IGNORED

The "official" Pioneer N-P01 network streamer thread

hi again, thanks alot for getting back to me

the links you provide are much appriciated,

I expect they will guide me in the right way to a working solution.

>what did you actually mean by a "tiny little NAS with USB"?

I mean : a little unit with a USB connector and Ethernet connector

that makes my USB drive work as a NAS for the Pioneer,

by tiny I mean : fit behind the Pioneer so I can not see it from the front

(real NAS drives for PC usage are normally quite big)

About my WIFI, all my internet stuff is located on my other floor, I like it that way,

no wired internet needed or wanted in my hifi room below, I still have a perfect radio level here,

so my pioneer is happy and online, and so are all other things like ipads and phones.

I am a little bit aware about the raspberry, just seen them working a few times, my friends got them,

but never actually used, or even touched one my self yet, so i expect to ask them a bit to check your links

and help me installing the right programs, once this works, I get a nice black case for it, and hide it away.

Why I like USB drives so much : pocket size, ultra portable, visit friends and share files..

(only legal files offcourse)

Ok, so at least I did understand you do want the Pioneer to access your USB drive stored files using a NAS ,ie, over the network, though you'd prefer the NAS to be WiFi connected. Well hopefully the Raspberry Pi 3 will work out as the ideal 'tiny NAS' for this purpose.

I can certainly understand your reasons for using USB drives. Also, using a media server makes searching & selecting of your music file tracks (via its music category database) for the Pioneer so much easier than just using the storage drive's file system. So a networked computer running a UPnP media server for the files on a connected USB drive would give you the benefit of both.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

hi again,

I have been reading a bit more about the whole music server "thing"

but as you know, dont have one my self yet.

I have ripped all my CD's to full quality WAV files, i

for naming I use: artist - cd name, puplish year and CD for full CD quality,

some of my older rips are in MP3, so in that case my folder ends with MP3,

just to let me know I need to find the disc and re-rip it, in case I like to fine listen to it,

or simply delete it, if I dont like it that much as the bytes it uses.

Question :

How will the music server, know how to categorize my 1000 folders ?

or do I need to solve this manually ?

and if I dont, my music server is nothing smarter than just a usb drive with files and folders to search thru.

Please educate me :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up : Got tired of my N-P01 so it is now send back.

Reasons : rare random reboots while playing, not possible to recreate by playing the same file, it just happens.

Firmware upgrade tried, new file got lower number from what my player was shipped with,

dont know if I got a downgrade or upgrade.

Control App not flexible, lock out other users if forgot to close app, no clear error message,

just the same network erroras if network or unit is turned off,

I had to run arround my house, find all pads, check for controll app running in the background,

close it, then restart it on the wanted phone or pad, then I can start music again.

------------

My solution : See other Thread :-) to keep this one at correct subject.

• 4 months later...

Great player. Luv the Spotify integration, but One year since a firmware update? Huh????

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Hi Wap, good to hear from you mate.

What fixes/enhancements from your original list are you still waiting for from a firmware update?

Still searching for that illusive multichannel streamer (with gapless) too, presumably?

John

Edit: Scrub the last question, just spotted your latest thread! Great minds eh? :)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Wap, good to hear from you mate.

What fixes/enhancements from your original list are you still waiting for from a firmware update?

Still searching for that illusive multichannel streamer (with gapless) too, presumably?

John

Edit: Scrub the last question, just spotted your latest thread! Great minds eh? :)

yep!!!! LOL

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

What fixes...? Well maybe Adding Tidal? then again.. nah... (see my other thread LOL)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Afternoon all.

After reading dozens of reviews and comments, I've decided the N-P01 is for me.

• value for money
  • sound quality
  • album cover support
  • gapless playback with FLAC
  • spotify

I've asked questions in my local Richer Sounds (which involved staff bickering with each other) and I've asked the same in a h-brow hi-fi shop that stocks the N-P01 (where I got talked down to and patronized) so I still have a genuine concern over the following...

• NAS drive (compatible recommendations needed please)
    or
  • Is a 1Tb storage device a more cost-effective solution?
  • The Control App (it's been described as clunky), any good or are there alternatives?
  • Playlists, are they put together in the app or is this a no-no? 

Thanks in advance

CK

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

In the SMPS of the N-P01 there are 3 voltage branches. 3V3, 15V and 22V.  The 3V3 and the 15V branches have both 2 schottky's parallel. For the 15V this is 2 x SS315.  One of these diodes was broken and a short circuit. I have replaced them by 2 x MBRS4201T3G

which has 50V  (200V) more reverse and 1A  (4A) more forward but has still the same case.

If you are  looking at the cap for the 22V which is 100uF/50V  then you probably will notice that this one is almost "blowing" so maybe it's better to replace it also. I used a 100uF/100V Rubycon as replacement.

Total cost +/- 3 euro.

On 27/07/2017 at 1:58 PM, Casa Karma said:

Afternoon all.

After reading dozens of reviews and comments, I've decided the N-P01 is for me.

• value for money
  • sound quality
  • album cover support
  • gapless playback with FLAC
  • spotify

I've asked questions in my local Richer Sounds (which involved staff bickering with each other) and I've asked the same in a h-brow hi-fi shop that stocks the N-P01 (where I got talked down to and patronized) so I still have a genuine concern over the following...

• NAS drive (compatible recommendations needed please)
    or
  • Is a 1Tb storage device a more cost-effective solution?
  • The Control App (it's been described as clunky), any good or are there alternatives?
  • Playlists, are they put together in the app or is this a no-no? 

Thanks in advance

CK

Just get an AURALiC Aries Mini and be happy :)

17 minutes ago, badlyread said:

Just get an AURALiC Aries Mini and be happy :)

For less, you can also be happy with a N-P01 (and have artwork visible on the display which I think is very nice in my audio setup). Only, like many equipment these days (like sat- receivers and settop boxes, audio sets), the switched mode power supply is not designed very well to keep the cost as low as possible. But these components are stressed the most, especially if it runs 24/7 (even in standby) .

I see the album artwork on my iPad just fine. How close are you going to have to be to see it?

The sound quality of the Aries Mini is better if that is important to you..... Maybe not. (I have listened to the Pioneer)

If the SMPS is a problem for you then get a LPS. This will improve the sound quality once again.

KR

Neil

• 8 months later...
On 17/04/2018 at 6:01 PM, LaurentDew said:

Hello all

Spotify connect doesnt work anymore on my N-P01

Does anyone face this issue ?

regards

It works for me just fine. W