IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

An observation...

Large orchestral pieces are probably the hardest thing for a music setup to get right, since there are so many individual instruments and voices working at once.

What tbe Regen has FINALLY allowed me to do is notice, comprehend and appreciate the entire performance of an orchestra, since each piece is now clearly defined. Sure, I could always tell there were violins on the left and trumpets on the right but now, for instance, each violinist providing their own unique performance is very noticeable. It has transformed my appreciation for classical and I am forever grateful to the Uptone team for that.

An observation...

Large orchestral pieces are probably the hardest thing for a music setup to get right, since there are so many individual instruments and voices working at once.

What tbe Regen has FINALLY allowed me to do is notice, comprehend and appreciate the entire performance of an orchestra, since each piece is now clearly defined. Sure, I could always tell there were violins on the left and trumpets on the right but now, for instance, each violinist providing their own unique performance is very noticeable. It has transformed my appreciation for classical and I am forever grateful to the Uptone team for that.

Nice description. And thank you! And you are welcome. :)

On exasound e28 fempto clock mini xlr, the regen provide a bit more dynamic in the music and a bit more depth of soundstage and clarity.

Regen with js2 is another little step where I get more focus and better decay.

I was using wire world ultraviolet before the regen and wire world platinum after the regen. When was dac only without regen, I was using the platinum.

Hi there,

Recently I’m quite interested in curious cables. But before placing the order and have a try, have a few question to ask.

I'm currently have following system,

PC- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Atlas Usb cable -- Uptone Regen (powerd by BOTW 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Atlas Usb calbe -- Arcam Irdac (power by BOTW 12V) - Lehmann Linear -- Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (2nd)

Question 1:

Since I use the Sbooster Vbus to isolate the 5V power from USB due to my DAC is self-powered and I also see Curious can offer an in-line connector (add extra 20 dollars) to unplug the 5V line. My question is: Is it still necessary to use the Vbus isolator even I unplug 5V line from curious cable? Or vice versa?

Question 2:

As you can see, there are no SMPS units in my system, DAC and Upton Regen are both powered by linear power supply unit. From the FQA of curious cable, linear power supply will add harshness and brightness to the upper midrange. My T1 headphone already is kinda bright in that range, do you still recommend that my system can still sound better with curious cables powered by linear power supply? Any one has experience of the combination of your curious cable and Sbooster linear power supply? Is it still sounding significantly better?

I know it’s a long paragraph to read but any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Louis

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

From the FQA of curious cable, linear power supply will add harshness and brightness to the upper midrange.

That sounds like Bovine Excreta to me !

If it does so, then it's because this cable does not meet the relevant USB 2.0 specifications, and it suggests that inferior shielding may permit ingress of A.C. mains related harmonics. ( Yes, I know many of you love these Curious cables)

A good linear PSU will ALWAYS outperform a typical consumer grade SMPS, due in part to the much higher level of RF/EMI they inject back into the A.C. mains supply, as well as a much lower ripple frequency at the output of a Linear PSU, which is more readily rejected by I.C. voltage regulators than the much higher frequency of SMPS ripple. ( Typically at > 50kHz.)

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi there,

Recently I’m quite interested in curious cables. But before placing the order and have a try, have a few question to ask.

PC- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Atlas Usb cable -- Uptone Regen (powerd by BOTW 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Atlas Usb calbe -- Arcam Irdac (power by BOTW 12V) - Lehmann Linear -- Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (2nd)

Question 1:

Since I use the Sbooster Vbus to isolate the 5V power from USB due to my DAC is self-powered and I also see Curious can offer an in-line connector (add extra 20 dollars) to unplug the 5V line. My question is: Is it still necessary to use the Vbus isolator even I unplug 5V line from curious cable? Or vice versa?

Question 2:

As you can see, there are no SMPS units in my system, DAC and Upton Regen are both powered by linear power supply unit. From the FQA of curious cable, linear power supply will add harshness and brightness to the upper midrange. My T1 headphone already is kinda bright in that range, do you still recommend that my system can still sound better with curious cables powered by linear power supply? Any one has experience of the combination of your curious cable and Sbooster linear power supply? Is it still sounding significantly better?

I know it’s a long paragraph to read but any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Louis

I think you have asked your question in the wrong thread. Curious cable is not owned by Uptone Audio.

However, since I have personal experience with 3-wire cables here is my 2 cents advice:

1. Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator is actually a slight improvement together with 3-wire USB cables which Vbus1 was'nt. I guess that is due to the extra isolation from the 5v bus provided by the new Vbus2. It is only needed from the PC/streamer and not between Regen & DAC if you are using 3-wire USB cables on both spots.

2. I would'nt worry about harshness with LPS. That is one of the biggest advantages with cutting the 5v both before and after the USB Regen. It removes the harshness. If the harshness is gone the brightness is not as important...rather the opposite IMO.

BTW. I am personally using Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite which can be ordered as 3-wire USB cables as well as 4-wire USB cable with 5v plug.

🎛️  Audio System  

I think you have asked your question in the wrong thread. Curious cable is not owned by Uptone Audio.

However, since I have personal experience with 3-wire cables here is my 2 cents advice:

1. Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator is actually a slight improvement together with 3-wire USB cables which Vbus1 was'nt. I guess that is due to the extra isolation from the 5v bus provided by the new Vbus2. It is only needed from the PC/streamer and not between Regen & DAC if you are using 3-wire USB cables on both spots.

2. I would'nt worry about harshness with LPS. That is one of the biggest advantages with cutting the 5v both before and after the USB Regen. It removes the harshness. If the harshness is gone the brightness is not as important...rather the opposite IMO.

BTW. I am personally using Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite which can be ordered as 3-wire USB cables as well as 4-wire USB cable with 5v plug.

Thanks for the reply. Not many active members on Curious cable thread, thus I leave a message on more popular uptone regen thread.

So many options now, cables choices make me struggling.

1. Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite

2. Curious cable

3. AQVOX cable

Which one is the ultimate choice for connecting among PC, Uptone regen, DAC ? Any idea guys?

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

Thanks for the reply. Not many active members on Curious cable thread, thus I leave a message on more popular uptone regen thread.

So many options now, cables choices make me struggling.

1. Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite

2. Curious cable

3. AQVOX cable

Which one is the ultimate choice for connecting among PC, Uptone regen, DAC ? Any idea guys?

There is not a simple answer to your question since USB cables are very system dependent. Obviously I prefer Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite...but I have´nt actually listen to Aqvox USB cable or Curious cable...I just cannot see any cable improving what I have right now. I am very content so to speak. I know that both Elijah Audio and Curious cable offers satisfaction guarantee so it is very safe to try as long as you are careful with the cables.

There is however different approach between the two. Curious cable is shielded to reduce capasitive coupling with the GND close to the data wires while Konvertible Lite is unshielded with GND on a distance from the data wires to reduce capasitive coupling even further. You´ll also need to know that shielding changes the sound signature (less opened sound IMO) and unshielded wires are more "true" (still IMO) but sentivie to RFI/EMI and should be kept in shorter lenghts than 900mm and kept away from sources and other cables that could cause EMI/RFI to perform at best.

With Aqvox or Curious I would recommend using galvanic isolated USB (ex. wait for the uber-Regen or buy the Intona USB Isolator). With Konvertible Lite it will be enough with the Vbus2 since it uses unshielded wires (no current is travelling through the shield) and have much less capasitive coupling along the lenght of the wire (GND on a distance from the data wires).

In the end the choice is yours. Listen to what other people have to say about it and choose what ever you beleive in. Choose by heart and choose by mind! ;-)

🎛️  Audio System  

I'm kind of torn now...

I was using the Regen with an AQ Jitterbug. When I first got the regen a few days ago, it sounded amazing by itself, but I was struck by how much better it sounded with a JB in the mix. The music seemed considerably more "tangible"... instruments and singers seemed to be three dimensional objects in space, rather than the slightly flatter imaging without the JB. And the sound was definitely smoother and less brittle.

After a few days I took the JB out to get an idea of what the difference was again, and I was struck by how much detail was revealed. It seemed the JB was obscuring some low level detail and some authenticity about the recording.

So now I'm at a loss... I love hearing exactly what's on a recording, so hearing all the detail is key. But putting the JB back, I can't get over how much "better" and more pleasing it sounds... especially operas, where the singers seem like they're actual objects in space, rather than projections of sound, if that makes any sense. The Regen does a very good job of giving instruments and singers dimensionality, but the JB in line seems to enhance that to such a remarkable degree that it's hard to decide which is better for me... more authenticity (regen alone), or more pleasing realism (regen/JB combo). I can also turn the volume up much louder without fatigue with the JB in line.

I have two JBs, but having two was overkill, totally neutered the sound.

I'm kind of torn now...

I was using the Regen with an AQ Jitterbug. When I first got the regen a few days ago, it sounded amazing by itself, but I was struck by how much better it sounded with a JB in the mix. The music seemed considerably more "tangible"... instruments and singers seemed to be three dimensional objects in space, rather than the slightly flatter imaging without the JB. And the sound was definitely smoother and less brittle.

After a few days I took the JB out to get an idea of what the difference was again, and I was struck by how much detail was revealed. It seemed the JB was obscuring some low level detail and some authenticity about the recording.

So now I'm at a loss... I love hearing exactly what's on a recording, so hearing all the detail is key. But putting the JB back, I can't get over how much "better" and more pleasing it sounds... especially operas, where the singers seem like they're actual objects in space, rather than projections of sound, if that makes any sense. The Regen does a very good job of giving instruments and singers dimensionality, but the JB in line seems to enhance that to such a remarkable degree that it's hard to decide which is better for me... more authenticity (regen alone), or more pleasing realism (regen/JB combo). I can also turn the volume up much louder without fatigue with the JB in line.

A tip is to use a SBooster Vbus2 Isolator before the Jitterbug on the spot were USB cable is inserted (cuts the 5v before the JB and isolates it from the Bus). Also remove JB no 2 at the same time. Improves Jitterbug SQ with Regen IMO and on my setup.

🎛️  Audio System  

A tip is to use a SBooster Vbus2 Isolator before the Jitterbug on the spot were USB cable is inserted (cuts the 5v before the JB and isolates it from the Bus). Also remove JB no 2 at the same time. Improves Jitterbug SQ with Regen IMO and on my setup.

Interesting.

Don't some DACs need the 5v power though? Something about a handshake? I have a Schiit Bifrost 4490, has it's own power cord, but one time someone told me to put tape over the 1 and 4 pins on the JB to isolate the 5v, and my computer would no longer recognize my DAC.

Interesting.

Don't some DACs need the 5v power though? Something about a handshake? I have a Schiit Bifrost 4490, has it's own power cord, but one time someone told me to put tape over the 1 and 4 pins on the JB to isolate the 5v, and my computer would no longer recognize my DAC.

One of the good things with USB Regen is that it supplies the neccessary power for the DAC. Almost everyone can cut the power from the pc/streamer to USB Regen...but if your DAC needs the handshake and/or USB power you will need to have a normal 4-wire USB cable (or supplied adapter) inbetween the Regen and DAC. You should never tape over pin 4 (GND)...just pin 1(5v). It will most certainly not work without the GND. If it works with GND you will know it 100% since it requires dedicated mains and a proper star ground to function properly.

Edit. Just to make it perfectly clear: Cut the power on the USB cable between source and Regen...but NOT between the Regen and DAC. Never cut the ground (GND) if you are not aware about what you are doing...or like to gamble with safety.

Oh...one more thing. Taping over pin no 1 is just a way to see if it works...but cannot compare soundwise to cutting it off with a Vbus2. Also, make sure to clean that pin after the tape have been removed. Otherwise it can affect SQ.

🎛️  Audio System  

Just tried taping over the 5v. Actually seemed to sound slightly worse so I removed it.

As said above the tape is not a good option soundwise. Also you cannot be sure that the tape sticks properly. Cutting the 5v will ALWAYS improve SQ on any setup.

🎛️  Audio System  

If it works with GND you will know it 100% since it requires dedicated mains and a proper star ground to function properly.

It doesn't need a dedicated mains and a proper star ground to function properly. It only needs a 0 volts return path to the USB socket on the Motherboard. This 0 volts line is connected back to the 0 volts rail ("earth") of the internal power supply, which may, or may not, use a 3 pin I.E.C .mains plug to connect it to mains earth .Sometimes it will work without a 0 volts return wire if the shield of the cable is also connected to 0volts in the DAC etc. This will normally lead to some degradation though as this is a noisier "earth" return .

USB memory sticks for example, have the 0 volts (black wire) and the shield wire connected together internally.

Never cut the ground (GND) if you are not aware about what you are doing...or like to gamble with safety.

I presume you are talking here about disconnecting the mains earth connection to a mains powered device where provided, which is never a good idea.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

It doesn't need a dedicated mains and a proper star ground to function properly. It only needs a 0 volts return path to the USB socket on the Motherboard. This 0 volts line is connected back to the 0 volts rail ("earth") of the internal power supply, which may, or may not, use a 3 pin I.E.C .mains plug to connect it to mains earth .Sometimes it will work without a 0 volts return wire if the shield of the cable is also connected to 0volts in the DAC etc. This will normally lead to some degradation though as this is a noisier "earth" return .

USB memory sticks for example, have the 0 volts (black wire) and the shield wire connected together internally.

I know that there are some specifik cases that it could work...but generally it is a bad idea to cut the GND. The only situation that I personally know about when it is a good idea is when you use a proper star ground (and preferly a dedicated main to make it easier to achieve). Here is a great thread about that subject http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/vbus-isolator-sbooster-26228/index2.html

I presume you are talking here about disconnecting the mains earth connection to a mains powered device where provided, which is never a good idea.

No, I am not talking about safety ground. If you are not aware what you are doing in a worst comes to worst scenario a connected device may be damaged since the ground currents are "forced" to choose other paths than intended. If that path is not calculated it will could make someone unhappy. Before disconnecting the GND I only emphasis to be careful. Without a star ground you might just end up with a bad sound...not neccessarily with damaged gears. With star ground you could end up with the best possible sound. Just be very careful about it and do not make it into a gamble! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

With star ground you could end up with the best possible sound. Just be very careful about it and do not make it into a gamble!

A star ground is usually the best way to arrange the earth/0 volt returns inside an individual device , but it is not normally practical with multiple devices.

A star ground is usually the best way to arrange the earth/0 volt returns inside an individual device , but it is not normally practical with multiple devices.

Totally agree! There is more to it than what meets the eye. Looks pretty easy "on paper" to set up a star ground...but it tend to get more complicated with additional devices.

🎛️  Audio System  

I'm kind of torn now...

I had a similar experience to yours. I found that adding the Jitterbug to the Regen expanded the sound stage laterally and vertically and made the tone much richer and fuller—but in my setup, also impeded the rhythm, flow and enjoyement. My solution was to put one Jitterbug in the empty USB port of my MacBook Pro (instead of in-line with the USB cable). This setup seemed to retain most of the Jitterbug's benefits without messing with the music.

As said above the tape is not a good option soundwise.

It's not meant to be a permanent setup, it is meant for a quick test.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

That's a good way to test any equipment: use it for a while, then go back to without it and re-evaluate, etc...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hi all,

PC- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable -- Uptone Regen (powerd by BOTW 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable regen link -- Arcam Irdac (power by BOTW 12V) - Lehmann Linear -- Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (2nd)

At the moment, I have Uptone Regen in the chain of my system, one of the biggest reason I pick Uptone regen instead of W4S RUR is because it is compatible with Sbooster Vbus (2nd generation).

Since W4S RUR cannot go well with Sbooster Vbus. My question is, Will the combination of Uptone Regen and Vbus isolator sound better than W4S RUR alone? Otherwise, I might think about replace the Regen with RUR...

Any help would be appreciated,

Louis