IGNORED

Corning Optical USB cable experiences

look at #342

Yes it is the cable. Amazon has many reviews about the Corning USB 3.0 cable failing as does other sites.

Mine is dead completely now, and I've only used it for measurements a few times since July. I tried two computers, two external devices (HD and USB soundcard both having external power supplies). When the cable is recognized, device manager shows "Unkown Device" device and reports a device error (tried windows 7 and 10 PC's).

This cable has very poor reliability, and Corning's website and support suck. No phone numbers or email addresses anywhere.

You have to return it to where you bought it from for any warranty service, so hopefully B&H honors the 1 year warranty (bought it in late July 2016). Most online vendors are not going to take a return after 5 - 12 months, so be careful where you buy it from. If B&H doesn't take it back, I'm going to do a charge back if possible.

I literally used this cable 10 times, and finally got my room setup to use it permanently feeding and now the cable doesn't work :(

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2015 at 1:14 AM, Superdad said:

Remember gents:

Not only does the Corning USB NOT provide galvanic isolation (the 5VBUS is still sent), but there is either a USB hub chip, clock, and voltage regulator in each end, or a PHY, clock, and voltage reg. In fact I think you will find the cable shows up in the system as a logical HUB. The chip itself is likely a Corning design to integrate the PHY function with the optical transceiver.

So as with using any generic USB hub, you will hear a sonic difference. The question is whether it is a positive one or not. Of course there is such a thing as an optimized for audio USB hub coming, but I will restrain myself from shamelessly plugging such. ;)

The Corning Thunderbolt cable is a little more interesting to me, but for storage use, not DAC connection.

Edward, did you get your fiber-channel device yet? Can you post a link on the exact product? Was it an Adnaco piece?

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Thank you

On 1/19/2017 at 6:33 PM, etc6849 said:

Yes it is the cable. Amazon has many reviews about the Corning USB 3.0 cable failing as does other sites.

Mine is dead completely now, and I've only used it for measurements a few times since July. I tried two computers, two external devices (HD and USB soundcard both having external power supplies). When the cable is recognized, device manager shows "Unkown Device" device and reports a device error (tried windows 7 and 10 PC's).

This cable has very poor reliability, and Corning's website and support suck. No phone numbers or email addresses anywhere.

You have to return it to where you bought it from for any warranty service, so hopefully B&H honors the 1 year warranty (bought it in late July 2016). Most online vendors are not going to take a return after 5 - 12 months, so be careful where you buy it from. If B&H doesn't take it back, I'm going to do a charge back if possible.

I literally used this cable 10 times, and finally got my room setup to use it permanently feeding and now the cable doesn't work :(

I am waiting on a second Corning 10 meter Thunderbolt cable. First was erratic and failed totally after maybe eight hours. 

Plus was a big step back in sound quality. Hope the new one works reliabably. Then at least matches the sonic quality of a copper TB cable. 

I am glad my dac has a Thunderbolt connection light. It was easy to see if it was working. 

I have three TB copper cables. None has ever had a connection issue. Been using the TB port since 2011 either with TB or FW with an Apple connector. 

Corning seems to have failed big time on these optical cables.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.