IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Hey, I love the idea of an SMPS wall-wart designed to perform better. Would be fine with the REGEN if you set it for 9V. The regulators we use are quite exceptional, so it remains to be seen if a difference will be heard just due to lower SMPS ripple. We should not get wildly excited about their 1uV noise spec though--they are honest and show in a footnote that is an average measured in the audio band. That's not the range where SMPS are noisy.

Rich B.: please find out the price for this from iFi. I am hoping they will retail for about $30 +/-.

Cheers,

ALEX C.

I've heard back from Avatar on the iFi Audio iPower. Have been told price will be around $50. They should be available sometime next month. I'll be ordering some when they become available Alex and will be happy to send you one to try if you want.

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

Someone here asked to see a pic of the REGEN powering a GeekOut DAC/headphone amp. As promised, I borrowed my daughter's GO450 and took a pic. Was a good test since the Geek Out draws a claimed 350mW continuos (I suspect maybe a bit closer to the 500mA USB spec max.) from the VBUS, so the regulator got nice and warm (this with the 7.5V PS that will ship with the REGEN). But John used proper practices and put 9 thermal vias under the chip, so all was good.

Still, as explained before, I would not recommend using a 12V supply when powering a current hungry device like a headphone amp.

Pic with GeekOut.JPG

Superdad,

thanks for the photo! exactly what I was hoping to see, even if I can't hear (yet) what you were hearing and the Regen is delivering.

;-)

time to wait patiently in line until you turn us loose on ordering the Regen!

I might have a iFi iPower ($50) unit to review soon, would be good to pair it with the Regen just for grins.

at the 9V setting as you recommend to avoid frying parts.

Thank's Superdad for the picture !

sounds good... Maybe il will try.

In a better world for me, i would like a USB regen card (same as the MMK fan kit) to put inside my Mac mini.....

best regards

Pascal

Windows PC server/ Target PC Diretta / Audirvana/ DAC W4S 10th anniversary/ Jadis DA60 / Wilson Audio Sophia 

In a better world for me, i would like a USB regen card (same as the MMK fan kit) to put inside my Mac mini.....

best regards

Pascal

The Regen is designed like it is so it's closest to the dac input though. The next best would be for UpTone to license their technology for use within a dac.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I'm also on the list for one. :)

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Hi Gang:

Spent all day working on the web site. Will take it live in a couple of days and will start accepting REGEN orders (the site will take orders for the other products too :)).

Just a reminder, I HAVE NOT BEEN KEEPING TRACK of who has said they want one from the first hundred. THERE IS NO LIST YET! The only list is a mailing list. That is how everyone will get the announcement of the ordering site simultaneously. You will each have go to the site and enter your order, address, and payment (credit card or PayPal).

You guys are all great and I appreciate your patience. All the boards and other goodies are in house now. The only thing missing are the milled/printed aluminum cases from Japan. Those will arrive next week. So I think we are on track to start shipping about the April 15th--right on schedule.

Ciao,

--Alex

Hi Gang:

Spent all day working on the web site. Will take it live in a couple of days and will start accepting REGEN orders (the site will take orders for the other products too :)).

Just a reminder, I HAVE NOT BEEN KEEPING TRACK of who has said they want one from the first hundred. THERE IS NO LIST YET! The only list is a mailing list. That is how everyone will get the announcement of the ordering site simultaneously. You will each have go to the site and enter your order, address, and payment (credit card or PayPal).

You guys are all great and I appreciate your patience. All the boards and other goodies are in house now. The only thing missing are the milled/printed aluminum cases from Japan. Those will arrive next week. So I think we are on track to start shipping about the April 15th--right on schedule.

Ciao,

--Alex

Alex,

As long as I'm on the "list", I'm good. :D:)

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I just want let the thread followers here know that the manufacturing quality of Alex's product as evidenced by the JS-2 LPS which I have had running for 2 days now, is superb. Maybe Jeff Rowland has an edge in case quality, but Alex is not far behind.

Apologies for being off thread, but as this is the UpTone fan club, sonically the JS-2 is an absolute delight with the Exa E22 and I am sure it will be the same for my E20. Compared to the OEM SMPS wall wart the JS-2 brings more color and improved dynamics.

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Hi Gang:

Ciao,

--Alex

Should be soon now!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Should be soon now!

Yup. Cases arrive Monday or Tuesday. Will be having Tina (my very productive first hire) unwrapping and testing boards early in the week--while I wrestle a mountain of other details.

Oh Jason, your JS-2 shipped yesterday. Postal tracking system says it will be delivered on Saturday (Priority Mail is an amazing bargain). I'll e-mail you the tracking number.

Is you plan still to use the JS-2 to power your Auralic Aries? And then the REGEN from the other output later?

I noticed that your Bent Audio TAP-X preamp has a 9V input--but that's not for any audio circuitry right? Otherwise that would be an interesting application for one of the JS-2 outputs.

Did you see that Miguel (miguelito) is using his JS-2 on his Aries to goo effect? I don't know if he is sticking with the Aries or his Mac mini.

I am still envious of your pair of Rythmik subs. John Swenson brought his F12G over last year and it did wonderful things for my system. But my room is small, and it really needs to sit right between my speakers (where my amp now sits). Off to either side and becomes unbalanced due to wall boundary reinforcement. But a PAIR of them (one in front of each speaker) would take care of that!

Will have to see how the next couple of months go. If this first batch of REGENs sells as fast as you think they will…. ;)

Yup. Cases arrive Monday or Tuesday. Will be having Tina (my very productive first hire) unwrapping and testing boards early in the week--while I wrestle a mountain of other details.

Great!

Oh Jason, your JS-2 shipped yesterday. Postal tracking system says it will be delivered on Saturday (Priority Mail is an amazing bargain). I'll e-mail you the tracking number.

Got the info, thanks.

Did you see that Miguel (miguelito) is using his JS-2 on his Aries to goo effect? I don't know if he is sticking with the Aries or his Mac mini.

I didn't see that.

I am still envious of your pair of Rythmik subs. John Swenson brought his F12G over last year and it did wonderful things for my system. But my room is small, and it really needs to sit right between my speakers (where my amp now sits). Off to either side and becomes unbalanced due to wall boundary reinforcement. But a PAIR of them (one in front of each speaker) would take care of that!

3-4 is still better if properly setup. You should read the Geddes paper here. There are even waaay more than that from him if you have any interest. Alright, back to Regen...

The Geddes paper contains the best explanation I have ever read on what is important in loudspeaker design. It's backed up with objective scientific research as well. Thanks for sharing.

How do you like the Geddes speakers?

Without turning this into a Geddes thread, I love them. The man is as odd as they come but brilliant. Unfortunately he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Bottom line most audiophiles could care less about science.

His papers and book are all pretty amazing if you care to read more.

Without turning this into a Geddes thread, I love them. The man is as odd as they come but brilliant. Unfortunately he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Bottom line most audiophiles could care less about science.

His papers and book are all pretty amazing if you care to read more.

Not true, I recall talking to you at AC about Dr Geddes papers and the importance of measuring the RIGHT things. Measuring the wrong things is useless and many engineers persist in doing just that.

As Goldratt says, its not just WHAT to change, but what to change TO that is important. No substitute for keeping the brain engaged.

REGEN looks very interesting, I am very curious about this product and the primary function/advance in regenerating the USB data signal just before the DAC ... hopefully the website to order will be available soon.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Quick update:

Cases are here. Assembling and testing units now! Web site is half done with goal to be live by Sunday. Will begin shipping on schedule, Wednesday, April 15.

It's dark and rainy here today. Will take pictures in a couple of days when the sun comes out, but might just save those to put on the web site.

Thanks everyone!

ALEX C.

Quick update:

Cases are here. Assembling and testing units now! Web site is half done with goal to be live by Sunday. Will begin shipping on schedule, Wednesday, April 15.

It's dark and rainy here today. Will take pictures in a couple of days when the sun comes out, but might just save those to put on the web site.

Thanks everyone!

ALEX C.

So Sunday is the first day we can purchase? I am all over it!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Indeed! start the reload buttons this weekend!

What time specifically???

Alex, any west coast/UCLA bias here? :)

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Quick update:

Thanks everyone!

ALEX C.

Not sure which I'm more excited to hear ... Your soon to be up and selling regens or you getting rain? A big congrats on both accounts!

Dave

... Dave's not here

System: Mcintosh MC302 / Parasound P5 / Monitor Audio G60

Computer: Mac Mini 2012, SSD, 16gig, 10.10.3 with CAD 1.3 / External SSD via Thunderbolt / Amarra 3.0.3

Cables: iFi Gemini Duel Head USB Cable / Uptone Regen / Acoustic Zen / Unity Audio PC's

Not sure which I'm more excited to hear ... Your soon to be up and selling regens or you getting rain? A big congrats on both accounts!

Yes, thanks Dave. We got a good soaking from a full downpour most of the day, but it could rain for forty days and nights and still not get California out of this terrible drought. It is going to be a rough summer here in the mountains. Fire season is likely to be very bad this year.