IGNORED

Corning Optical USB cable experiences

Here is a post on Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, February 4, 2015

By Allen Augustine - See all my reviews

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Corning USB 3.Optical Cable 10m (33ft) for Self-Powered Peripherals A to A Receptacle AOC-ACS2CVA010M20 (Personal Computers)

exactly as described. Works perfectly. Converts the USB RF signal into optical, providing 'galvanic' isolation. Not perfectly, though, as it still uses small copper wires to carry power. That said, in my stereo system, used for the purpose of isolating an 'audiophile' level DAC from my computer, it made a dramatic improvement in overall fidelity.

It might be interesting to add a ferrite to clean up the 5 volt and ground connection

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Remember gents:

Not only does the Corning USB NOT provide galvanic isolation (the 5VBUS is still sent), but there is either a USB hub chip, clock, and voltage regulator in each end, or a PHY, clock, and voltage reg. In fact I think you will find the cable shows up in the system as a logical HUB. The chip itself is likely a Corning design to integrate the PHY function with the optical transceiver.

So as with using any generic USB hub, you will hear a sonic difference. The question is whether it is a positive one or not. Of course there is such a thing as an optimized for audio USB hub coming, but I will restrain myself from shamelessly plugging such. ;)

The Corning Thunderbolt cable is a little more interesting to me, but for storage use, not DAC connection.

Edward, did you get your fiber-channel device yet? Can you post a link on the exact product? Was it an Adnaco piece?

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Here is the link to the TP Link Fibre Media Converters I ordered

http://www.amazon.com/MC210CS-Converter-1000Mbps-single-mode-mountable/dp/B003CFATKQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423951145&sr=8-3&keywords=tp-link+media+converter

Single mode fibre good for 15 km distance and 1 Gigabit connection

week after next, I hope to be able to try it out with the SOTM SMS-100 and with the DH61DL mobo

hopefully we will then have a handle if the computer generated noise is making it way through the front door via Ethernet cabling, or via the back door via the power supply of the DAC and / or power supply of the NAA

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Remember gents:

So as with using any generic USB hub, you will hear a sonic difference. The question is whether it is a positive one or not. Of course there is such a thing as an optimized for audio USB hub coming, but I will restrain myself from shamelessly plugging such. ;)

The Corning Thunderbolt cable is a little more interesting to me, but for storage use, not DAC connection.

--Alex C.

Yada, yada, yada…dont mention that name until ready to ship! Lots of us are waiting out of patience. That watched pot aint boiling.

Hehehe. :-)

Seriously though the 5v power line is VERY weak. Said it needed external power.

In a way it's a shame that Thunderbolt doesn't have a play outside pro audio since the Corning Thunderbolt cable does offer full galvanic isolation. The two strength members in the cable aren't electrically attached in the plug ends, and all signaling is optical.

Cheers,

Dayne

System

Digital Music Chain: Logitech Media Server running on QNAP TS-251 - FLAC files - Squeezebox Touch - Bolder coax spdif - Cambridge DacMagic 100 - DIY interconnect

Analog Chain: Aspen Amplifiers GK-1R preamp from kit - DIY interconnect - Aspen AKSA 100N from kit - 12 gauge low O2 copper stranded - Acoustic Reality AVinci Studio standmounts from kit - DIY 10" subwoofer

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered the 3 meter version of this cable from Amazon, and 3 different ferrites from Digikey, 2 from US suppliers and one from Wurth at triple the price. The impedance at 100 MHz is only a couple of hundred ohms

Then there is the question of the noise signature of the optical to electrical converter in the female end of the Corning cable

Any one else tried Corning USB 3 cable out yet ?

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

In a way it's a shame that Thunderbolt doesn't have a play outside pro audio since the Corning Thunderbolt cable does offer full galvanic isolation. The two strength members in the cable aren't electrically attached in the plug ends, and all signaling is optical.

Indeed,

the Corning Thunderbolt cable looks very nice and would be a perfect match for a Thunderbolt DAC, but where are they?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I have ordered the 3 meter version of this cable from Amazon, and 3 different ferrites from Digikey, 2 from US suppliers and one from Wurth at triple the price. The impedance at 100 MHz is only a couple of hundred ohms

Then there is the question of the noise signature of the optical to electrical converter in the female end of the Corning cable

Any one else tried Corning USB 3 cable out yet ?

Some interesting findings from another forum:

Corning USB3. Optical Cable

Matt

Indeed,

the Corning Thunderbolt cable looks very nice and would be a perfect match for a Thunderbolt DAC, but where are they?

Matt

Intel, who created Thunderbolt, have already abandoned the port on their own hardware.

The original NUCs had Thunderbolt ports, and from the second generation onwards, that was replaced with a standard mini DisplayPort connection instead.

While you can get Thunderbolt cards for PC, Apple are really the only company using it--which is a very similar story to Firewire.

Don't be surprised when Thunderbolt DACs start to become "obsolete" because the interface isn't being used any more.

USB or any of the audio-specific interfaces (S/PDIF or AES/EBU) are going to be far more long-lasting.

Now if the DAC has multiple inputs such as Thunderbolt, USB, S/PDIF, and AES/EBU, so that it is still a useful device if/when Thunderbolt gets phased out, then it may be worth looking into.

I've been using the 10 meter Corning cable, $109 for six months, and highly recommend it.

Currently, my high level config looks like this:

Asus Router> EMOsystem EN70HD> QNAP HS-250 NAS running tweaked Windows 8.1 with Minimserver & Minimstreamer> TPLINK MC210CS x2> SOTM SMS100> AQvox cable> Corning USB 3 10 meter cable> Gustard U12> 1.5 Grover Huffman AES/EBU cable to Auralic Vega DACAES input

All ethernet connections are BlueJeans cable CAT6A, with shortest possible lengths between devices. The QNAP and SMS-100 are powered with separate LPSs and are isolated on the AC power side with isolation transformers, as are the TPLINK power supplies.

I believe that USB galvanic isolation has been achieved using the Aqvox male to female connector with a Keces external power supply delivering a clean 5 volts to light the Corning cable.

The Corning cable has been blind tested, against the standard Belkin Gold cable, and in 5 trials won 4 and tied once. There have been no tests against the many high end audio USB cables.

I can confirm that the Corning cable contains a USB hub, so the signal is re-clocked on the way out of the cable. I also learned that some USB receivers will not work with the Corning cable. This is true with my Auralic Vega. There is an easy fix. Just add another hub between the Endpoint device and the Corning cable. A j5 create - 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub - BlackModel: JUH340 from Best Buy works great. I am looking forward to trying Superdad's Regen product for this purpose. My Gustard U12 does not have this problem.

Anyway, there is a theory that using multiple re-clocking devices adds to sounds quality. It certainly has in my system. My guess is that there are at least 4 USB hubs in my USB signal chain. I read somewhere that someone is using multiple Mutec MC3s this way. I can't find the direct reference, so Google is your friend here.

Since owning the Corning cable, hundreds of tweaks have been done upstream from the Corning cable. Most of these have been Windows tweaks. Never has the Corning USB been an obstacle to improving sound quality.

My theory is that the Corning cable works so well because it regenerates the electrical signal in the connector directly behind whatever device is connected. There is essential no potential for corruption of the signal on it's path, and when it arrives it's integrity is very high.

Altogether, my digital front-end delivers a wide, tall and deep sound stage with the Corning cable. On tracks with great depth, like the Cowboy Monkeys "Hard to Explain" it is just completely immersive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

My theory is that the Corning cable works so well because it regenerates the electrical signal in the connector directly behind whatever device is connected. There is essential no potential for corruption of the signal on it's path, and when it arrives it's integrity is very high.

Altogether, my digital front-end delivers a wide, tall and deep sound stage with the Corning cable. On tracks with great depth, like the Cowboy Monkeys "Hard to Explain" it is just completely immersive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Just one: When did the Cowboy Junkies change their name?! ;)

Glad you like the effect of the hub chip in the Corning USB cable. That is essentially what John Swenson has done for our new USB REGEN device. It is a carefully chosen USB hub chip, plus ultra-low-noise regulators, plus a low jitter clock--with exact impedance matching at its output--meant to plug directly into the DAC without any cables.

didn't try again, yes b7.

Your Lampi shouldn't need a power handshake, mine doesn't.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Glad you like the effect of the hub chip in the Corning USB cable. That is essentially what John Swenson has done for our new USB REGEN device. It is a carefully chosen USB hub chip, plus ultra-low-noise regulators, plus a low jitter clock--with exact impedance matching at its output--meant to plug directly into the DAC without any cables.

LOL!!!

wlblog6.jpg

Superdad, a few points.

What is the impact of serially connected USB hubs on sound quality? My understanding is that every USB hub re-clocks the signal. Have you tried serially connecting multiple regens, two or three? I'd be curious to learn what you hear.

I've found benefits using multiple generic hubs in serial. Weird I know, but it does make a positive difference, to a point. I have even blind tested this. I have read posts suggesting the same with serial Mutec MC3 re-clockers. Someone talked about a cumulative effect following a square root based power law, whatever that means.

My expectation is that the regen will sound better than the generic hub built into the Corning cable. The reason is that it was purposely built for audio with many functions missing from a generic hub.

I conjecture that in a serial multi-hub chain, it is the last hub in the chain that you hear.

I look forward to trying the regen at the end of the Corning cable. Please add my name to your waiting list for the device.

I conjecture that in a serial multi-hub chain, it is the last hub in the chain that you hear.

I very much agree with that. And I have also listened to some very nasty sounding hubs.

I look forward to trying the regen at the end of the Corning cable. Please add my name to your waiting list for the device.

Please send me a PM with your private e-mail address so I can put you on the list to receive product and ordering information at the beginning of April.

Thanks,

ALEX

P.S. I love the Cowboy Monkey! (and the Cowboy Junkies)

Alex / Superdad

So the ultimate USB receipe might be Corning USB 3 with a bunch of ferrites connected to a Regen with a LPS ?

I have no idea Edward. I really try hard not to speculate about things I have not experimented with first-hand.

But why would you use ferrites on an optical cable? I don't think the photons are influenced magnetic iron or ceramic cores. ;)

I have no idea Edward. I really try hard not to speculate about things I have not experimented with first-hand.

But why would you use ferrites on an optical cable? I don't think the photons are influenced magnetic iron or ceramic cores. ;)

To attenuate any RF that might be going down the + 5 and ground wires. On a USB copper cable you cannot clamp on a bunch of ferrites as that would attenuate the data signal. With an optical cable the USB data signal would be unaffected by any ferrites clamped on

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

To attenuate any RF that might be going down the + 5 and ground wires. On a USB copper cable you cannot clamp on a bunch of ferrites as that would attenuate the data signal. With an optical cable the USB data signal would be unaffected by any ferrites clamped on

There are reports from another forum(link above) that the 5V pin on the DAC side of the corning does not carry any voltage.

Matt