IGNORED

Crackling Noise

My setup works great for a few albums, then (always at the beginning of a new album) a crackling noise appears during playback.

System: MacPro, Lynx AES16e, and Alpha DAC. After having a system crash a few weeks ago, I upgraded to IOS 10.10.1, iTunes12.0.1.26, and Amarra 3.0.3. Also upgraded to latest Lynx firmware.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bluesteel[br]MacPro w/OCZ Colossus LT & Lynx, Amarra SW, Alpha DAC, Pass Labs XA100.5, ML - CLX & BF 212

Try increasing the buffer for Lynx to see if that helps.

Thanks, I tried changing buffer size under ; Lynx Mixer, Advanced, 44.1 & 48 KHz Performance buffer 88.2 & 96 etc. etc. They are set to 32 (44.1&48), 64 (88.2&96), and 128 samples (176.4 & 192). System will not save changes and reverts to same settings.

bluesteel[br]MacPro w/OCZ Colossus LT & Lynx, Amarra SW, Alpha DAC, Pass Labs XA100.5, ML - CLX & BF 212

in my experience nearly every time I have had any crackling in my playback its because I have a dirty connector somewhere...Clean your connections and see if it goes away.

No it is not the connectors. If I was using a turntable I would suspect a dirty needle... Anyway, the problem occurs after the system has been playing for a while. Not sure why it continues to play albums after finishing the one I selected, but that is probably another unrelated setting that changed with the upgrades. When crackling noise - I restart Amarra and iTunes and the problem disappears...

I had a similar problem which I solved by shutting off the internet to my Mac Mini. The crackling noise apparently occurred whenever the computer was getting an external signal coming in through the wifi connection. So it was intermittent.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I had a similar problem which I solved by shutting off the internet to my Mac Mini. The crackling noise apparently occurred whenever the computer was getting an external signal coming in through the wifi connection. So it was intermittent.

Larry

Thanks Larry! I think that was the issue without being sure of exactly what caused the actual distortion (in detail). I turned off a bunch of things (including some Spotlight features) and have not been able to replicate the problem after (This is good). If anyone has a closer hunch, please let me know too. The problem seems alleviated but I do not want it to return.

Back in hi res heaven...

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I had this solved but problem still persists. It is most noticeable when I play higher res. files and jump to a red-book file. Playback is distorted / crackling sound. It might be a buffer problem but as stated earlier I was not able increase in Lynx settings. This may be due to my limited computer savvy skills. Anybody else have suggestions?