IGNORED

Emerald Physics CS2.3 a Gift for the Audio God

have you ever slipped on a jacket that you haven't worn in a while and reached in your pocket and there was some money. It didn't matter if it was a 100 bucks or a few bucks you felt like you just got a gift. Well that is what the CS2.3 is once u listen to these speakers you feel like the audio God has just slipped something in your pocket. I have been an owner of Emerald Physics speakers for years, and have not heard anything better in its price range, or double for that matter. I worked for Dolby Labs, and I have listened to a lot of speakers. What Emerald has done is magical. I know that they were suppose to be an improvement, but these speakers are not just an improvement they are in another league. I know that no speaker is perfect but, this speaker comes so close to perfection that the big box companies need to go back to the drawing board. I'm surprised they don't offer Clayton a ton of money just to go away.

I had just set up the speakers and called Emerald Physics to ask a few questions (try that with Wilson.) I had not listened to the CS2.3 because I just sold my Mark Levinson CD Transport, and didn't have a replacement Transport to listen to. But like a kid on Xmas I had to hear them so I plugged my kids Apple TV up, got my iPhone out and pushed play. I couldn't believe my ears. These speakers just transported me to Boston to see Chris Botti perform live. They made a mediocre source sound fantastic. The sound is so good that I am not in a hurry to get a new CD  transport. I just got word that Clayton is developing his own Computer Audio product, so that is my next purchase. If his speakers can make a $200 Apple TV sound wonderful I'm scared to see what High Rez  will sound like. The music just floats in front of you, u can not only imagine the sound stage but for the first time I can place the location of the instruments on that stage. And this speaker doesn't just go deep, it has slam the type of bass that u feel in your core, with out feeling boomy and muddy, mind you I was getting this excited listening to an Apple TV.  I know that there are tons of speakers out there, and I was going to tell you if your are looking for a speaker in this price range you should blah blah. Forget all that if you are in any price range you should buy the CS2.3.

If u are in Vegas give me a shout so u can have a demo.

My Gear

CS2.3

Modwright preamp

Halcro amp for low

First Watt for hi

Musical Fidelity DAC

Apple TV

It still uses the Behringer and they still call it the weak link. But I must tell you even with the Behringer the system still blows away any thing under 50k. The new computer audio system that they are putting together does away with the Behringer and it has room correction. That should be out this year. I know that not everyone can wrap there mind around another product like the Beheringer in there chain, but if it sounds good, it sounds good. That same guy will spend 2k and 20 man hours on cable lifts. I have been around this stuff for the better part of 30 years. My ears have been tested and there darn good, but all that does not matter it is how you feel when you press play, does the music move you. We do all the tweaks and power conditioners and placement, just so the music can move us. The CS2.3 move me in away that I have never been moved before.

Hey Chris you need to take a listen I will contact Clayton Shaw and see if you can get a demo. And If these things are not amazing to you I will buy you a steak dinner when you come out to Vegas for CES. But if they are please let every one know. Emerald Physics is the little guy and I would love to see the little guy get some help, cause he has a special product.

You are right, if it sounds great thats all that matters! Hopefully, I will have a chance to listen to a set.

It seems Digital Room Correction is becoming more popular. If not using speakers like the Emeralds I guess you have to have DRC software on a computer as a source? Or is there a separate in-box solution? I guess using a graphic equalizer would be very difficult. Is the DRC software a digital volume control for specific frequencies? And does it adjust on the fly? Eg: if 10 people walk to one side of the room would it adjust for the new room acoustics?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to DRC. Very interesting.

Regards,

James[br]

Michael, do you have any details on the computer audio player? I've been interested in a set of CS2's(and subsequently CS2.3's) since about March, but these days I just can't bring myself to pay around $5000 for anything let alone a set of speakers without at least being able to hear them once. That said, Mr. Shaw sure does make one hell of an intriguing product so I remain very interested in what he has to offer. Hopefully I'll be able to spring for a new set of his speakers around Christmas time.

The Computer audio system is based on of course a Mac system with special DAC processor. The cool thing is it can go from 2channel to 7channel for cinema. It will cut out layers of equipment. Unlike the products that are CD players with a hard drive this is true computer audio. I understand about spending 5k on on any thing. I am selling my CS2 that were moded by Clayton Shaw to off set my new purchase. I am so confident that the CS2 sound that good that I offer a money back guarantee.

Based on a mac system? I must have misunderstood because I was under the impression Apple wouldn't allow anyone to use their os in any fashion other than personal use. As for the rest of the description, it does sound interesting so I'm curious to see when it will become available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll second (and third or fourth) Michael's comments!

I own the original CS2/Cullen modified Behringer and can't even imagine how the 2.3 could be better. I wonder if Underwood is still offering trade-in specials. . .;-)

If anyone is in St. Louis I'd be happy to give them a demo!

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that Clay is addressing this issue by eliminating the Behringer. And the pre-amp. And is throwing room-correction in for free. Ok, well, not free.

Check out Spatial Computer dot com. This is Clay's new approach to audio -- and it's completely & unabashedly computer centric.

All processing (room correction, volume, &c) is all done on the Mac and then sent to the DAC and from there sent directly to the amps. Pretty slick. Love to hear a pro review of it, especially one from someone who's seen some pretty slick computer audio setups.

Oh, hi Chris! Didn't see you there. But now that you are, a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind man!