IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Hi Tim,

thanks for your effort.

Hi,

I tested HDMI connection and it worked without any configuration. What I observed is that ALSA resamples higher rate streams to 16/48 and leaves lower rate streams alone. For example 16/44.1 passes through as 16/44.1 while 24/96 is down sampled to 16/48.

I can confirm this.

It appears the stock audio driver for HDMI connection is configured for max 16/48. Here is a thread that talks about that, and also how it can be changed to a higher max rate but requires editing the driver .c code and then recompile of kernel.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/playing-96-24-and-192-24-raspberry-pi-through-hdmi-16190/

Regards,

Tim

I am not able to do do that, complete new to the linux stuff. But i wonder why playback is is working in Openelec/Kodi. OK, multichannel and very high sample rates are stuttering and crackling and gapless playback doesn't work, but sample rates are fine.

Best regards

Michael

Hi,

Moode release 2.0 is available for download at tcmods.org :)

This release includes Logarithmic volume control with adjustable slope and max volume capping for audio devices with hardware volume controllers, support for IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ and Hifimediy ES9023 audio devices, selectable album art lookup methods and new Linux kernel 3.18.14 with improved ALSA audio subsystem, updated I2S overlay drivers, and other fixes and improvements.

Also included in this release are some great new radio stations and a variety of updates and bug fixes. Refer to the attached release notes for details.

Enjoy!

Regards,

tcmods.org

Moode on Twitter

TC

======================

2.0 Release 2015-06-26

======================

New features

- NEW: Logarithmic volume curve for hardware volume controllers

- NEW: Support for IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ and Hifimediy ES9023 I2S audio devices

- NEW: Album art lookup methods: Default, EAC, Embedded (place holder), All

- NEW: Linux kernel 3.18.14+ (default) and 3.18.11+ added to kernel select

Media

- NEW: Africa Goes Angeln

- NEW: BBC Radio 3

- NEW: France Inter Paris (FIP)

- NEW: Radio New Zealand - Concert

- NEW: Radio New Zealand - National

Updates

- UPD: Improved volume mute management

- UPD: Add Volume settings to Audio info popup

- UPD: Coding for ALSA changes in new kernels

- UPD: Changes to /boot/config.txt for new kernels

- UPD: Instrument Library load with debug logger

- UPD: Streamline main menu, place config page links on popup

- UPD: Add on-demand help for ALSA volume field on System Config

- UPD: Increase duration of Notify message for kernel update

- UPD: Add "x20" and "G1V5" to MPD Audio device friendly name logic

- UPD: Add PHP www-data user to visudo (ALL) so ALSA cmds execute

- UPD: Drop support for kernels 3.10.36 and 3.12.26

- UPD: Add audio device descriptions to database: Hifimediy ES9023, IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+,

- UPD: cont. LH Labs Geek Pulse X-Fi, Perreaux Audiant 80i, Schitt Modi 2

- UPD: Add first/last page btns to Customization settings popup

- UPD: Edit readme/setup instructions to reflect changes

- UPD: Change URL and add alias logos for NTS Live London radio station

- UPD: Add work-around logic to handle missing metadata from NTS Live and FIP stations

- UPD: Add major feature idea contributors to About popup

Bug fixes

- FIX: UPnP renderer sometimes disappears from JRiver list

- FIX: Bad formatting for 22.05 and 32 kHz Output rates on Audio info popup

- FIX: 384 kHz sample rate not being parsed for Audio info popup

- FIX: Kernel select not showing Notify message after kernel change submitted

- FIX: Incorrect right margin of "aftertext" on controls that have help/info button

- FIX: Audio device description lookup key missing for RME Fireface UCX

- FIX: Automatic unmute for IQaudIO Pi-AMP+ not working on Pi-B+ machine

- FIX: Mixer name not being set correctly for Hifiberry Amp(Amp+)

player-r20-1.png

player-r20-4.png

player-r20-5.png

moode-r20-radio-stns.png

Hi,

The feature coding is complete for SD Card expansion A local folder named SDCARD will be part of MPD folder set. This will enable big SD Cards to be used for storing music! A test release will be available next week for those that would like to try it out.

Screen shots attached.

Regards,

TC

moode-r21-sdcardexp-yes.png

moode-r21-sdcardexp-msg.png

moode-r21-sdcardexp-stats.png

Hi,

Moode 2.1 Test Release #1 is available for download at moodeaudio.org via the Test Code button.

This test release includes the following:

(1) Expand SD Card Storage

(2) SDCARD folder on Browse panel

(3) SDCARD, USB2/3/4 samba share names

(4) Disable volume knob when MPD volume control set to disabled

Refer to attached screen shots. Enjoy!

Regards,

Moodeaudio.org

Moode on Twitter

TC

moode-r21-volknob-disable.png

moode-r21-sdcard-expand.png

Hi Developers,

Loved the player, better than Volumio.(except that volumio has an Android app) Love the radio stations, but they are very less. Can we have a feature to add a radio stream/url, that would make the player much versatile ...... everything else is just perfect..

Once more thing I noticed the volume at 100% for Mood is much less than 100% of volumio .... no idea the reason just noticed so mentioned here ....

Hi Developers,

Loved the player, better than Volumio.(except that volumio has an Android app) Love the radio stations, but they are very less. Can we have a feature to add a radio stream/url, that would make the player much versatile ...... everything else is just perfect..

Once more thing I noticed the volume at 100% for Mood is much less than 100% of volumio .... no idea the reason just noticed so mentioned here ....

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

(1) add a radio stream/url,

In Browse WEBRADIO, click action menu button for any item then "Create new station".

(2) volume at 100% for Mood is much less

If MPD volume control is set to Software (MPD config page) then set ALSA volume to 100% (System config page).

What DAC are you using?

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

(1) add a radio stream/url,

In Browse WEBRADIO, click action menu button for any item then "Create new station".

(2) volume at 100% for Mood is much less

If MPD volume control is set to Software (MPD config page) then set ALSA volume to 100% (System config page).

What DAC are you using?

Regards,

Tim

1. ok cool got my radio station working .... :).

2. MPD volume is set to software by default, and ASLA volume is greyed out (i cannot input anything) says PCM volume mixer not detected for attached audio device. Do you want me to try changing MPD volume to Hardware and see.

3. I am using an inexpensive usb dac from creative called creative sound blaster play! 2. Wonder if thats the reason but I get much higher volume from volumio from the same DAC

4. Once more thing, initially I mounted my USB with like 200 songs and the library after like couple of minutes displayed everything correctly. But when I mounted my NAS drive(SMB) that actually have my entire collection of 20000 songs the library got stuck at "LOADING.." and even after like 15-20 minutes I could not get the listing. Basically it crashed the player coz i was not able to even browse any drive via Browse page. Had to reboot the device to get things working.

Hope 20000 songs were not too many for the library to display ...... I dont know. I just thought to let you know ...

Hi All,

People who are missing an Android Controller for Moode, I was able to find this awsome MPD Remote called Mupeace. It has an awsome clear interface remote for your MPD client. Can be used to control any MPD based player like Moode or volumio (though volumio has its own android app). Do check out ... :)

1. ok cool got my radio station working .... :).

2. MPD volume is set to software by default, and ASLA volume is greyed out (i cannot input anything) says PCM volume mixer not detected for attached audio device. Do you want me to try changing MPD volume to Hardware and see.

3. I am using an inexpensive usb dac from creative called creative sound blaster play! 2. Wonder if thats the reason but I get much higher volume from volumio from the same DAC

4. Once more thing, initially I mounted my USB with like 200 songs and the library after like couple of minutes displayed everything correctly. But when I mounted my NAS drive(SMB) that actually have my entire collection of 20000 songs the library got stuck at "LOADING.." and even after like 15-20 minutes I could not get the listing. Basically it crashed the player coz i was not able to even browse any drive via Browse page. Had to reboot the device to get things working.

Hope 20000 songs were not too many for the library to display ...... I dont know. I just thought to let you know ...

Hi,

(1) says PCM volume mixer not detected for attached audio device.

I could not find any information on what DAC chip this device uses to see if it includes a hardware volume controller, but according to the test that Moode uses, it does not.

If you know a little Linux ssh, run the command "amixer". If it does not return anything then Linux/ALSA did not see a hardware volume controller on the device.

The 3.18.14 Linux kernel that Moode uses included some changes in ALSA so perhaps this is what is causing the lower volume output.

How low is it at 100 knob setting?

(2) Hope 20000 songs were not too many for the library to display

My test collection contains 17K ALAC tracks on USB HDD and works just fine. It takes about 12 minutes for MPD database update to complete and then about 20 secs for the Library to load.

However, the Library is not loading for some users with large collections. I've been able to isolate the failure to a particular PHP function that is crashing but its not evident why yet.

If you want to follow the investigation of this bug and other Moode related developments then take a look at Moode Twitter feed. I usually post something every day :)

Regards,

Moodeaudio.org

Moode on Twitter

Tim

Hi All,

People who are missing an Android Controller for Moode, I was able to find this awsome MPD Remote called Mupeace. It has an awsome clear interface remote for your MPD client. Can be used to control any MPD based player like Moode or volumio (though volumio has its own android app). Do check out ... :)

I am using Chrome via wifi on my android phone as a remote. Works fine as the whole interface is available. A bit more screen space would be better, so I'm considering a Fire tablet down the road.

Skip

Hi,

As Skip points out, there really is no need for a separate remote control application for Moode.

The entire Moode UI is Web based and is designed to scale from Smartphone sized screens to desktop panels, and being Web based, Moode can be running on multiple devices simultaneously.

For example using a Smartphone for control and an iPad or All-in-One located in the viewing plane to provide a nice display of the UI showing Album art.

Regards,

Tim

Hello,

I'm trying Moode with a Raspberry Pi 2. The SQ is splendid (I use a HifiBerry Digi+) and I really like the radio streamings that Moode provides (especially FIP !)

However, I can access and launch the files from the NAS using the Browse tab where I can see all the mounting points I have declared but nothing appear using the Library tab.

I updated the sources many times, tried the last test release 2.1 as well with alas the same disappointing result.

Did I miss something ?

Best,

LLZZ

Hello,

I'm trying Moode with a Raspberry Pi 2. The SQ is splendid (I use a HifiBerry Digi+) and I really like the radio streamings that Moode provides (especially FIP !)

However, I can access and launch the files from the NAS using the Browse tab where I can see all the mounting points I have declared but nothing appear using the Library tab.

I updated the sources many times, tried the last test release 2.1 as well with alas the same disappointing result.

Did I miss something ?

Best,

LLZZ

Hi,

FIP is a really great station, very unique :)

The "Library fails to load for some collections" issue has been isolated to a PHP function that crashes before completing.

Its not clear to me why the function does not complete but I'm probably not going to spend much more time trying to figure it out and instead just rewrite it using iteration (if possible) instead of recursion which it currently uses.

This may fix the problem and if not, it should make it easier to debug.

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

Rewriting the problematic PHP function to use iteration instead of recursion to generate the flat view of the MPD database is showing promising results :)

A user provided 14.5K song test collection on USB HDD that would not load at all now loads in under 10 secs. I added 3.5K songs from my own collection for a total of 18K tracks and no issues. Loads in 10 secs.

I'll try to put together a test release tonight. If you would like to try it out send email to tim at moodeaudio dot org.

Regards,

TC

Hi,

Moode Audio Player release 2.1 is available for download at moodeaudio.org :-)

This release includes a new SD Card expansion feature with associated SDCARD folder in Browse panel and SDCARD Samba/SMB share name, support for CM6631A USB/SPDIF converter and Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO I2S audio devices, and a header button for smart phone sized screens that provides easy toggle between knobs and album art.

Also included in this release are three great new radio stations from Soma FM, a variety of updates including a redesigned Library loader, radio station name space and tag handler, and several bug fixes. Refer to the attached release notes for details.

NOTE: The new ThistleRadio station from Soma FM is hand curated by the incredible Fiona Ritchie.

SomaFM: About Your ThistleRadio DJ

Enjoy!

Regards,

moodeaudio.org

Moode on Twitter

Tim

======================

2.1 Release 2015-07-31

======================

New features

- NEW: Expand SD Card storage to max size of card

- NEW: SDCARD music folder in Browse panel

- NEW: Samba/smb share names for SDCARD, USB2/3/4, RADIO

- NEW: Button to page between knobs and album art on small screens

Media

- NEW: Soma FM - Fluid: Drown in the electronic sound of instrumental hiphop, future soul and liquid trap.

- NEW: Soma FM - Left Coast 70s: Mellow album rock from the Seventies. Yacht friendly.

- NEW: Soma FM - ThistleRadio: Exploring music from Celtic roots and branches.

Update

- UPD: Improved Library loader based on new method for traversing mpd db

- UPD: Library action menu includes Add and play (all), Add, replace, play (all)

- UPD: Improved handling and display of partially tagged or untagged collections

- UPD: Radio station name space based on station file name and URL

- UPD: Disable and dim volume knob when MPD volume control set to "disabled"

- UPD: Add USB device name "Audio" to MPD config friendly name logic

- UPD: Add CM6631A USB/SPDIF converter to audio device db

- UPD: Add NAD D 3020 Integrated Amp to audio device db

- UPD: Add chip spec for Hifiberry Digi+ in audio device db

- UPD: Add Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO to audio device db

- UPD: Shovel & broom to remove some legacy code/files

Bug fixes

- FIX: Playback controls visible on config pages when on small screen

- FIX: Song file w/o title tag incorrectly labled as "Streaming source"

- FIX: Incorrect decode bit depth for dsd/dsf on Audio info popup

player-r21-1.png

fluid-400.jpg

seventies400.jpg

thistle-400.jpg

Having no luck trying to expand my SD card, set the option to ON, pi rebooted and option returned to off and no SD card showing in browser window. I am connected via WiFi, could this be the problem? Thanks

Hi,

(1) WiFi or Ethernet connection should not make a difference.

(2) The option "Expand SD Card storage" will reset back to "NO" after rebooting. This is normal behavior for this setting.

(3) The SDCARD folder won't be listed in the Browse panel if (a) it does not contain any song files, or (b) it contains song files but MPD database has not been updated yet.

There is an SMB share named SDCARD that refers to the local SDCARD folder. This can be used as a destination for copying song files.

Regards,

TC