IGNORED

Controlling Mac mini music server with another Mac

Apologies if this has been answered previously, but my search didn't turn up anything definitive.

My question: Are there any up-to-date, Yosemite-compatible Mac apps that allow for remote control of iTunes on a headless mini using another Mac (like a MacBook Air) rather than an iPad or iPhone?

I know there used to be some apps, but none of them seem to have been updated recently. I also know I could use screen sharing, but that seems like overkill, and I am also concerned that the resources demanded by Screen Sharing could possibly cause the mini's fan to spin faster, creating a noise issue in my listening room.

I would be grateful for any tips or advice. Thanks!

... adapter, turn on Screen sharing on the headless. On the controlling computer, go to the lefthand sidebar in any Finder window and find select your headless mac's name (which should show automatically).

Now at top right of same Finder window click on the Screen Sharing button that appears and pow, up pops a window with your headless computer's desktop.

Sorry if some terminology is off. I'm not in front of a computer right now (using my phone to write)

... adapter, turn on Screen sharing on the headless. On the controlling computer, go to the lefthand sidebar in any Finder window and find select your headless mac's name (which should show automatically).

Now at top right of same Finder window click on the Screen Sharing button that appears and pow, up pops a window with your headless computer's desktop.

Sorry if some terminology is off. I'm not in front of a computer right now (using my phone to write)

Thanks very much for this. Yes, I am aware that Screen Sharing is an option, and I have ordered an HDMI "dummy" adapter so I can run the mini headless.

My concern is that Screen Sharing is fairly resource-intensive and I am wondering if the resource-intensive nature of it would cause the mini's fans to crank up, thereby making it too noisy for a stereo listening room/area. Also, more generally, Screen Sharing seems a bit like overkill if I just want a simple remote iTunes controller.

If Screen Sharing is the only option I am of course willing to try it - just wondering if there are any other, perhaps more limited and lightweight options for just controlling iTunes rather than the entire mini.

Thanks!

why do you need an hdmi adapter to do screen sharing? i can do it w/o one.

I've read that with the adapter, the mini will properly offload much of the video load to its GPU, whereas without one it won't. So apparently with the video adapter you get more resolution choices, and you get faster Screen Sharing performance and less load on the CPU.

I can't confirm that for sure, but I ordered a $15 dongle off Amazon, so for that price it's worth experimenting.

Would still welcome folks' input on my original question here as well, Thanks!

My understanding is that without a HDMI dongle the hardware accelerator isn't engaged so the CPU usage is much higher.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

For my Mac Mini, I was able to screen share from my Macbook Pro or iPad before I installed the HDMI dongle. However graphics performance (and perhaps other areas as well) were much better with the dongle. Plus it is quite inexpensive.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star