IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

The download link for the image seems to contain a typo. I found this link to work:

wget http://files.computeraudiophile.com/CA-NetAudio/CA-NetAudio-1.0.img.zip

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

^ This is a great post CA...! Thanks so much for this..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I've been looking for a 2nd renderer solution for a headphone station and the cost/size is right. Appreciate the detailed (and easy) instructions, other like projects required an understanding of Linux to be successful. One question; is there a way with this to limit /transcode to the 96khz limit of the AQ Dragonfly?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Regarding drivers; Any USB Audio Class 2.0 DAC will work with Linux. DACs that require proprietary drivers will probably won't. Also, +1 for using MPD. One of the most optimized high quality music players out there.

Great post. One of the most informative and helpful pieces I have read on CA and the type of information I expected to find when I discovered this site.

I wonder how this would work with Audio Station on a Synology NAS? Will that stream in hi-res? How can one verify the streaming resolution to this renderer?

Excellent. This is information that budget audio geeks crave.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Nice article, Chris. One question: When deploying multiple devices, how are they distinguishable on the network? I'm thinking of deploying 4 or 5 to various locations in a large home.

This can be done a few different ways.

1. If using an app like JRiver as the media server you can simply right click the renderer and select rename. This would allow unique names such as Kitchen, Den, Living Room, etc... and these names appear in the JRemote interface as well.

2. If you want each device to appear with a different name no matter what applications are used you can get a little geeky and log into the renderer via SSH and change the name in a configuration file. It's not difficult, but can seem like rocket science for the untechnical.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'll add my compliments. Seems like this hardware might be able to be used as an NAA for HQPlayer without a lot of trouble.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've been looking for a 2nd renderer solution for a headphone station and the cost/size is right. Appreciate the detailed (and easy) instructions, other like projects required an understanding of Linux to be successful. One question; is there a way with this to limit /transcode to the 96khz limit of the AQ Dragonfly?

Using a device like the Dragonfly raises another issue as well, that is it's use of software control attenuation. You have to log into the renderer and open alsamixer to set the volume on the dragonfly.

I think it may be easier to set the media server software like JRiver to downsample to 96 kHz rather than setup the renderer to handle this.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If using JRIver it is under DLNA settings, server->audio->advanced options

If using Minimserver it is a Minimstreamer transcode command in properties (see here)

User guide

Scroll down to here: For an output type of wav, wav16, wav24, L16 or L24, you can change the output sample rate by adding the suffix

;samplerate [NEW]

Regarding drivers; Any USB Audio Class 2.0 DAC will work with Linux. DACs that require proprietary drivers will probably won't. Also, +1 for using MPD. One of the most optimized high quality music players out there.

Great, great job. Any idea whether Hugo will work with this renderer?

Great, great job. Any idea whether Hugo will work with this renderer?

Yes, Hugo works with renderers. I've reported here on it several times (Rendu, JPlaystreamer, Aries).

Using a device like the Dragonfly raises another issue as well, that is it's use of software control attenuation. You have to log into the renderer and open alsamixer to set the volume on the dragonfly.

I think it may be easier to set the media server software like JRiver to downsample to 96 kHz rather than setup the renderer to handle this.

I'm not familiar with using MPD as a DLNA renderer and maybe it is different to the standard MPD mode. But you can set up the alsa mixer settings in /etc/mpd.conf and control the volume from an MPD client app. That's what I did when I was driving my B&W MM-1 speakers with a Raspberry Pi and MPD.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I'm not familiar with using MPD as a DLNA renderer and maybe it is different to the standard MPD mode. But you can set up the alsa mixer settings in /etc/mpd.conf and control the volume from an MPD client app. That's what I did when I was driving my B&W MM-1 speakers with a Raspberry Pi and MPD.

Hi Richard - In the image I have the volume control set to "Software" in mpd.conf. This allows JRiver to control the attenuation, but I don't believe it allows JRiver to control the analog volume control on the physical Dragonfly device.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Please let me know, as your advice is always excellent!

I just tested setting it to "hardware" in the mid.conf as well and it didn't change the volume on the Dragonfly. The "software" setting doesn't change it either. With it set to software the volume does get attenuated, but not the actual analog volume control on the Dragonfly.

Fantastic work, Chris!

Do you think it would be possible to create a wireless version of this by adding the wireless USB dongle with antenna (http://www.logicsupply.com/uwn200/)? I imagine in this case, you would need to connect to your DAC using the miniUSB port.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I just tested setting it to "hardware" in the mid.conf as well and it didn't change the volume on the Dragonfly. The "software" setting doesn't change it either. With it set to software the volume does get attenuated, but not the actual analog volume control on the Dragonfly.

I'll have to try out your image and play with it with my MM-1s to see if I get set the volume. Here are the settings I had to control the MM-1 volume on a Pi:

audio_output {

type "alsa"

name "B&W MM-1 Speakers"

device "hw:1,0"

mixer_device "hw:1"

}

mixer_type "hardware"

Maybe you are missing the 'mixer_device "hw:1"' line or similar in the dragonfly config?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Fantastic work, Chris!

Do you think it would be possible to create a wireless version of this by adding the wireless USB dongle with antenna (http://www.logicsupply.com/uwn200/)? I imagine in this case, you would need to connect to your DAC using the miniUSB port.

Thanks kumakuma.

The only way this is possible is through the use of a USB hub. I haven't tried it yet. The port you are looking at is actual microHDMI.

I'll have to try out your image and play with it with my MM-1s to see if I get set the volume. Here are the settings I had to control the MM-1 volume on a Pi:

audio_output {

type "alsa"

name "B&W MM-1 Speakers"

device "hw:1,0"

mixer_device "hw:1"

}

mixer_type "hardware"

Maybe you are missing the 'mixer_device "hw:1"' line or similar in the dragonfly config?

BINGO! That's it! Now the volume control within JRiver and JRemote controls the analog volume on the DragonFly.

Thanks Richard!