IGNORED

Best way to feed my Metrum Octave II

PaulF

I have been using an Octave II for some time and find it a superbly natural DAC, especially when fed upsampled PCM. I currently use Audirvana+ to do that, upsampling to the highest even multiple that the DAC/software supports (44 to 176, 96 to 192, etc.).

I feed the DAC with USB routed thru an IFi Power their Gemini cable.

I don't have a lot of time to experiment and haven't fiddled with this setup in some time, so I'd like to seek some advice on possible ways to get even better SQ.

Would I get better results:

- Going to HQPlayer?

- Using a USB->SPDIF converter?

- Using other settings in A+?

Please explain if so. Thanks.

The Metrum Octave II uses the excellent Amanero USB board if I'm not mistaken, so I doubt you would gain anything by going USB->SPDIF converter route, even if you get the best one there is (and a medicore USB->SPDIF converter would most likely be a downgrade).

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

The Metrum Octave II uses the excellent Amanero USB board if I'm not mistaken, so I doubt you would gain anything by going USB->SPDIF converter route, even if you get the best one there is (and a medicore USB->SPDIF converter would most likely be a downgrade).

I had yesterday prepared a reply to the OP based on my Octave 1 experience with the excellent Audiophilleo USB-SPDIF converter. I decided not to post it because I had no experience or knowledge of the Metrum USB implementation. I'm very pleased to see your post Elberoth, since it suggests that there may not be much to be gained from a separate USB converter.

Taking your comments into account and my own experience of the Octave 1, it sounds like the Octave 2 is already a formidable USB DAC.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

I'm listening to Mingus' Ah Um now via recently-downloaded HQPlayer and, to use the cliche, I'm hearing it for the first time. Holy cow, this is good. I am surprised and very impressed. I don't think my now-departed $20K vinyl front-end had anything on this.

As for USB converters, I've also seen it written that one must use an Offramp or at least Audiophilleo to get the most out of the Octave II. This is audio - if an opinion can exist, someone holds it.

One bad on my part: I forgot I was applying very mild EQ, a 1.5 broad dip at 2 Khz, via AudioUnits with A+. I need to compare A+ with no EQ to HQ. But I think results will be the same as I noticed no ill effects when I started applying that EQ.

I have yet another update.

Playing with the upsampling settings of A+, I have gotten it to sound better (to me).

It is now matter of trade-offs: A+ is typically brasher, more dynamic, than HQ, which can also bring along a touch of harshness (not that I would have ever called it 'harsh' before).

In contrast, HQ is typically a touch smoother but with lesser dynamics, at least in the bass.

Interesting stuff.

I should mention that I have A+ upsampling set to "multiples of two only" and am using the settings recommended for the Octave II in another thread here.

In HQ, I'm using poly-sinc and 192 Khz.

I should also mention that so far I'm comparing nothing but redbook. Both A+ and HQ are upsampling to 192.

I should mention that I have A+ upsampling set to "multiples of two only" and am using the settings recommended for the Octave II in another thread here.

In HQ, I'm using poly-sinc and 192 Khz.

I should also mention that so far I'm comparing nothing but redbook. Both A+ and HQ are upsampling to 192.

For a SQ upgrade you could run HQ Player on WS2012 with Audiophile Optimiser in Minimal Server mode or if you want to stay with MAC OS, get a NAA running, either MAC based, or Linux based SOTM SMS-100 assuming your MO2 USB is Linux friendly

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

For a SQ upgrade you could run HQ Player on WS2012 with Audiophile Optimiser in Minimal Server mode or if you want to stay with MAC OS, get a NAA running, either MAC based, or Linux based SOTM SMS-100 assuming your MO2 USB is Linux friendly

Not to sidetrack the topic. But the HQ Player site does not list WS2012 as an option, although I know some W8 apps are compatible with Server. Also, the site says do not use with any optimization software as HQ Player may malfunction or crash.

This is my setup and is what prevents me from trying HQ Player. Has anyone tried this combo and can you report the results? I do agree that it might well prove an upgrade over plain jane Windows 8.

Not to sidetrack the topic. But the HQ Player site does not list WS2012 as an option, although I know some W8 apps are compatible with Server. Also, the site says do not use with any optimization software as HQ Player may malfunction or crash.

This is my setup and is what prevents me from trying HQ Player. Has anyone tried this combo and can you report the results? I do agree that it might well prove an upgrade over plain jane Windows 8.

Bob Sherman was the first person I know who ran HQ Player under WS2012 + AO in Minimal Server Mode and also in Core Mode. Following Bob's post I bought a SSD, and installed WS2012 and AO.

I had to write a batch file so that HQ Player would start and I got HQ player running in GUI mode quite easily

I then installed Total Commander which lets me drag and drop folders onto the HQ Player window and starts playing.

In Minimal Server mode, by Exasound DAC USB connection is no longer plug and play, but that is easily rectified by starting the Exasounds .exe file which loads the ASIO driver, and HQ Player works like a dream. The SQ uplift doing Redbook to DSD 256 is incredible. DSD64 to DSD 256 improves as well

I have not tried core mode yet, my next experiment is to get HQ NAA working under WS2012

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Hi,

I own an Octave Mk II and use it with an Audiophilleo and found that it improved the sound of the DAC dramatically. Everything simply sounds better than it did without it, so much so that I am keeping a dual DAC set up now; One with the Metrum for PCM and one with a iFi iDSD Micro for DSD. They both sound very different but offer benefits in different ways. I had planned to sell the Metrum set-up after being amazed by the 'giant killer' iFi but there is something about that NOS DAC sound...

I do believe my Metrum Octave II uses the older USB interface before the recent switch to the Amanero though so the difference with the Audiophilleo may be smaller now.

In regards to HQplayer it seems you have already found out for yourself, it is really fantastic software with incredible customization options. I was a long time user of Audirvana, (before there was a plus!) and I have not looked back since purchasing HQplayer for my Mac.