IGNORED

Sennheiser PX-100-II On-ear Stereo Headphone review

This is a long-existing headphone with a well-deserved reputation for sound quality -vs- size and cost, yet being open-back it is severely restricted in where it can be used. I had this in the closet for years due to the earpads being worn out, and taking it out a few days ago the earpads had actually turned to dust. So I ordered some new earpads and re-acquainted myself with the sound, which really surprised me. A big part of the surprise I figure is probably that the open-back design doesn't create resonance-based colorations the way most small closed portables do.

Sennheiser PX-100-II On-Ear Stereo Headphone review

I have the PX-200 (first edition)

Sennheiser PX 200-II - On-Ear Headphones Foldable Stereo - Travel Headphones

When I bought them 10 years ago, I didn't like them very much, my ears would hurt quickly because of the pressure, and I found the sound to be too muffled. So they spent most of the time unused in a drawer. Then a year ago, I needed a lightweight headphone to watch movies late at night, I tried them again. I had to replace the fake leather pads which had partly disintegrated (replacement parts were still easily available).

Strangely, this time I immediately found them rather comfortable even for hour long listening. I also found the sound - which focusses on the midrange - very pleasing now. It can be a bit offputting at first if you are used to more expressive/superficial headphones, but once the ears have adapted to the different frequency response, it's a very balanced sound. I started using them also for music listening in bed with my smartphone (I use in-ear phones outdoors)

Claude

I'm a long-time fan of the original PX-100 headphones. I use them to play lossless AIFF tracks from my iPod, and with Audirvana on my iMac. I bought a pair of PX-100 II headphones to have as a spare set, since the originals are discontinued. I found the II to be less comfortable on my head, due to the stiffer headband, but more importantly, the sound was different. To my ear, the II is much more bass and lower-mid heavy than the original PX-100, which sounds very balanced and neutral by comparison. I guess it depends on what you like, and what you are used to.

I won another used pair of PX-100 on ebay, so now I am content with my two pairs of original PX-100.

I'm a long-time fan of the original PX-100 headphones. I use them to play lossless AIFF tracks from my iPod, and with Audirvana on my iMac. I bought a pair of PX-100 II headphones to have as a spare set, since the originals are discontinued. I found the II to be less comfortable on my head, due to the stiffer headband, but more importantly, the sound was different. To my ear, the II is much more bass and lower-mid heavy than the original PX-100, which sounds very balanced and neutral by comparison. I guess it depends on what you like, and what you are used to.

I won another used pair of PX-100 on ebay, so now I am content with my two pairs of original PX-100.

Your impressions are right on - the original was more neutral - how about that!

I have the PX-200 (first edition)

Sennheiser PX 200-II - On-Ear Headphones Foldable Stereo - Travel Headphones

When I bought them 10 years ago, I didn't like them very much, my ears would hurt quickly because of the pressure, and I found the sound to be too muffled. So they spent most of the time unused in a drawer. Then a year ago, I needed a lightweight headphone to watch movies late at night, I tried them again. I had to replace the fake leather pads which had partly disintegrated (replacement parts were still easily available).

Strangely, this time I immediately found them rather comfortable even for hour long listening. I also found the sound - which focusses on the midrange - very pleasing now. It can be a bit offputting at first if you are used to more expressive/superficial headphones, but once the ears have adapted to the different frequency response, it's a very balanced sound. I started using them also for music listening in bed with my smartphone (I use in-ear phones outdoors)

I got a PX-200-II once for $50 from B&H on sale. Nice headphone, but I didn't like the volume control or the long cord. It sounded good, but I used the 'Rock' EQ setting on iPods and iPhones to lower the midrange and boost the bass and treble.

Dale, that post you quoted is just nonsense, generated by a robot. It took a sentence from post #3 to make it look legit, but the real purpose is the invisible goo.gl link behind the text.

These posts show up every night on this forum. Very annoying. I regularly report them, and the accounts get deleted.

Claude

Dale, that post you quoted is just nonsense, generated by a robot. It took a sentence from post #3 to make it look legit, but the real purpose is the invisible goo.gl link behind the text. These posts show up every night on this forum. Very annoying. I regularly report them, and the accounts get deleted.

Thanks - I wondered about that. Good thing there's someone here with sharper eyes (me on iPad most of the time - no right-click)