IGNORED

Corning Optical USB cable experiences

Alex / Superdad

So the ultimate USB receipe might be Corning USB 3 with a bunch of ferrites connected to a Regen with a LPS ?

lmitche

How are you measuring or assessing the noise level of the various SMPS and LPS ?

Eurodriver,

I am not equipped to scientifically measure the noise level of the LPS/SMPS choices. Instead I listen to them in place. With a bad SMPS the 3d image collapses quite dramatically. It's kinda a black and white thing.

A Keces 100 powers my Corning cable and SMS-100. I chose the device after reading several PS shootouts. Someday, I'll get an Uptone audio LPS, but there are more compelling priorities for funds at the moment.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

There are reports from another forum(link above) that the 5V pin on the DAC side of the corning does not carry any voltage.

Matt

The 5 volt pin on the Corning Cable definitely carries voltage. I know this because the Gustard U12 uses this to itself power up and down. There is an AC relay in the Gustard triggered by the presence of voltage on the USB input.

Eurodriver,

I am not equipped to scientifically measure the noise level of the LPS/SMPS choices. Instead I listen to them in place. With a bad SMPS the 3d image collapses quite dramatically. It's kinda a black and white thing.

So no in between "grey" power supply's either they RF pollute or they don't. With our tests of the traffo LPS vs the OEM TP Link SMPS, it was the proverbial wet towel on the sound. It will be interesting to see how the Mean Well SMPS sounds next week

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

It will be interesting to see how the Mean Well SMPS sounds next week

Which one did you order? You mentioned a multi-voltage one. Mean Well makes some very low amperage triples, but those are bi-polar (+ & -) of one voltage plus another + DC, and have a DIN plug. Unless you meant multi-voltage in that they are world-wide mains compatible.

You also mentioned getting a couple of linears to compare. Did you mean table-top bricks or warts? Are they regulated linears or just trans & diode unregulated units. It will be fun to see if you come to similar conclusions that I did in testing a pile little supplies to include with the REGEN.

(I also realize it is possible that one of the linears you were referring to is our JS-2 that you have on order. :) But you won't have that unit your are back in NYC at the end of the month.)

The 5 volt pin on the Corning Cable definitely carries voltage. I know this because the Gustard U12 uses this to itself power up and down. There is an AC relay in the Gustard triggered by the presence of voltage on the USB input.

Yes, it passes a little through. Just enough current (a few mA) for USB devices to identify so that the computer will have the okay to send data. But not enough to power anything.

You also mentioned getting a couple of linears to compare. Did you mean table-top bricks or warts? Are they regulated linears or just trans & diode unregulated units.

The wall wart LPS's I ordered are both selectable voltage, would have to open them up to look inside. Here is the Mean Well I ordered.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005STJK9A/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item

What was the test procedure, ears or measuring equipment ?

What we need is a dithered silence file at a level like - 65 db and then when playing that file we can stick our ear next to the speaker and listen for noise changes :-)

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Hello Edward, where have you ordered your Corning USB 3 optical cable? does not seem available anywhere in Europe.... Can't even see a A/B type anywhere, even less if 5m long...

The wall wart LPS's I ordered are both selectable voltage, would have to open them up to look inside. Here is the Mean Well I ordered.

Schaltnetzteil Universal DC 3V 4,5V 5V 6V 7,5V 9V 12V: Amazon.de: Elektronik

What was the test procedure, ears or measuring equipment ?

What we need is a dithered silence file at a level like - 65 db and then when playing that file we can stick our ear next to the speaker and listen for noise changes :-)

Really sorry to rain on your parade power adapter testing Edward, but that supply you bought on the German Amazon site is not a Mean Well--despite what the top of the listing seems to imply. Mean Well does not make anything like that, and even the MW logo on the label is not correct.

If you want a nice sounding, inexpensive 9V SMPS to compare, then order up this Amazon--Mean Well 9 Volt 2.77A/25W SMPS . It is the 9V version of the GS25A series that I ended up choosing for inclusion with our USB REGEN (I'm shipping the 7.5V version).

Have fun!

--Alex C.

P.S. I have the TP-Link Fiber Media Converters in my Amazon cart. Just waiting to combine with some other items.

Really sorry to rain on your parade power adapter testing Edward, but that supply you bought on the German Amazon site is not a Mean Well--despite what the top of the listing seems to imply. Mean Well does not make anything like that, and even the MW logo on the label is not correct.

If you want a nice sounding, inexpensive 9V SMPS to compare, then order up this Amazon--Mean Well 9 Volt 2.77A/25W SMPS . It is the 9V version of the GS25A series that I ended up choosing for inclusion with our USB REGEN (I'm shipping the 7.5V version).

Have fun!

--Alex C.

P.S. I have the TP-Link Fiber Media Converters in my Amazon cart. Just waiting to combine with some other items.

Yikes duped by Amazon Germany !

With the part number for the real Mean Well, German ebay comes up with this page that look suspiciously like fakes.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/251576136622?clk_rvr_id=792754890292&crlp=1_260601&mt_id=637&sdc_id=1425771317z321791z3b073b0a22031z&mid=434524&fitem=251576136622&linkin_id=8087677&crdt=0&sortbid=2

Mouser in Europe has the real item looking at the pictures. It reminds me of 50 years ago when you could buy little transistor radios with SOMY logos on them

You should add a nice Corning USB 3 optical cable to your shopping cart ;-)

Then you can give us your impressions of Corning USB 3 feeding the Regen prototype

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Yikes duped by Amazon Germany !

With the part number for the real Mean Well, German ebay comes up with this page that look suspiciously like fakes.

Meanwell Stecker-Schaltnetzteil: GS18E09-P1J ; 9V/2A | eBay

Actually, the link you just now posted is to a page of what look to be REAL, single-output Mean Wells--assuming what they ship matches the pictures and part numbers. Take a look at the spec PDF for the GS18E series you linked to: http://www.meanwell.com/search/gs18e/GS18E-spec.pdf

But if you want a wall-mount unit, then I'd suggest the identical sized, same priced 25W version instead of the 18W. Try this: GS25E

Mean Well is quite consistent between their series in a given wattage range, meaning that the same guts comes in different form factors: from metal enclosure with screws, to "table bricks" with different AC jack options, to wall warts with either fixed or interchangeable plugs. And for some wattages the physical case is the same size, so I go for the higher-rated one.

For the REGEN I chose the table-brick unit (GS25A series) as I really dislike wall-warts. Wall mounts take up too much space at the wall or on a power strip, they limit distance to whatever the hard-wired DC cable is, and whatever they might actually radiate I'd sooner not have right next to the AC lines of other devices. Plus, there is no way for me to know the right mix of country plug variations to stock, and the universal wall versions with snap-on worldwide plugs are not well stocked by Mean Well wholesalers.

believe it or not, I can NOT locate a single "adaptateur USB 2.0 A Male/ B Male" in France nor a single "USB 2.0 A Male/ B Male adapter" in Europe...

PM me with your address. I'll mail one to you. I have a few around and I just ordered another 100 pcs. to include with the REGEN.

You are wanting this, correct?:

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.24.04 PM.png

Thank you, and amazing : yesterday evening I got very frustrated when clicking that very image from Google France led to a message from that very same Conrad.fr saying that there was no such thing...

Merci Yucca

Thank you, and amazing : yesterday evening I got very frustrated when clicking that very image from Google France led to a message from that very same Conrad.fr saying that there was no such thing...

Merci Yucca

Buy several of these. I have one where I pulled the 5 volt leg. This results in a nice increase in sound quality if you don't need 5 volt power on the DAC side.

once I taped the 5V and the TEAC would not work for it requires a handshake. btw that's what held from ordering a Corning USB 3 optical cable yet but since it seems to work with the Gustard that requires it too, I guess I'll proceed tomorrow morning when business starts, unless a compelling reason not to rises...

Buy several of these. I have one where I pulled the 5 volt leg. This results in a nice increase in sound quality if you don't need 5 volt power on the DAC side.
Ordered a Kable (picturetools) + adapter + 2 Wurth ferrites (conrad) ; will report...

PS : should I straight clip the ferrites or make loops like in here : Ferrite Beads Installation ?

Just spoke to Picturetools, the Corning cables are expected to arrive "mid March"

Looping the cable through the ferrite increases the attenuation with each loop, I forgot about this option Doh, bought way too many ferrites !

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]