IGNORED

How to install - Uptone JS-2 and MMK board (photos photos photos!)

issac

Hi guys,

Some weeks ago I order with Alex a JS-2 and MMK board - one of the most important components in my set.

At the first time, I read the manual... is very well documented.. it describes ever single detail. However, I take some photos for all installation and I will share here... I will not describe which steps or what you need to do. this is just a photo album.

Alex, if you want yo uese this photos, please feel free... :)

IMG_0356_zps7c09da51.jpg

IMG_0357_zpsd89f14db.jpg

IMG_0359_zps10ea2674.jpg

IMG_0360_zpse8818072.jpg

IMG_0358_zpsf19091a3.jpg

Just like fatanstic... the package is "Apple-Standard"... very well packaged....

IMG_0361_zps814d2c40.jpg

IMG_0363_zps37a35769.jpg

IMG_0362_zpsb4f24a1c.jpg

IMG_0364_zpsa3095fee.jpg

IMG_0365_zps2a5a902f.jpg

IMG_0367_zpsdfb446b4.jpg

IMG_0368_zpsf160cdd1.jpg

Warm Regards,

Issac Ohasi

Fear build walls! Roger Waters

Speakers, WIFI and BT Connections

IMG_0457_zpscdb74c5b.jpg

IMG_0458_zps797bef44.jpg

IMG_0464_zpscdc3dcab.jpg

IMG_0459_zps31ed437c.jpg

IMG_0470_zps22825878.jpg

IMG_0472_zps54b8d6f7.jpg

IMG_0476_zpsb1a4507b.jpg

IMG_0483_zps32141f46.jpg

IMG_0484_zpsbea46143.jpg

IMG_0485_zps29378601.jpg

IMG_0486_zps423c9e9c.jpg

IMG_0487_zps36136ac1.jpg

IMG_0489_zps061dd42c.jpg

Isolate the antenna... No Wifi in my Mac... no internal speakers in my mac, but stay there, (I only disable disconnecting the wires)

IMG_0490_zps40a52e80.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsa0f6ac57.jpg

IMG_0492_zpsc25bda28.jpg

IMG_0494_zps03ff4c88.jpg

IMG_0498_zpsf23eafb3.jpg

I put a isolate tape between the connectors No WIFI!

Warm Regards,

Issac Ohasi

Wow Issac, that is a lot of pictures! I hope everyone realizes that a normal installation of an UpTone Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) does NOT require nearly so man steps or such extreme disassembly of their Mac mini. I do it in a quick 15 minutes, and after reading my instruction guide most people perform the procedure slowly in about 40 minutes. And I provide the proper Mac mini toolkit with the MMK.

Still, thanks very much for posting all your photos. I hope your 3M shielding gives a pleasing sonic effect (I have had mixed results with it).

Happy Holidays to all!

--Alex C.

Wow Issac, that is a lot of pictures! I hope everyone realizes that a normal installation of an UpTone Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) does NOT require nearly so man steps or such extreme disassembly of their Mac mini. I do it in a quick 15 minutes, and after reading my instruction guide most people perform the procedure slowly in about 40 minutes. And I provide the proper Mac mini toolkit with the MMK.

Still, thanks very much for posting all your photos. I hope your 3M shielding gives a pleasing sonic effect (I have had mixed results with it).

Happy Holidays to all!

--Alex C.

Hi Alex.

Thank you so much for the sell me the Uptone JS-2. It just wonderful, and I believe with JS-2 + MACMINI + 3M Shields we have a superior audio device. I listen so days ago a Esoteric K-03 SACD and I belieave my mac can reproduce music like no other. The difference? Some thousand dollars with the equipament and some dollars with the sacd / cd media, space to store medias, ....

I added some nordosts sort kones in my mac and Uptone LPS and give more results... I will post the photos soon...

... just to know.. to make all this adjustments in my mac I took 4 hours including shield all components with 7 layers of 3M,

Warm Regards,

Issac Ohasi

• 4 months later...
Wow!! That is a lot of Work!

My MMK Kit arrived. Installed the kit without any problem except that I seem to can't find a suitable space to place the white plastic round "washer".

Guys, any idea where I did I miss out?

Regards Wayne

Hi Wayne:

If you look at page 3, item "k." of the MMK installation guide, you will see that the nylon space washer is only for 2011/'12 and maybe 2014 Mac minis. SInce you have a 2010 Mac mini that part is not needed.

I apologize to everyone for not yet getting the complete photo walk-through of the MMK install up on my web site. I have about 100 detailed pictures of the procedure, and scrolling though those one could pretty much dispense with my detailed 10-page written guide. Now that both the current batch of REGENs and the last six JS-2 LPS units are all shipped out, I will have a lot of time in early May to get to this and other documentation projects.

Here is a pic of where that little washer would go (it's just to keep the brackets from rattling; a tab from the removed SMPS was in that spot beforehand):

MMK spacer washer.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to installing the program Alex Crespi of UpTone Audio recommended for me to assure that after installing the MMK in my 2011 Thunderbolt edition Mac Mini after replacing the stock power supply. There are two (2) programs that Alex referred to, e.g., one he uses and the other he recommended because the program starts off with a measurement, which can also be set to a specfici fan speed or automatic detection etc.

I am pleased not only to have successfully installed the MMK without any problems whatsoever, of course, taking my time -- in fact as much time as I required before proceeding to the next step and finally returning the cover to the Mac Mini.

A few moments ago, I downloaded the program Alex identified as the starter program for monitoring at Macs Fan Control - control fans of any Mac & Boot Camp! | CRYSTALIDEA Software (free of charge). Installation was nearly automatic. Moved the program to my Application folder and found the icon on the menu bar at the top of my Thunderbolt Cinema Display. With automatic sensing the fan speed is at and about the speed of 1800. Frankly, despite the delay with implementing this simple program, I am relieved that the fan speed is being monitored and the fan is working and being regulated by one of the MMK sensor operations with the supplied cable connection from JS-2 to MMK port on the back of my Mac Mini.

Thank you once again, Alex.

Best,

Richard

I

Finally got around to installing the program Alex Crespi of UpTone Audio recommended for me to assure that after installing the MMK in my 2011 Thunderbolt edition Mac Mini after replacing the stock power supply. There are two (2) programs that Alex referred to, e.g., one he uses and the other he recommended because the program starts off with a measurement, which can also be set to a specfici fan speed or automatic detection etc.

I am pleased not only to have successfully installed the MMK without any problems whatsoever, of course, taking my time -- in fact as much time as I required before proceeding to the next step and finally returning the cover to the Mac Mini.

A few moments ago, I downloaded the program Alex identified as the starter program for monitoring at Macs Fan Control - control fans of any Mac & Boot Camp! | CRYSTALIDEA Software (free of charge). Installation was nearly automatic. Moved the program to my Application folder and found the icon on the menu bar at the top of my Thunderbolt Cinema Display. With automatic sensing the fan speed is at and about the speed of 1800. Frankly, despite the delay with implementing this simple program, I am relieved that the fan speed is being monitored and the fan is working and being regulated by one of the MMK sensor operations with the supplied cable connection from JS-2 to MMK port on the back of my Mac Mini.

Thank you once again, Alex.

Best,

Richard

Thanks for this reminder - I'd forgotten about it. Will get to dl later today. Mind you no problems at all over the many months of mmk operation!

BTW, what are you using the Atlona for these days? Mine is just sitting in a cupboard!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I

Thanks for this reminder - I'd forgotten about it. Will get to dl later today. Mind you no problems at all over the many months of mmk operation!

BTW, what are you using the Atlona for these days? Mine is just sitting in a cupboard!

Hello James,

You're welcome. Sorry for the late reply.

I use the Atlona De-embedder to bypass the Dacs in my Oppo 95 which I employ (only) for playing SHM-SACD/SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-A (audio discs, no video) by connecting one of the HDMI outputs to the De-embedder's input. I use a Black Cat BNC coax cable from the De-embedder to my W4S Dac2 DSDse's coax 1 input and thus the W4S Dac2 DSDse which I believe are better than the Oppo Dacs.

I learned about this method from ted_b several years ago when I was a member at Audio Circle Forum and Audio Asylum, where I no longer post and before I joined CA. So for example, a few days ago, after what seemed like an interminable wait, Elusive Disc delivered my back-ordered MFSL Kind Of Blue Hybrid SACD which I first listened to after converting to AIFF using XLD. Then I listened to the SACD layer of the actual disc through the Oppo 95 but through the W4S Dac2 DSDse (Dacs) bypassing the Oppo's Dacs processing the signal. I own many SHM-SACDs and no way (that I know) to convert digitally.

Glad you are enjoying the MMK and is trouble-free. BTW, the other program that Alex Crespi uses is to quote Alex:

"Another popular free utility for fan control and temperature reporting is smcFanControl fromhttp://www.eidac.de. That is what I had been using, but I am recommending "Macs Fan Control" because it reports the fan speed the moment you launch it." (sic)

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thanks Richard,

yes, pretty much the same where & when I got involved with de-embedding sacd. I've since got someone local who has ripped all mine to dsd iso. Keep buying them of course, & was going to chase down a ps3 - I'm now waiting to see if mr wicked's mooted solution comes to fruition.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Thanks Richard,

yes, pretty much the same where & when I got involved with de-embedding sacd. I've since got someone local who has ripped all mine to dsd iso. Keep buying them of course, & was going to chase down a ps3 - I'm now waiting to see if mr wicked's mooted solution comes to fruition.

You're welcome, James.

Many years ago when I bought my PS3 and had the chance to purchase the model that played SACD, I did not appreciate that I might someday find a very useful application for the PS3 SACD model, so I purchased the lesser model instead. A mistake I regret. I do not mind playing the SHM-SACDs through the Oppo 95 bypassing the Oppo Dacs and enjoying my W4S Dac2 DSDse.

I, too, am hoping for a solution that will provide "us" with other options. Until then...

Best,

Richard