IGNORED

Tablet recommendation

I just ripped my 800 cd collection and want to setup my computer audio system. I plan on reusing my current setup (NAD cd player -> NAD C 320 amplifier -> speakers) as much as possible.

My music is now stored on an external HD (in apple losseless if that matters, but I can convert it to something else if needed) and I can plug this in my home router to make it accessible through wifi. The router is an ASUS RT-N65U which has a "Media Server" integrated with options for DLNA media server, or ITunes Server.

My plan is to control what is being played through a tablet, the HD with the music being either accessed through wifi (preferred) or through a cable. Initially I plan on using the tablet DAC and plugging the audio-out to my amplifier, but I want to have the option to upgrade to an external DAC in the future.

My first question: do I need to have a cable running from the tablet to the Amp, are can this be done wirelessly without to much quality lose?

Second question: what tablet to buy? It's main use would be as a media center + it should be white (my wife has veto power on the external design of the tablet...). To recap the constraints:

- good integrated DAC

- digital output to allow for external DAC in the future

- white

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Since you're using iTunes and your format is Apple Lossless, an iPad makes the most sense. You don't need to directly cable it to your system but add an Airport Express instead. The DAC in the newest version is very good. I have seven audio zones in my home all controlled by either iPad or iPhone and it works great. We also stream HiDef movies from our iTunes library.

The limiting factor of the Apple system streaming is that it can't do HiRes audio natively but converts it to 16/48. I don't have or see a need for HiRes but YMMV.