- Album art lookup supporting embedded art in FLAC and MP3 files

- MPoD/MPaD client support

- Fix for duplicate Artists in the Library panel

- Library Loader V3

So far so good!

Also:

- Analog volume controls automatically set for IQaudIO+ devices

- Airplay receiver for synchronized multi-room audio (shairport-sync, Mike Brady)

Regards,

Tim Curtis

Dear Tim,

I read the review of the Moode on Part-Time Audiophile | Imagine Sisyphus Happy and directly started to use it. I tried several other configurations (squeezelite, ...) but each resulting in small cracks, while on my SB configuration I had good sound quality.

Feedback on the installation:

I needed to add "max_usb_current=1" to /boot/config.txt to have good access to the 2.5 inch USB drive.

Installation went smoothly and scanning 500GB music database on USB disk is FAST!

However playback does not work as my USB DAC is not supported. I have a Burson Conductor. I guess this can easily be solved as other distributions have support for this, isn't it? Any support is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Dear Tim,

I read the review of the Moode on Part-Time Audiophile | Imagine Sisyphus Happy and directly started to use it. I tried several other configurations (squeezelite, ...) but each resulting in small cracks, while on my SB configuration I had good sound quality.

Feedback on the installation:

I needed to add "max_usb_current=1" to /boot/config.txt to have good access to the 2.5 inch USB drive.

Installation went smoothly and scanning 500GB music database on USB disk is FAST!

However playback does not work as my USB DAC is not supported. I have a Burson Conductor. I guess this can easily be solved as other distributions have support for this, isn't it? Any support is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Couple things come to mind for the "No sound" issue.

(1) if DAC has hardware volume controller AND if MPD volume control set to either "Software" or "disabled" (MPD Config screen) then verify that ALSA volume = 100 (System Config screen)

(2) if DAC has UAC2 interface which I think it does, then apply fix #1 from AUDIO FIXES button on moodeaudio.org. Here is the fix:

Add "dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3" (without the quotes) to the beginning of line in /boot/cmdline.txt

NOTE: cmdline.txt can have only one line with no blank lines above it or it won't be parsed at boot time!

Regards,

Tim

Added a Hifiberry Digi+ clone to a RPi2 this evening, configured Moode 2.1 for the new hardware. Fed the coaxial output via a Zu Ash cable into a Teac-UD501 DAC. Seriously good.... I am thinking the Mac mini + Audirvana Plus combo i have had better think about alternate employment. Tim has really knocked it out of the park with this player. Listening to a few 'reference tracks' of mine the words fluid, effortless and organic spring to mind.

Hi, guys, could you please help me?

I've followed the instructions below:

4. ADD SOURCE CONTAINING MUSIC FILES

- USB STORAGE DEVICE

a) http:/moode

b) Menu, Configure, Sources

c) press UPDATE MPD DATABASE button

d) WAIT for completion (no spinner on the Browse tab)

e) click Browse tab then Menu, RefreshThen, after REFRESH button, I have the following screen:

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 9.33.19 PM.png

Then, when I press any of these USB I get this:

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 9.36.05 PM.png

And so, finally, I do not get access to my USB HDD, which is just 500GB.

Webradios are working. Only issue is about my USB HDD.

Any idea please?

Cheers,

João

Sorry, wakajazz, I don't know. Where I can look for this information?

What I can say is that this HDD works with Mac OS X Yosemite+Audirvana, Linux Ubuntu 14.04.03 LTS, Windows 7 and Rune Audio (the same Raspberry Pi 2 whith which I'm running Mooode).

Thanks,

João

Sorry, wakajazz, I don't know. Where I can look for this information?

What I can say is that this HDD works with Mac OS X Yosemite+Audirvana, Linux Ubuntu 14.04.03 LTS, Windows 7 and Rune Audio (the same Raspberry Pi 2 whith which I'm running Mooode).

Thanks,

João

With, the drive attached to your Mac, open Finder, navigate to Devices, right click choose Get Info see the Format item under General. Moode currently supports VFAT, NTFS, EXT2, 3 and 4.

WJ

Thank you!

Its format is Windows NT Filesystem.

Is it possible to convert its format?

João

If the format is currently NTFS (Windows NT Filesystem) then that should be OK. Sounds like a different issue.

Does the USB hard drive have it's own power supply/wall wart? Or does it require power via the USB connector?

It's USB powered. I'll try another one with its own PS.

Let's see if this works.

Thanks,

João

Hi João,

It could be the issue wakajazz describes where some non-powered USB drives don't get enough amperage (power) from Raspberry Pi USB port. There is a setting that can be added to double the power but u need to know a little Linux ssh to do this.

Moode release 2.2 will do this automatically by a setting on the System config page but if u want to try applying the setting manually on 2.1 send me email :-)

However, since your drive worked on other Raspberry Pi player, it may be a different issue so couple of questions:

(1) How long did MPD DB UPDATE take, and did you observe the HDD activity light blinking during the update?

(2) What did the Library panel show?

Regards,

Tim Curtis

Hi, Tim, thanks for your attention.

1 - When I press UPDATE MPB DB an "update initiated" shows. Nothing more. So I can not know if it's ready or not. I tried many times, waiting up to 15 minutes before press BROWSE and then REFRESH; HDD light blinks quickly during all the time as soon as I turno RPi2 on, not only during UPDATE MPB DB;

2 - The Library panel shows nothing more than its original divisions (album, artist...).

Thanks again,

João

Hi, Tim, thanks for your attention.

1 - When I press UPDATE MPB DB an "update initiated" shows. Nothing more. So I can not know if it's ready or not. I tried many times, waiting up to 15 minutes before press BROWSE and then REFRESH; HDD light blinks quickly during all the time as soon as I turno RPi2 on, not only during UPDATE MPB DB;

2 - The Library panel shows nothing more than its original divisions (album, artist...).

Thanks again,

João

Hi João,

The symptom (bolded above) was reported by another user and it was due to the "not enough power" issue. In this case the user switched to a powered USB attached HDD.

Regards,

Tim Curtis

You were right, wakajazz and Tim. Works perfectly with the other HDD.

Later, when ready, I'll try Moode 2.2: a USB powered HDD maybe implies less noise in the chain.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ah, listening to music now; it seems EXCELLENT, nothing behind Mac Yosemite+Audirvana. Congratulations, Tim!

João

Hi Pete,

Couple things come to mind for the "No sound" issue.

(1) if DAC has hardware volume controller AND if MPD volume control set to either "Software" or "disabled" (MPD Config screen) then verify that ALSA volume = 100 (System Config screen)

(2) if DAC has UAC2 interface which I think it does, then apply fix #1 from AUDIO FIXES button on moodeaudio.org. Here is the fix:

Add "dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3" (without the quotes) to the beginning of line in /boot/cmdline.txt

NOTE: cmdline.txt can have only one line with no blank lines above it or it won't be parsed at boot time!

Regards,

Tim

Dear Tim,

The addition of "dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3" is OK. No longer just noise from DAC! I play for 1 hour without any cracks/clips, so that's fine. I like to do a real A-B comparison later.

I tried to play SACD and high resolution flac (3mbps/96kHz). This results in many cracks. I made the following observations:

1) From the "Audio information" I conclude the bitrate is changed (input +- 3mbps, output +- 4mpbs)

2) From the "Customization section" the audio device is empty as my Burson Conductor is not in the list.

Do you have a solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Hi Tim,

Thanks for Moode.

I've been running Moode for a few days with my Raspberry Pi 2 and WIPIFI DAC+ V2 .

Love the amazing sound quality of Moode.

And love the SDCARD feature. I have a 64GB SDcard for Moode with several CD quality albums on it.

Now I get to do playback these albums without an attached USB Harddisk.

SACARD playback sounds great and I reduce the power consumption and wear on the harddisk.

Thanks for this excellent software. Great to see your close support :)

Rick