IGNORED

SACDs & HDMI vs Optical or Coax digital

Somewhat of a noob issue as I am simply trying to playback SACD's on my bluray player. I was surprised that I could only get digital audio out from a new SACD purchase via HDMI. On further research discovered this has something to do with DRM which is only supported with HDMI. But, my DAC does not have any HDMI inputs! So what do people do? I did notice I have a toslink (optical digital) out on the back of my plasma. So would one possible solution be to go HDMI out to plasma> toslink out to DAC ?? Would my DAC still be getting the full SACD signal?

Somewhat of a noob issue as I am simply trying to playback SACD's on my bluray player. I was surprised that I could only get digital audio out from a new SACD purchase via HDMI. On further research discovered this has something to do with DRM which is only supported with HDMI. But, my DAC does not have any HDMI inputs! So what do people do? I did notice I have a toslink (optical digital) out on the back of my plasma. So would one possible solution be to go HDMI out to plasma> toslink out to DAC ?? Would my DAC still be getting the full SACD signal?

It would not. I do not know what your system is or your goals are but the options include using the analog output of the player, having the (unnamed) player convert the output to PCM (which will likely pass via coax) or getting a DAC that will accept HDMI. There are other, more di$ruptive, options.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

It would not. I do not know what your system is or your goals are but the options include using the analog output of the player, having the (unnamed) player convert the output to PCM (which will likely pass via coax) or getting a DAC that will accept HDMI. There are other, more di$ruptive, options.

Thanks. So tried it and I AM getting a clean audio signal but, if what you say is true, what exactly am I hearing? Only redbook audio?

I'm fairly certain the HDMI digital audio leaving my player is native DSD .

So is the digital signal somehow altered when it leaves my plasma?

Thanks. So tried it and I AM getting a clean audio signal but, if what you say is true, what exactly am I hearing? Only redbook audio?
Depends on your specific components and settings. I cannot predict what.

Why? What are you connecting the HDMI output to?

Sure. It is extremely unlikely that it is DSD.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

When you connect a player to a display via HDMI; the player asks the display "what formats can you play". The TV will report and the player will adapt to send only supported formats.

So the player is likely to be down converting to PCM probably CD quality.

Perhaps listing what equipment you have would be helpful.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.