IGNORED

Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Anyone?

Mine arrives any day. It handles 24/192 (a first for me) but I have to wonder if even Schiit can pull off a $150 DAC that can translate enough of that resolution to make it worth the downloads. Anybody have one of these little guys?

Gary

[h=1]SCHIIT ANNOUNCES NEXT-GEN MAGNI AND MODI[/h][h=2]12/12/2014[/h]Enhanced Performance and Flexibility; New Uber Models

December 12, Valencia, CA. Two years after the announcement of the original Magni headphone amplifier and Modi USB DAC, Schiit Audio introduces the next generation: Magni 2 and Modi 2, together with their even more feature-packed Uber models. This introduction means additional flexibility and performance for Magni 2 and Modi 2 at the same price level ($99) as the original Magni and Modi, while Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber reset the value equation for entry-level products at $149 each.

"We've added gain switching to Magni 2, and 24/192 capability to Modi 2, and kept them at the same price as the originals," said Jason Stoddard, Schiit's Co-Founder. "But we went all-out on the Uber models, adding preamp outputs and higher power to Magni 2 Uber, and making the Modi 2 Uber essentially a mini-Bifrost, with optical, coaxial, and USB inputs. Now, the flexibility and performance you can expect at the entry point to high-end personal audio is much higher than ever before."

In total, four products were announced:

Magni 2. All-new discrete headphone amp with 1.2W RMS per channel and switchable high/low gain, together with a refined constant-feedback gain stage. The update of what's arguably the most popular headphone amp, ever. $99.

Magni 2 Uber. All-new discrete headphone amp with 1.5W RMS per channel, switchable high/low gain, preamp outputs, and even more sophisticated constant-feedback gain stage. Also includes new 24VA wall transformer (3x larger than Magni) and aluminum top chassis and knob. $149.

Modi 2. All-new USB asynchronous DAC with switchable USB Class 1 and Class 2 modes. USB Class 1 remains driverless for all supported computers, USB Class 2 adds 24/192 capability, but requires drivers for Windows. The update of one of the most popular USB DACs ever. $99.

Modi 2 Uber. All-new USB, optical, and coaxial three-input DAC running full USB Class 2 for 24/192 capability through all inputs. Essentially a mini Bifrost. AC linear power supply with included 8VA wall transformer. Aluminum pushbutton and top chassis. $149.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

LOL, echos & crickets. It's a good bet this lack of response is in small part because it's too new, but in larger part because I didn't spend $5000. Oh well... you takes the bad with the good, & there's a lot more of the latter around here.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I have the Magni Uber and Modi 1 in my office system. It is hooked to Audioengine 5+ powered speakers or Grado GS1000 headphones. An excellent and inexpensive system. Schiit has an interesting upgrade path. I would like to get the new Modi but I haven't had the old one long enough. I'll suffer.

I'm intrigued by the Modi Optical in particular. In the spirit of getting no more than you need, you can hook it up to the optical out of a newer MacBook and get up to 192 kHz output (whereas earlier MacBooks were limited to 96 kHz from the Toslink). You don't pay for the extra inputs on the DAC, the box isn't larded up with a headphone amp, and you avoid all the USB issues, such as they are.

I also like the potential application with an Apple TV. I have one hooked up to my modest home theater. Putting a Modi in the stream would likely send a better analog signal to the amps in my receiver than the onboard DAC for stereo music listening in "direct" mode, even though I'm still limited by the mid-fi amps. I don't think you can get more than redbook playback with Airplay, which is how I use the Apple TV to steam my collection to the home theater room (I'm content with the downsample of my HD tracks when using the system this way). But I suspect this would be a worthy upgrade to the redbook stream.

For much less than $100 (assuming that's the price on the not-yet-available optical-only version), I might just take two, one for the desktop and one for the home theater. Probably a lateral performance move from a Meridian Explorer, but I like the dedicated DAC and input function.

I also wonder where this leaves Bifrost. In addition to upgradability and outputs, I presume the DAC section remains superior, but I wonder when Schiit implies that Modi 2 Uber is basically a Bifrost. And you can presumably get the next generation Modi for the price of a Bifrost upgrade.

• ALAC=>Synology 212j=>MacBook OS X Yosemite=>BitPerfect=>iTunes=>Meridian Explorer
    • Desktop: Schiit Asgard 2=>Emotiva Airmotiv 4 or HiFiMan HE-500
    • Family room: wifi to portaged laptop/DAC or Apple TV 2=>Denon AVR-1712=>PSB Image B6 (bi-amped); Dayton HSU10, Image B4 surrounds

I tried the Optical on the Uber2 and I can't get it to play 24/192

Almarra 318B-Zu Audio Omen-Marantz SA15S1-Nottingham Analogue Interspace Jr.-BlueSound Node-Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Ifi SPDIF ipurifier-Clearday Shotgun speaker cables-Clarity HarvestII Interconnects-TWL powercords-ATS acoustic panels-Echo Buster corner traps

Did you install Shiit's drivers here (Windows)?
I'm using it with a Bluesound Node so as far as I know there is no need to insatll drivers

Almarra 318B-Zu Audio Omen-Marantz SA15S1-Nottingham Analogue Interspace Jr.-BlueSound Node-Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Ifi SPDIF ipurifier-Clearday Shotgun speaker cables-Clarity HarvestII Interconnects-TWL powercords-ATS acoustic panels-Echo Buster corner traps

• 6 months later...
On the Modi, you need to load their driver to get above 24/96

This is being used with a streamer, not a computer. It is working now

• 1 year later...

DSC01050.jpg

I just received my Magni 2 Uber and I am impressed: Very powerful & detailed sound from phones and loudspeakers! I don't yet own the Modi but instead (temporarily) am using my Fulla usb DAC. I will be ordering a Modi Multibit next month so, I'll add my thoughts on that then.