IGNORED

The "official" Pioneer N-P01 network streamer thread

OK.. putting some thoughts together on the N-P01...

Pioneer is back with this little streamer. Don't snigger. "Pioneer" I here you ask? Your joking right? Well don't be an audio-fool.... This is a no nonsense, very well thought out and effective little network player...

First up this player is incredibly good value for money.. it comes in well under $500 USD...

It is extremely simple to use and set up and does exactly what it is advertised to do very well..

Think of this player as a really good value for money CD transport replacement. Because that is exactly how it operates. There is no volume control: just fixed line output via RCA and Toslink. It's uncomplicated. You plug it into your preamp and away you go..

It has an uncomplicated GUI as well and dedicated source buttons on the remote that can select the streaming source be it Bluetooth/Spotify/Internet Radio/ipod&usb/NAS UPnP server/ and there is a "favourites".. There is Airplay compliance as well: but I haven't tested this. I don't tend to use Airplay. It was Spotify that I was interested in with this player.

The whole player can also be setup easily by browsing onto the players IP address.. I love this feature in networkable players..it saves fumbling around on the players GUI entering data with an IR remote etc..

Same for the purpose written Pioneer Controlapp. Easy to set up and the player was found in the app straight away..

The really impressive thing about this streamer is the Spotify Connect integration. I just love how there is no input change required on the actual player itself... the player just appears in Spotify as a source and no matter what input it's been on before, once you select to stream to Spotify within the Spotify app: presto out comes your Spotify music on the Pioneer.. this is extremely useful and will allow me to use the NP-01 in my audio multiroom rack as a dedicated Spotify Connect end point..This feature ALONE justifies the price to me..

Onto DSD streaming..the other feature I purchased this player for.

I've tried DSD streaming on various other devices including an Oppo 105 as well. The NP-01 worked very well. Buffering is fine. So far I have not had one drop out or glitch. I'm using fixed wired ethernet as the manual confirms there is no DSD streaming via wifi. Not a big deal for me as I have structured wiring everywhere..

The NP-01 only handles 1XDSD which is perfectly fine for me. I have no intention of going higher. Of course the no. one thing everyone wants is gapless DSD streaming.. and AFAIK it is not gapless.. (right now).. because I'm led to believe this player along with all the other Pioneer DSD capable streamers will get gapless in a coming firmware release..

Next the sound. It's very good. Way good enough for me.. IS it better than a Lumin or an Aires?. No idea. Don't care.. this streamer is under 500 folks!!!! The sound is pretty darn good for under $500!!!! I like the price.. if nothing comes of gapless DSD on this player and/or I can't get a proper UPnP renderer on OSX and Ios to work..then no problem... At under $500.. I will easily be able to move this player on ebay, and get most of my capital back without a financial disaster.. This I believe is an extremely important issue in our hobby!!!

Ok. Another little thing I'd like in an upcoming firmware release is the ability to play DSD packaged DoP Wave files using Minimserver's fabulous software trick out via RCA on this player. It passes these files no problem out via Toslink to my Invicata DAC (which can handle them) but does not play them as DSD itself. Not a big thing: but it would save me a lot of hassle...

So my overall assessment so far: extremely positive.

a 9/10..

Have I mentioned how good the Spotify Connect integration is on the NP-01? Wait. I have. But let me mention it again hahaha. Guess what? It's AWESOME!

With the above mentioned fixes on firmware and a proper UPnP Pioneer Controlapp it would be a 10/10

Ok.. maybe a 9.95.. (with Pandora and a few other services like Tidal built in) it would be a 10 hehe

Wap..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Perhaps we could use this thread to give firmware upgrade suggestions?

Here are mine:

Tidal

Pandora

Internal playback support for DSD DoP wav files

Gapless DSD support

Dedicated Pioneer UPnP app for OSX and IOS (or suggestions for the best generic ones)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

AWESOME NEWS ON DSD gapless Playback with this little gem of a player...

..here is a work around right now (while we wait for the firmware upgrade)!!!

This player will pass DSD via DoP on Wav files, out via toslink if you browse onto Minimserver (and set dsf:dopwav transcoding within Minimserver..)

Not only does this give you better sound as you can bypass the N-P01's DAC > into your DSD DAC of choice (you need to check that it can handle DSD DoP on the toslink input first like my Invicta)>....but because the DSD is packaged in a wav file this gives you gapless DSD playback..!

I'm pumped. I'm excited.. LOL!

Now for under 500 bucks.. how good is that? !!!!

I also think this player is superb value for money,to be honest the SQ is as good running straight from my Rega amp as it is via my mdac so the DAC is very capable(same DAC as used in there older flagship AV units).

Was disappointed to find out it only goes up to 24/48 with a wireless connection ,hopefully this will be upgraded in future firmware upgrades,also Tidal and Qobuz would be welcome.The bluetooth APTX also sounds superb.I use this with my Sony A16 DAP,I was lucky and got this for a bargain along with the SXP01 DAB receiver which is also a very decent class D amp with a decent headphone output.My first ever bit of HiFi kit was Pioneer over 30 years ago which I still have,good to have some more of there gear!!

I have my n-p01 connected to a WDMcloud,when I try to go into the sub menu all tracks the screen freezes and I have to switch off the power and restart all other sub menus work correctlly,would you say this is a fault with the server or the player,my phone is also DLNA compatible and it brings up the sub menu songs and plays fine,when connected to JRIVER media I havent got the option of all tracks ,songs or files.Can anyone help?

Spotify Connect has just been embedded into their OSX app! How good is THAT with this streamer!!!!

Am I the only one excited by this awesome little Pioneer?

Are you all crazy? Don;t be a bunch of Audio snobs.. Take a look! :)

Am I the only one excited by this awesome little Pioneer?

Are you all crazy? Don;t be a bunch of Audio snobs.. Take a look! :)

I think it is mainly sold in Europe (not in US), and not many EU boys & girls here, right ?

Well it needs to get into the US.. !

On this one the rest of the world is WAY out in front :)

^ Think Ryder Cup. Even America's Cup. The Americans don't *always* win :)

• 1 month later...

3 months on: I am still extremely happy with it. It is standing the test of time. Which is unusual for a network streamer..

The other awesome thing I have done is connected it via toslink to my Invicta DAC which is now DSD DoP compatible on this input.

What this means is I can play DSD files contained (packaged) in a WAV file (using the fantastic Minimserver) from my NAS: I don't have to play from an attached USB source. This also gives me a work around on the gapless issue because the player will stream the WAV format gaplessly.. :)

This trick is unreal: On the player it shows it is a WAV file: but you know it's DSD streaming to the DAC because the correct little blue lights show up (as the DSD signal is locked)

It's just a matter of finding a DSD DAC with DoP capabilities via Toslink (there is no coax output on the N-P01)

But the killer is still Spotify Connect. It's never failed me. It's rock solid. Shows up everytime.. again this sort of thing has been unusual on my network with network streamers...

How many times do I have to tell ya'll Spotify Connect is the "real deal"...?

All good

• 8 months later...

Hi.

I have the N-P01 now for two days and I like the sound. I can't hear much difference between the build-in DAC or with the external Cambridge dacMagic when I use flac files.

I'm not really impressed by the software features. Ok, everything works well and it can recognize my NAS media streamer with Twonky server but I bought it also as a replacement of our FM receiver. It uses vTuner.com as the Internet Radio provider which is hard coded in the firmware with their (vTuner) APIs. So for the long term usability of the internet radio feature you depend on the availability of vTuner. It's not the question IF but WHEN vTuner APIs get broken with the version used in the N-P01 firmware and most likely beyond the maintenance period of the N-P01. The request for "access code" option in the N-P01 is already broken and not functional any more and the N-P01 can even crash on it.

I would like a web interface so that you can add your own live streams with the possibility to upload a logo picture for that station. In such case you can also add AAC live streams.

I know that I can add radio station to Twonky, I already have defined a m3u list with favorite stations which works, but it doesn't accept AAC streams (at least not the version that is used in our NAS) and it I can not attach thumbnail pictures to the stream.

Edit:

Or the internet radio is no longer working because of a dispute between pioneer and vTuner like Sony. Sony has dropped the vTuner function so a lot of devices are totally useless.

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/vTuner-suspended

That's why I don't like those hardcoded provider systems without a proper fallback.

I'm really thinking of returning this N-P01 and look for some more "open" approach.

Strange, the URL is working but the link isn't. The text in the link is:

vTuner Internet radio service

September 17, 2015

We regret to inform you that as of October 5, the vTuner Internet radio streaming service will be permanently terminated on Sony devices.

Since the service was suspended in May by the service provider, Sony has been seeking a solution. Unfortunately, it was impossible to resolve this issue and as a result this service will terminate permanently.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.

Well, I don't complain about the build quality. It doesn't wobble and is quite heavy. I also like the rather big display and the possibility to control it quite easily on the device itself, something important if it must replace the family FM receiver.

I had a rather old NAS, the 2Big network from lacie type 1, and after some hacking I succeed in opening the Twonky configuration setup which normally is blocked. So now I can tweak the music tree as I like and that is also making the N-P01 a lot easier to operate for finding an artist/album combination from the remote or device UI.

Overall I think it's a nice device but I don't like that vTuner approach at all. It is nice as an additional feature beside a "manual" url stream entry but it shouldn't depend on it totally, see Sony.

Grad

A UPnP media server you could try with the Pioneer is the music dedicated MinimServer. Not only does it provide an excellent configurable audio file library structure with intelligent browsing, but it has some very decent functions for live network streams such as internet radio. MinimServer certainly has no issue with providing AAC encoded radio streams for UPnP/DLNA streamers and if required can also transcode the stream, via its optional MinimStreamer component. It even supports the latest adaptive HLS AAC radio streams and future support for adaptive bit-rate MPEG-DASH streams is promised.

MinimServer features

MinimStreamer

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 2 months later...

There is a few things of importance I like to add to this thread :

USB STORAGE FILE SYSTEM.

All pioneer Streamers N30 N50 N70 N-P01

accept only FAT32 as file system on USB connected storage, NOT NTFS !!

This "detail" also apply to many other brands,

the reason as they say is fat32 is a much broader used standard, all sorts of computers can handle it.

There exist however a free format tool, that will help you out here, it accept up to 8 TB drives, and can format them as FAT32,

I verified this to solve this issue.

If you only plan to use NAS you dont have any issues.

just kindly inform your friends to use FAT32 when they bring the latest cool music for the next party on their usb sticks.

a reformat into new FAT system, require you to copy all files to the drive again, so expect to spend a few hrs on this :-)

USB CONNECTOR LOCATION.

on the N-P01 , there is only one usb connector, it is located on the front, this means if you only want to use USB as your master transportable music storage (like me) you need to accept a wire hanging on the front. I am on the look out for a tiny little NAS with USB, so I can place it directly behind the M-P01 and still bring it with me to friends, so we can share hidef files.

COVER ART PICTURES:

the players can display a picture of your CD on the screen,

all you need is a picture inside the folder, with correct file type, size, name,

however this is impossible to find info about ?? so please help, reveal this secret if you know how it can be done ?

I am on the look out for a tiny little NAS with USB, so I can place it directly behind the M-P01 and still bring it with me to friends, so we can share hidef files.
A Raspberry Pi tiny computer can certainly be used as a 'tiny little NAS' in this way, as you can connect a USB storage drive to it and run a UPnP/DLNA media server on it for the Pioneer to stream the music files from, eg the excellent music dedicated MinimServer:

MinimServer features

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

A Raspberry Pi tiny computer can certainly be used as a 'tiny little NAS' in this way, as you can connect a USB storage drive to it and run a UPnP/DLNA media server on it for the Pioneer to stream the music files from, eg the excellent music dedicated MinimServer:

MinimServer features

Thanks alot, this is really simple, and cheap, and I get a sort of USB port at the back of my Pioneer,

just the way I like it :-)

The only problem as I see it: the Raspberry's are designed by geeks for geeks, not for hifi users with nu degree in IT and internet and funky opperating systems and their configurations, all I care about is to plug and play my files.

I am getting more and more aware of a few important things :

in the old days, we purchased a player, and got some physical media home from the music shop,

the player and media always matched, and always worked, audio out from two RCA, and then happyness.

Today it is a whole new ballgame, ny easy way to happyness, you need some sort of IT degree, to get all your stuff online

and stable connected, find all the right this and that to solve all sorts of unducumented problems drives me a bit nuts :-)

Latest : controll app, on my android app, can not find my player, (worked yesterday)

ipad connect fine using airplay,

no apps found so far works on ipad to access usb file,

good old IR remote works, I found my binoculars so I can read the tiny screen from sofa,

so this way I can play the wanted music instead of working hard with IT problems.

Ah, ok, I think. When you mentioned that you were looking for a "tiny little NAS with USB", I actually took that to be a tiny Networked-Attached Storage (ie, a specialised computer that serves stored computer files over a computer network) with (a) USB (storage drive), hence my suggestion for using the Raspberry Pi tiny computer. Also, since the Pioneer N-P01 can only access music files over the network from UPnP/DLNA media server, I recommended installing the MinimServer UPnP media server software on the Raspberry Pi.

As it seems this isn't what you wanted, what did you actually mean by a "tiny little NAS with USB"?

Incidentally, the Raspberry Pi Foundation is UK registered educational charity set up to educate adults & children particulary in computers, computer science & related subjects. So the Raspberry Pi is certainly not just "for geeks", though some geeks have been involved in its design :)

-- Jo Cox

hi again Cebolla, next week I get a raspberry, and will be back :-)

will you maybe be so kind and make a new thread with the topic :

"How to make a music server with Raspberry Pi and USB storage for Pioneer and others" for beginners :-)

and put all the good info you have in that thread ?

remember alot of us might be able to boot up such card, connect a screen, keyboard, mouse and our usb storage to it,

but the rest is black-talk, I dont have a clue about what you say : UPnP/DLNA ?

I newer tried to actually install a program on a Raspberry.

I got other questions :

can the Raspberry Ethernet connector, go via a short cable directly into my Pioneer ?

No switch, no router, no internet box, since my Pioneer is perfectly online via WIFI, that one thing that was plug and play.

Not really got the time, though definitely a good suggestion for a blog in the future. Perhaps if you are serious about using the Raspberry Pi as the media server for the Pioneer, you could write about your own experiences.

There's plenty of info out there about UPnP/DLNA streaming, initial installation & configuration of a Raspberry Pi, connecting a USB drive to a Raspberry Pi, installing MinimServer on a Raspberry Pi, etc - you know Google is your friend, but here's a few links to start off with:

Computer Audiophile - The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio (from this very site's Academy)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/terminal/README.md

Raspberry Pi web server - Connect your Raspberry Pi to a USB hard disk

Installing MinimServer on the Raspberry Pi

Seeing as you are familiar with some 'computer talk', eg FAT32, NTFS, file system, formatter tool, USB, WiFi, etc, I don't see you having any problems with this once you understand what's required.

No need for keyboard, mouse, screen, since once installed & configured, the Raspberry Pi can run headless (ie, without keyboard, mouse & screen) as a media server. You can install & configure the Pi headless too, using SSH on another computer on the network, but you need a wired ethernet connection with the Pi for this initially. So the only time you have to use a keyboard, mouse & screen with the Raspberry Pi is if you really cannot use a wired network connection with it when you first install & configure it.

The latest Raspberry Pi 3 has built-in wireless, so okay for your WiFi only devices setup. In theory you could directly connect the Pioneer to the Raspberry Pi by ethernet cable, but that would create a separate mini network not accessable from your WiFi network, so not recommended. So, for example, you would not be able to use the Pioneer ControlApp on an iOS or Android device to control the Pioneer with that setup.

If you really are going to get a Raspberry Pi 3, make sure you also get a decent case for it - can't have that card just lying about, all ugly & uprotected!

BTW, how come you are not using a switch, router, internet box, etc and only can only use WiFi to connect to your computer network? Is it some sort of community WiFi?

Also, you didn't acually answer the question in my last post: what did you actually mean by a "tiny little NAS with USB"?

-- Jo Cox