IGNORED

DSD Download enigma (only DSD album in my collection that doesn't play)

Hi All

I am new and this is my first post. Been an audiophilia nervosa sufferer for a while. I recently aquired a Pioneer N50a directly from Japan and all is well (albeit with a transformer here in NYC). Previously, I had used slim devices, so I am fairly familiar with streaming. I do not understand the heavy computer dialects but I have a retired engineer neighbor who does and bails me out once in a while. Anyway, here is the issue:

I am streaming from the Pioneer through three libraries: my Lenovo computer with Win8 using JRiver 20, a WD My CLoud single drive connected to ethernet for backup and the main library or ripped content goes to a WD MYcloud Mirror drive with 6T. Everything works, at least %95 of the time. No issues. All files are streaming including DSD, from day one, even without exploring JRIVER settings. BUT! I recently bought and downloaded an album of Manfred Honneck with the Pittsburgh Symphony, playing Strauss TOne Poems and I am not able to play them no matter what. I have downloaded other DSD albums from HDtracks, Acoustic sounds, etc. I can stream them all: Shelby Lynn, Boston, Eiji Oue, etc.

The Pioneer gives a "unspecifed error" message. It doesn't even tell me that it can't play the file.

I tried converting them in JRiver, but nothing works. I read the wiki. I was able to play at least one of them in the computer using Jriver but I can't replicate it now.

I contacted the seller. They allowed me to redownload, in case that there was corruption. Not working either.

My neighbor was able to convert them to 24/192 for me using audiorvana. I can play them, glad I can hear the performance and a great one it is.

At this point I have gone in big circles changing the settings for the output format, encoder, blah blah. I am not sure if I did more harm than good...But this was an expensive album and I am wondering if there is a particular thread about this album...Has anyone experienced this? I am also ripping to DSD 64 using JRIver and the Pioneer plays them fine.

Many thanks and happy holidays to all

Pedro Diaz

Can your neighbour play it as DSD in Audirvana?

In Audirvana stand-alone mode, are all tags like Artist, Album, etc. filled in? if not, it could be missing metadata that the hardware hasn't been made to treat or something similar.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Dear bmoura. Thanks but it seems like we are talking about a different album. The link takes me to a Dvorak and Janacek recording by the Pittsburgh Symphony, not the Strauss tone poems.

OK. Then we are talking about two different albums. I'd contact the web site that sold this download re: the problems you are experiencing.

pedroboe, is this the recording you're talking about?

Reference Recordings - FR-707 Detail

Presuming it is, you can go to nativedsd.com and buy just a dsf DSD track to try out. We produced it from the original DSD edited master, and just added metadata tagging

Like Brian said, these Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra recordings were recorded in DSD by Sound/Mirror for the PSO, and are distributed and sold by Reference Recordings as part of their Fresh series.

Presuming it is, you can go to nativedsd.com and buy just a dsf DSD track to try out. We produced it from the original DSD edited master, and just added metadata tagging

Like Brian said, these Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra recordings were recorded in DSD by Sound/Mirror for the PSO, and are distributed and sold by Reference Recordings as part of their Fresh series.

Agreed. I suggested a one-track test on Jazz at the Pawnshop awhile back for someone who was debating which resolution level and format to get JATP in. Picking a track and then ordering it in DSD-64, DSD-128 and DXD could tell the story.

I think the same is true here. Buy a track from Native DSD and see if it is causing the same issue as the album download originally purchased.

pedroboe,

May be trouble that problematic DSD files are multichannel? Or sampling rate?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Yes tailspn, that is the album. Unfortunately I am not anything close to an engineer but I guess I can learn about editing metadata. I'm in the process of ripping hundreds of CDs and I am encountering other issues (movements of a symphony or a requiem in the wrong playback order) but my neighbor friend tried to explain to me what the problem was. He was able to play the Don Juan track at double speed and one octave higher. I believe that he could not make the other files play. But he was able to convert them to 24/192 so I could listen to them. I tried myself with Jriver but it would not work. Also with jriver I was able to play the Don Juan dsf at some point on my Windows 8 desktop, but it was hit and miss, partly Because I have gone adrift trying to get the playback settings to work. May I remind you however, that I have bought and downloaded many other dsf albums and I am also ripping some of my ? collection into dsd, using Jriver and all of these play without a hitch on my new Pioneer N50 a

Thanks again for your help

I will be happy to buy it again from nativedsd. Maybe I can write to them and they can let me demo it. Unfortunately, my pioneer N50 a. Has not made it to the USA Shores yet, so I guess I won't hear from other owners. Unless someone from the UK/Germany etc is reading this...

Unfortunately for that particular album, I cannot buy/download single tracks, but I am tempted to play roulette and buy it. The 1st one I bought was from Acoustic Sounds. How would this one be different?

Hmm, I wonder if that is unique to the Reference Recordings downloads. The ones I've picked up from Native DSD always show pricing by track, for the album in Stereo DSD and when available for the album in Multichannel DSD and for the album in Binaural DSD.

It depends on how the DSD Download files were prepared as to any differences between the two downloads stores. Would also reveal if there is problem with the ones you purchased if the one on Native DSD works correctly.

Unfortunately for that particular album, I cannot buy/download single tracks, but I am tempted to play roulette and buy it. The 1st one I bought was from Acoustic Sounds.

Your other choice is to contact Acoustic Sounds and see if they can check the DSD Download files to see if there is an issue.

> I am also ripping to DSD 64 using JRIver and the Pioneer plays them fine.

Pedro,

I suppose you hardware audio player support DSD64 format only (need check the player's manual).

You need resample your purchased records to D64. Or reload in this format from store (if it available).

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Thanks audinventory. Are you referring to the sound card or something related in my pc? I actually am running two libraries, one from the pc with jriver and a nas mirror drive connected via ethernet, using twonky as the server . I believe I have dsd files of different kinds (I ripped some of my CDs to 128 just because I was curious and they Do play with no problem) . I would love to see you or someone else download this album and tell me that you are actually able to play it. That would be really helpful. I just wanted to know that someone out there is able to stream this files. And it they are also having problems, then they can figure out the issue and tell me how to fix it!

At this point it's like I'm seeing a ghost and no one else wants to go through that door. Are you using the 70a?

Thanks audinventory. Are you referring to the sound card or something related in my pc? I actually am running two libraries, one from the pc with jriver and a nas mirror drive connected via ethernet, using twonky as the server . I believe I have dsd files of different kinds (I ripped some of my CDs to 128 just because I was curious and they Do play with no problem) . I would love to see you or someone else download this album and tell me that you are actually able to play it. That would be really helpful. I just wanted to know that someone out there is able to stream this files. And it they are also having problems, then they can figure out the issue and tell me how to fix it!

At this point it's like I'm seeing a ghost and no one else wants to go through that door. Are you using the 70a?

Pedro,

So trouble is not in sample rate.

1. What about number of channels? What number channels for non-played files?

2. Downloaded files you can check via any software player JRiver, foobar, audirvana, ...

3. What is 70a? Pioneer's player?

-Yuri