IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Hi,

A new version of knob.sh is available for download and testing at

http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/knob.sh.zip

This version supports mute toggle and volume stepping to better support IR remotes.

Examples:

/var/www/knob.sh 10

/var/www/knob.sh mute (this will toggle the mute state)

/var/www/knob.sh up 3

/var/www/knob.sh down 3

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

finally I had some time testing, and I found a couple of things.

When I went from playback via Airplay to normal playback the sound was distorted, and it turned out that the ALSA volume was now at 100, not at the normal 40.

When I add my complete library to the playlist, moode (or the browser I use) becomes very slow and sometimes completely unresponsive.

Is this known problems?

J

Hi,

finally I had some time testing, and I found a couple of things.

When I went from playback via Airplay to normal playback the sound was distorted, and it turned out that the ALSA volume was now at 100, not at the normal 40.

When I add my complete library to the playlist, moode (or the browser I use) becomes very slow and sometimes completely unresponsive.

Is this known problems?

J

Hi,

Yes they are known issues, and I think I may have good solutions for them :-)

(1) The Airplay receiver controls ALSA volume directly and does not go through MPD volume control so we end up with separate volumes. Ii's on my to-do list for Moode 2.5 to save Moode volume setting before Airplay starts then restore it after Airplay finishes.

(2) Since Playlist resides in Browser memory, the UI will become sluggish if an entire collection is loaded into the Playlist for example for random play. Moode 2.4 will have a setting to turn off the Playlist.

Regards,

Tim

Dear TimCurtis,

I'm new to Raspberry Pi 2.

I just downloaded and installed moOde. Internet radio is working and I don't have problems with red books and Hi-res files. They sounds great! Great work! I also manage do disable volume control (I'm using integrated amplifier with volume control).

I have problem with DSD. My USB DAC: LKS MH-DA003 supports DSD64,128,256 in native which I was able to test with PC/Foobar.

With MoOde option "DSD audio support yes" DAC is reporting "DSD 64" on the screen without problems but "DSD 256" are not working. I can see "PCM384K" on the screen and silence. After switching 'DSD audio support no" I can play and hear all DSD files but they are converted to PCM which is reported by DAC as "PCM384K".

I found that my DAC requires windows driver (probably Amanero) to play DSD 256 and DSD 512 over USB. Can it be the source of the problem? For reference: Musound(L.K.S Audio)

I found "Audio device description" in "Customize" Menu but my DAC is not on the list.

Dear TimCurtis,

I'm new to Raspberry Pi 2.

I just downloaded and installed moOde. Internet radio is working and I don't have problems with red books and Hi-res files. They sounds great! Great work! I also manage do disable volume control (I'm using integrated amplifier with volume control).

I have problem with DSD. My USB DAC: LKS MH-DA003 supports DSD64,128,256 in native which I was able to test with PC/Foobar.

With MoOde option "DSD audio support yes" DAC is reporting "DSD 64" on the screen without problems but "DSD 256" are not working. I can see "PCM384K" on the screen and silence. After switching 'DSD audio support no" I can play and hear all DSD files but they are converted to PCM which is reported by DAC as "PCM384K".

I found that my DAC requires windows driver (probably Amanero) to play DSD 256 and DSD 512 over USB. Can it be the source of the problem? For reference: Musound(L.K.S Audio)

I found "Audio device description" in "Customize" Menu but my DAC is not on the list.

Hi,

I'll add "LKS MH-DA003" to the audio device database for Moode 2.4 release, then you will be able to select it from the Customize menu and it will appear in the Audio Information popup :-)

The wording and help text for "DSD audio support" needs updating but here is what it means:

(1) Yes = Send native DSD if device driver supports it, otherwise send DSD over PCM (DoP). If DAC does not support DoP there may be no sound or distorted sound!

(2) No = Send native DSD if device driver supports it, otherwise perform DSD to PCM on-the-fly conversion and send PCM.

I'll clean up the wording for release 2.4

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the LKS support!

Going back to the problem. I'm able to play DSD 64 files with "yes". I'm not sure how they are moving to DAC. Probably as DoP but it's impossible to check. I'm not able to play DSD 256. In the mean time I verified that Volumio has the same problem with DSD 256. I was able to play DSD64 with DoP ON (there is separate line for this option). Can it be that some kind of Amanero driver is required to play native and I will not be able to play DSD256 with Raspberry Pi 2?

Which android controller is the best to use with moOde? I was trying Buble DS but moOde didn't appear in menu. Probably requires some extra settings.

michelemezza, thank you for input. How you are transporting data to DAC? I2S? Can it handle DSD? Today I made I2s cable and connected between moOde and LKS DAC. I specified in i2s moOde settings "general". It's working for PCM up to 24/192! But it doesn't with DSD...

michelemezza, thank you for input. How you are transporting data to DAC? I2S? Can it handle DSD? Today I made I2s cable and connected between moOde and LKS DAC. I specified in i2s moOde settings "general". It's working for PCM up to 24/192! But it doesn't with DSD...

Hi Tribon,

currently I'm transporting data using AESEBU cable. My DAC is an old but still excellent PS Audio SL Three that accepts only 44.1

At the moment my music collection is only 44.1 format based on my cd copies.

I'm thinking about accomplish the "big step" to high res files with a new DAC using I2S connection.

As far android controller is concerned, you can use Mupeace or even easier the web UI on your android browser

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the LKS support!

Going back to the problem. I'm able to play DSD 64 files with "yes". I'm not sure how they are moving to DAC. Probably as DoP but it's impossible to check. I'm not able to play DSD 256. In the mean time I verified that Volumio has the same problem with DSD 256. I was able to play DSD64 with DoP ON (there is separate line for this option). Can it be that some kind of Amanero driver is required to play native and I will not be able to play DSD256 with Raspberry Pi 2?

Which android controller is the best to use with moOde? I was trying Buble DS but moOde didn't appear in menu. Probably requires some extra settings.

Hi,

After I get Moode release 2.4 out the door in the next day or two I'll spend some time on the DSD issues and try to determine what is needed to resolve them.

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

Moode Audio Player release 2.4 is available for download at moodeaudio.org :-)

This release includes new Linux kernel, latest version of MPD and updated ALSA utils plus a variety of updates, bug fixes, new I2S DAC's and a really great selection of user contributed listener-supported, commercial-free radio stations.

Note that external scripts can now access current song metadata including albumart url and radio station logo url via the new currentsong.txt file.

Refer to release notes for details.

Enjoy!

Regards,

moodeaudio.org

Moode Twitter Feed

Tim Curtis

======================

2.4 Release 2015-10-30

======================

New features

- NEW: Linux kernel version 4.1.10+ Raspbian (Jessie)

- NEW: MPD version 0.19.10 compiled with pipe, recorder and httpd options

- NEW: Support for exFAT file system

- NEW: Support for CUE sheets (.cue files)

- NEW: Autoplay last played item after player start (System config setting)

- NEW: Knob.sh mute toggle, up/down step, print current volume, volume limit check

- NEW: Current song metadata and coverart URL written to currentsong.txt file

- NEW: Playlist display-disable Customize setting for random play large collection

Media

- NEW: Absolute Radio 00s

- NEW: Absolute Radio 60s

- NEW: Absolute Radio 70s

- NEW: Absolute Radio 80s

- NEW: Absolute Radio 90s

- NEW: Classic And Jazz

- NEW: Dynamic Range Radio

- NEW: France Culture

- NEW: France Musique

- NEW: Jazz24

- NEW: KDHX 88.1 FM St. Louis

- NEW: Koffee

- NEW: La Premiere

- NEW: Mad Music Asylum

- NEW: Musiq 3

- NEW: Radio Monte Carlo FM - RMC 1

- NEW: Radio Swiss Jazz

- NEW: RadioActive FM 88.6

Updates

- UPD: I2S audio device selection automatically populates Customize and Audio info popups

- UPD: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro Dual Clock, PlainDAC and PlainDAC+ added to i2s select and device db

- UPD: Audiophonics PCM5122 DAC, Lucid Labs Raspberry Pi DAC and Mamboberry DAC+ added to i2s select and device db

- UPD: Arcam irDAC, Chord 2Qute, QuteHD (S/PDIF), LKS MH-DA003 and Nuforce HDP DAC added to device database

- UPD: ifi AUdio Nano iDsD, and Matrix Mini-i Pro added to device database

- UPD: Compensate for blank Title tag transmitted by some radio stations

- UPD: Compensate for really long url being sent in Title tag by Classic And Jazz station

- UPD: Disable kernel select feature pending future removal due to lack of use

- UPD: Automatically set Analog volume controls for HiFiBerry DAC+ and DAC+ Pro

- UPD: Change "Delete item(s)" to "Remove item(s)" in Playlist action menu and popup

- UPD: Improved help text on Network configuration page

- UPD: Setup instructions have more detail for easier WiFi setup

- UPD: Improve label and help text for DSD audio on MPD config page

- UPD: Update MPD "audio buffer size" and "fill before play %" to new defaults

- UPD: Update libav-tools to version 6.11.4, alsa-utils to version 1.0.28

- UPD: Update /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf for new card ordering reqts in alsa-utils 1.0.28

- UPD: Change from using mapped ALSA volume to straight percentage in System config

- UPD: Selected Playlist item remains highlighted after pause/stop for improved visibility

Bug fixes

- FIX: Cover image extract issue for specific m4a format

- FIX: Slider controls on config pages not changing to theme color on iPad

- FIX: Incorrect parsing of radio station url when it contains "=" char

- FIX: Controls mis-aligned on System config page when using IE/Chrome

- FIX: Upmpdcli always being started via init.d script at boot time

- FIX: AAC decode bit depth shows as "f" instead of a bit depth, assume decode to 24 bit

- FIX: Network config Apply Settings if pressed for existing WiFi conection, deletes setting

- FIX: Excessive MPD logging ("verbose") causing potential performance issue

- FIX: Inaccurate positioning for customScroll when varying item heights in Playlist

player-r24-1.png

- UPD: Update MPD "audio buffer size" and "fill before play %" to new defaults

I'm curious, how did you pick the new defaults? I'm trying to get high bitrate streaming working smoothly on my slightly lacklustre WiFi connection and I'd be interested to see if tweaking these values would help.

Cheers for the update by the way! Particularly enjoying the DAC+ Pro support.

I'm curious, how did you pick the new defaults? I'm trying to get high bitrate streaming working smoothly on my slightly lacklustre WiFi connection and I'd be interested to see if tweaking these values would help.

Cheers for the update by the way! Particularly enjoying the DAC+ Pro support.

Hi,

Got them from MPD documentation.

Other Settings

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

Added the very nice ES9032 based Mamboberry HiFi DAC+ to Moode 2.4 :-)

Regards,

Tim

Tim thank you very much for the addition of our Mamboberry HiFi DAC+ to your list and all the good

words you said!!:)

It means a lot for us!

Everything works just fine! Excellent job and we are very happy to see the newly MPD 0.19.10 already in a software!!!!!

Perfect!!

Thank you from the Collybia Team! :)

Hi Tim.

Thank you for update. Just downloaded and now listening to music. Quick and easy!

Going back to DSD256 I got such info on another forum from b0bb:

"DSD on the RPi is via DSD-Over-PCM (DoP) and it tops out at DSD128. DoP passthru requires ALSA hardware passthru, how that is done is player specific, Squeezelite uses the following command squeezelite-armv6hf -o hw:Amanero

There are experimental patches for the RPi Linux kernel for native DSD that is not encapsulated in PCM and for DSD256 and above but nothing official"

Hi Tim.

Thank you for update. Just downloaded and now listening to music. Quick and easy!

Going back to DSD256 I got such info on another forum from b0bb:

"DSD on the RPi is via DSD-Over-PCM (DoP) and it tops out at DSD128. DoP passthru requires ALSA hardware passthru, how that is done is player specific, Squeezelite uses the following command squeezelite-armv6hf -o hw:Amanero

There are experimental patches for the RPi Linux kernel for native DSD that is not encapsulated in PCM and for DSD256 and above but nothing official"

Hi,

Good info, thanks.

It looks like native DSD support for MPD based players like Moode requires three pieces:

(1) Linux kernel with support for native DSD in USB driver. Kernel 4.1.10+ is ok.

(2) ALSA version 1.0.29

(3) MPD 0.19.x series recompiled against ALSA 1.0.29 libs + MPD requires an additional patch

Eventually #2 and #3 will make their way into mainline Linux and MPD but ahead of that I'll see if I can put something together for a Moode test release :-)

Regards,

Tim