IGNORED

Mini PCI-e output for "external" SSD/HD ?

Hello all,

I think I've read lots of tips here, about how to get the better sound from your SSD/HDD/SD card or other internal/external storage device (FW and Thunderbolt : good, USB : garbage...), but did anyone tried to connect his SSD/HDD to the internal PCI-e or mini PCI-e output of the Mobo ?

I read that the reason why Mac Mini's did sound quite good with the Thunderbolt external disks was because it was powered from a mini PCI-e bus (?).

I have a mini PCI-e output I don't use on my HDplex PC mobo (I removed the wifi card who was there...). Do you think I could gain something with a mini PCI-e to USB or Sata adapter ? Something like this :

Carte Mini PCI Express USB 3.0 - Vente Carte Mini PCI Express USB 3.0 sur conrad.fr | 986875

(french link, sorry)

My current stting is an external usb 1 To SSD with a 3.0 short cable to my HDplex PC, but powered with a Teddy Pardo 5v PSU (usb to 3,5mm mini jack). It's already very good to my ears : about the same that internal Sata , but it was too hot to let it there...

So, can I expect something better with mini PCI-e + 5v power through external PSU, or is it just bullshit ?

Thanks for any advice.

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

The late 2014 Mac Mini is already using a PCIe SSD.

Thunderbolt is essentially an external 4× PCIe 2.0 connection.

I'm not sure that I see the point in using a USB3 > mini PCIe adapter, rather than just using USB3 ports on the device.

And unless you are wanting to add a new drive and don't have any spare SATA ports on the motherboard, what's the point of a SATA > mini PCIe adapter?

1) My Dac is already connected with USB, so it's (maybe) not a good idea to add something else on the same bus.

2) The PCI-e bus seems to be better than USB for audio (?), so if I use only it for Datas, and a LPSU for power, I could (maybe) hear a difference.

A mini PCI-e to Sata or USB cost about only $20. I'd better try a mini PCI-e to thunderbolt card, as I already have an external TB station, but I can't find it anywhere (at least in my country...).

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

I'm satisfied with what I currently have...I'm just wondering why many here can hear sometimes big differences between storage devices, externally powered or not. So I just wanted to make some tries for myself.

The only thing I'm really sure, is that an LPS can improve greatly sound quality with a PC (tried with 3 different on a Mac Mini, then with 2 different ones on my current PC). For the other computer stuff and specially storage, I just read, hear and try...

• 1 month later...

I am setting up a server using a Nexcom NDiS 126 which only has usb available to connect both my external hdd and my dac. I am looking at separating them and using the mini PCIE slot seems like a good option. In fact it seems like the only option.

Is it worth it? Are there other options I have not thought of which would be better?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got a mini PCI_E to usb 3.0 card on the way. My thinking is that it is the mini PCI-E port that will be controlling this so I will attach my storage to this while the dac is linked through a USB port. I have also been using the network ethernet connection to play files from my pc so that is a 2nd choice I have. I will need to sit down and have a good listening session to see if I can hear any difference.