IGNORED

Dire Need of Speaker Advice

And bring your own music!

Excellent advise. All they had that I'm familiar with was "Hell Freezes Over" which would sound great on the crappiest equipment. I like a system with slam. Stewart Copeland's snare drum on Synchronicity slapped me hard in the face when hearing it in a high end recording studio in the 1980's. It's been a litmus test since.

I highly recommend Sunny Components in Covina, California. The salesman was enthusiastic, honest, listened to me, and watched my reaction without making me feel stared at (well... for the most part). After we finished the auditions and talked about bringing my own music back for another listen, he said "You wanna see our other room... just for the fun of it?" I was thankful he didn't show me this room until after the bookshelf auditions. Wall-to-wall $500,000 tube systems with Audio Research and Wilson Audio in abundance. The salesman made me feel comfortable while not failing to show me what is possible with an increased budget commitment.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

KEF LS50, in my experience, and for the money, it isn't close! They are an absolute steal!

John

Greetings, folks.

I came into a small inheritance last night, and decided to allocate up to $1500 on a pair of speakers. Ronald Reagan was in office the last time I bought new stereo speakers. In spite of living 28 miles from Los Angeles, there are no audio stores near me save Magnolia's in the local BestBuy. Needless to say, I need some suggestions.

The room is my drum practice studio in my home. However, these speakers would be used for listening only, and not to practice drums to. I favor Jazz & Classical, but also like Classic Rock. Room size is 12'X13' with a 10' ceiling, and the walls are carpeted. I'm open to spending another $1000 for new amplification (preferably integrated) but would prefer powering the new speakers with either our Yamaha C70 preamp + Yamaha M70 power amp (200 wpc) or our Luxman R-117 receiver (160 wpc) which would be sent to Northridge Electronics in Simi Valley, California for complete renewal. As I am not the brute I once was, I'll be steering clear of big and/or heavy choices, thus Maggies & actives are out.

I'm totally open to your suggestions. That said, here are some speakers I'm considering, starting from models with an actual drool factor and ending with "would-likely-do" factor (based solely on reviews):

Dynaudio (entirely open to model - I don't believe this company makes anything less than great)

Paradigm Studio 20

KEF LS50 (pricey, but might be worth it)

Monitor Audio Silver 6

DefTech Studio Monitor 65 (somewhere in the back of my mind, I think this may be the right choice)

Klipsch Reference II RB-81 II

Wharefedale Diamond 10.2

JBL L830

Polk LSiM703

KEF Q300

Btw, I would be building the stands myself (if stands are necessary), and to a very high standard; probably from White Oak for its rigidity & heaviness.

Thanks.

Gary

Some ramblings which might help (or add to your confusion)

I've heard Dynaudio bookshelves sounding pretty good in store but picked up a pair of the first X12s and just couldn't get them to sing in my system/room. Sounded dull and muffled. I do suspect a mismatch with the amp I had at the time and possibly the newer models are different but I definitely wouldn't buy Dynaudios again without a careful in home trial.

''Borrowed'' a pair of Defitive Tech 55s from Future Shop a while back. I had read a lot of positive comments and figured, like Best Buy, I could return them no questions asked – which I did. They had some qualities(bass was decent) but, compared to my Proac monitors, sounded too ''nasal''

I wouldn't write off Paradigm (or PSB for that matter). For the price their Mini Monitors are excellent little speakers. I heard the Studio range which I found a tad too aggressive at the time but it could have been the source. Probably worth checking out as well as their new Prestige series.

I listened to some Dali Zensor 3s lately. You could do a lot worse for the price. In fact I intend on picking up a pair to try out at home.

Since its launch the LS50 has been getting a lot of positive press. I heard them on the end of a 50w Rega Brio-R. They did sound impressive but not sure if I could live with them long term. Seemed a bit shouty. The Q300 sounded nicer to me.

Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of B&W. However, like Dynaudio, their tweeters are quite nice.

The 685s2 did get a lot of positive press and, within their price range, are probably a safe bet.

Monitor Audio have a reputation of being all tizz and boom. I listened to the Silver series on the end of an all Moon kit and thought they weren't ''that'' bad.

The Martin Logan 35XT could be interesting but I haven't found them locally (yet)

One inexpensive speaker that I found quite entertaining was the JBL Studio 530. I just couldn't picture them in my living room (ugly).

BTW – my lithmus test dating back to the 80's is Spirits in the Material World from Ghost in the Machine.

If your system can't clearly define Sting's bass line and you can't feel Stewart Copeland's drum thwack then there's a problem.

Nothing a few hundred watts and a pair of old school JBLs can't cure.

Some ramblings which might help (or add to your confusion)

I've heard Dynaudio bookshelves sounding pretty good in store but picked up a pair of the first X12s and just couldn't get them to sing in my system/room. Sounded dull and muffled. I do suspect a mismatch with the amp I had at the time and possibly the newer models are different but I definitely wouldn't buy Dynaudios again without a careful in home trial.

''Borrowed'' a pair of Defitive Tech 55s from Future Shop a while back. I had read a lot of positive comments and figured, like Best Buy, I could return them no questions asked – which I did. They had some qualities(bass was decent) but, compared to my Proac monitors, sounded too ''nasal''

I wouldn't write off Paradigm (or PSB for that matter). For the price their Mini Monitors are excellent little speakers. I heard the Studio range which I found a tad too aggressive at the time but it could have been the source. Probably worth checking out as well as their new Prestige series.

I listened to some Dali Zensor 3s lately. You could do a lot worse for the price. In fact I intend on picking up a pair to try out at home.

Since its launch the LS50 has been getting a lot of positive press. I heard them on the end of a 50w Rega Brio-R. They did sound impressive but not sure if I could live with them long term. Seemed a bit shouty. The Q300 sounded nicer to me.

Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of B&W. However, like Dynaudio, their tweeters are quite nice.

The 685s2 did get a lot of positive press and, within their price range, are probably a safe bet.

Monitor Audio have a reputation of being all tizz and boom. I listened to the Silver series on the end of an all Moon kit and thought they weren't ''that'' bad.

The Martin Logan 35XT could be interesting but I haven't found them locally (yet)

One inexpensive speaker that I found quite entertaining was the JBL Studio 530. I just couldn't picture them in my living room (ugly).

BTW – my lithmus test dating back to the 80's is Spirits in the Material World from Ghost in the Machine.

If your system can't clearly define Sting's bass line and you can't feel Stewart Copeland's drum thwack then there's a problem.

Nothing a few hundred watts and a pair of old school JBLs can't cure.

The Dali Zensor 3 is solidly in the running. Thanks.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Correction: I meant the R300

Sorry

I agree. Especially when modest electronics are involved. The little LS50's can sound spectacular on the right electronics but the R series is easier to integrate into an average system.

I will have to agree. I should have couched my recommendation for the LS50's with that same caveat.

JC

I agree. Especially when modest electronics are involved. The little LS50's can sound spectacular on the right electronics but the R series is easier to integrate into an average system.

I decided to go with the B&W 685 S2. The LS50 would surely require more kit upgrades, the R300 requires more space, and despite their attractive price, neither the Dali Zensor 3 or Epos Epic are readily available for audition. In contrast, the B&W's have nothing but rave reviews, are available locally for easy purchased, and if necessary, are easily returned. I'll connect them through the network to an AppleTV/Optical cable/(Newly-ordered) Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC/Amplification (TBD between Luxman R-117, Yamaha C70 preamp/M70 power amp, Marantz 2330B, Kenwood KR9600, new?), and controlled by my iPad Air and JRemote. With any luck, it should be a nice little mid-fi rig.

As always, your help has been greatly appreciated.

Gary

I decided to go with the B&W 685 S2. The LS50 would surely require more kit upgrades, the R300 requires more space, and despite their attractive price, neither the Dali Zensor 3 or Epos Epic are readily available for audition. In contrast, the B&W's have nothing but rave reviews, are available locally for easy purchased, and if necessary, are easily returned. I'll connect them through the network to an AppleTV/Optical cable/(Newly-ordered) Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC/Amplification (TBD between Luxman R-117, Yamaha C70 preamp/M70 power amp, Marantz 2330B, Kenwood KR9600, new?), and controlled by my iPad Air and JRemote. With any luck, it should be a nice little mid-fi rig.

As always, your help has been greatly appreciated.

Gary

Enjoy your new purchase! Let us know how it turns out!

Computer >> Pioneer VSX 520 >> PSB Imagine B

BTW – my lithmus test dating back to the 80's is Spirits in the Material World from Ghost in the Machine. If your system can't clearly define Sting's bass line and you can't feel Stewart Copeland's drum thwack then there's a problem. Nothing a few hundred watts and a pair of old school JBLs can't cure.

Your comment on Ghost In The Machine brought back that very nice memory as if it was yesterday.

I'll never forget that day in the studio. It was late 1982. I'd joined a band called Undercover just 6 months prior. This was to be their second album, but it was my first. Listening to music at that state of the art studio had the desired effect: it was absolutely awe inspiring. We listened to music for the sound we were about to attempt for our own album. There were two songs that became our litmus test: Missing Person's Mental Hopscotch, and The Police's Ghost In The Machine. In my approach to playing; speaking purely of the "drum beat"; Terry Bozzio has influenced my playing the most. We listened at almost deafening SPL's, and it was IMPRESSIVE to say the least! What a great memory...

Gary

It's 3:20AM and I can't sleep from a Percoset high. It was either that or suffer unbearable pain from another severe migraine I've had since birth. The upside is I can give an update on my new little system.

Elite Custom Audio & Video in Montclair, California arrived at my office about 12 hours ago and delivered my new B&W 685 S2's. On the way home, I checked the mail, and found that my new Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC had also arrived. Great timing.

For the past 11 hours, the new speakers & DAC have been blossoming by the music of Frank Sinatra. In short, my expectations have already been exceeded. After the first few minutes of hearing them, I decided to to disconnect them from the active subwoofer and let them run full range - only to find they were already running full range. I had forgotten that I'd bypassed the subwoofer a few weeks ago:)

These are keepers.

Gary

It's 3:20AM and I can't sleep from a Percoset high. It was either that or suffer unbearable pain from another severe migraine I've had since birth. The upside is I can give an update on my new little system.

Elite Custom Audio & Video in Montclair, California arrived at my office about 12 hours ago and delivered my new B&W 685 S2's. On the way home, I checked the mail, and found that my new Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC had also arrived. Great timing.

For the past 11 hours, the new speakers & DAC have been blossoming by the music of Frank Sinatra. In short, my expectations have already been exceeded. After the first few minutes of hearing them, I decided to to disconnect them from the active subwoofer and let them run full range - only to find they were already running full range. I had forgotten that I'd bypassed the subwoofer a few weeks ago:)

These are keepers.

Gary

Fantastic. Your patience and homework paid off. Great to hear you are thrilled with your new setup!

David

Fantastic. Your patience and homework paid off. Great to hear you are thrilled with your new setup!

You were very helpful, my friend. I really am quite thrilled. I'm building the stands now. Basically, the stands are brick sandwiched between two thick pieces of solid Maple. Adjustable spikes will connect them to the concrete slab under the carpeted floor. The tweeters will be at ear height.

Thanks for all the help.

Gary

This will be an unpopular recommendation but I would consider the Behringer 2031a Truth loudspeakers. These are active so the only thing needed is a signal input. They measure very well, outstanding for the amount of money.

For or a room as small as yours having good pattern control by use of waveguide or horn will be highly beneficial in minimizing room interaction.

Thanks for this terrific thread. I'm looking to pair speakers in this price range to a new PS Audio Sprout. I'm currently listening to the Andrew Jones Pioneer BS22s and am looking to upgrade. I've listened to the Wharfedale 10.2 in my home and liked it, but want to consider other and am willing to go up to $1000. Any experience with the Peachtree D5?

And finally, what should I be concerned about, if anything, when purchasing used or refurbished speakers?

Thanks for this terrific thread. I'm looking to pair speakers in this price range to a new PS Audio Sprout. I'm currently listening to the Andrew Jones Pioneer BS22s and am looking to upgrade. I've listened to the Wharfedale 10.2 in my home and liked it, but want to consider other and am willing to go up to $1000. Any experience with the Peachtree D5?

And finally, what should I be concerned about, if anything, when purchasing used or refurbished speakers?

My only advice concerns used speakers that haven't been refurbished: I would try to stick with speaker models very familiar to me. If you do this, you'll have a better understanding of what can be expected from them, and you stand a better chance of recognizing if/when they need an overhaul.

About my experience with the B&W 685 S2's at low level & near-field: high scores on both - especially low level. Mine are about 8' from the listening position, but the carpeted walls pretty much give me more of a near field scenario than not. They sound absolutely great to my ears.

Good luck.