IGNORED

CAPS with Win Server and AO or NAD M50 or Bryston BDP-1 or Aires

kunarx

Hello everyone

I need help as I am thoroughly confused. I need something to get music files stored on my NAS into my DAC. I have read many forum posts on this site and others and have narrowed down the choices but need help in finalising one of these.

I am currently using a laptop with Win server 2012, Audiophile Optimiser and JRiver, USB out into my DAC. Files are on a Synology NAS. Flac and Wave.

I wanted to get something better than my noisy laptop.

I am not interested in DSD as my DAC does not support it and I have no plans to change it in the near future. Further I do not care if the streamer/network player outputs to the DAC via USB or SPDIF. Everyone says USB is better but most people who have AB'ed it confirm there is very little difference between them. I just want something that sounds good.

The price of each of these options are given below. Hope that helps you all in suggesting something.

NAD M51 - $2100

Bryston BDP -1 - $1650

Aires - $2250

Zuma with linear PS - $2300 (APPX)

As I don't use Apple I would prefer not to use Aires but if it sounds better I can buy it and wait for the promised Android app. Also even if get a CAPS type solution I do not plan to have a 2 PC set up using JPLAY and AO as it becomes too expensive for me.

Thanks in advance for you feedback.

Can you get the parts (the motherboard in particular) for a Zuma?

I was infact thinking of a similar set up to the ZUMA, even if that means I get a different MB. I was thinking of other aspects like fanless /SSD/ USB card/ I7 processor and running Win Server 2012 and AO if I go down this path.

I heard the NAD M50, Auralic Aris and Bryston BDP-1 today.

Music was on a usb stick. NAD M50 via coax, Bryston via AES and Auralic via USB cable into the same dac (Auralic Vega). All other equipment was the same.

My observations as follows:

NAD M50: At first I liked the sound. Fairly detailed but I soon realised it was infact harsh. The top end was extended but it was almost grating with some recordings. I liked the air around the instruments but ultimately too rough and sibilant.

Bryston BDP-1: I really liked this. Excellent bottom end. In control top end. No Sibilance. Real authority to the music. Slightly warm sounding. Less air around the instruments than the NAD. IMHO clearly better than the NAD M50.

Auralic Aries: Nice top end. More detail compared to the Bryston but not brittle like the NAD. However lacked the bottom end of the bryston. Somehow music sounded a little flat compared to the Bryston.

Therefore for me the NAD is out. I liked the Bryston and also the aries even though they sound quite different. I wish the Bryston had a slightly more extended top end.

I still need to try and work out how the Auralic Aries sounds compared to a CAPS with Win server and AO. Any comments in this regard is appreciated.