IGNORED

To nearfield or not to nearfield?

I extensively use beyerdynamic T 1 headphones with Benchmark DAC 2 D (well, happened). The cord limits mobility somewhat, plus I would love to have a little more "stage". I am happy with the sound, but want a change at times.

The thinking is to get an amped 2.1 system under $3000. Specifically I thought of Genelec G Three with their F Two subwoofer (like in the "systems" tab here) off of the same DAC. But those Genelecs are not available around Chicago to listen to. Even if I would like it, showrooms sound very differently than my office.

So, a few questions:

1. Is my assumption realistic that I can find a sound setup comparable to what I have at the price I target?
  2. Is it a good idea anyway?
  3. What would be your choice of a system like that?

Thank you!

I recently just put together a system in my office that turned out to be much better than I thought it would. With the DAC you have you could just add the powered monitors I bought from Emotiva. I purchased the Stealth 8's and the bass is pretty impressive and the power is overwhelming. I have put a sub in the system but it is not a necessity. I would hook the Stealth's up to your DAC with balanced cables and use it's attenuator for volume. My office system has inadvertently turned out to be a marketing ad for the equipment I bought. Many people have duplicated it after listening to it. Good luck with you endeavors, I hope you enjoy your new system as much as I did!!

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/stealth-8

Curtis

I extensively use beyerdynamic T 1 headphones with Benchmark DAC 2 D (well, happened). The cord limits mobility somewhat, plus I would love to have a little more "stage". I am happy with the sound, but want a change at times.

The thinking is to get an amped 2.1 system under $3000. Specifically I thought of Genelec G Three with their F Two subwoofer (like in the "systems" tab here) off of the same DAC. But those Genelecs are not available around Chicago to listen to. Even if I would like it, showrooms sound very differently than my office.

So, a few questions:

1. Is my assumption realistic that I can find a sound setup comparable to what I have at the price I target?

Thank you!

Usually $1K HPs are compared to $5-10K speakers in terms of clarity & detail. But that's not a law or somethin :)

I'll recommend reading this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/851143-high-end-nearfield-test.html

A huge thread by any standards so here's a summary: to pretty much everyone's surprise two largely unknown brands ended up as the undisputed winners both in terms of soundQ and ROI: Geithain of Germany and Amphion of Finland. Both have models that will suit your budget, e.g.

http://www.me-geithain.de/index.php/en/studio/products/active-loudspeaker/rl906

http://www.amphion.fi/en/create/products/one18/

May not be easy to find in USA but Chicago is a big city, you may be lucky.

Very interesting options - thank you! I am very intrigued by RL906, Emotiva. Vanatoo seems to have more complexity than I need.

Coincidentally, Genelec US sent me a note that in some reasonable time they may have an ability to have the G Threes + F Two system for an audition in Chicago. Which I am looking forward to - and it gives me more time to research the options.

Thank you, your answers are very helpful!

• 4 weeks later...

I would consider near field but be aware of early reflections. If you can suspend or elevate the speakers to get them away from early reflections this will help in keeping the direct sound as clean as possible. The whole point of near field is to get the room out of the way which is usually a good idea in most normal situations.

So, a few questions:

Thank you!

Have you looked at the new additions to the SAM series:

8330a + 7350 sub + GLM 2.0

It will weigh in just north of USD 3000,- (or at with a little negotiation).

The rig will adapt to play linear down to below 22hz with perfect sub integration due to careful DSP.

You can calibrate to suit several listening distances.

If you like the calibrated system in one room, you'll like it in any other acoustically reasonable room.

Improve by supplying the rig digital signal (S/PDIF or AES/EBU)

I would go for something along these lines rather than the G / F series (and they are actually very good)

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

• 3 weeks later...

Genelecs are good, you can trial them from Sweetwater. But why not use minitowers? They are much more efficient than 2.1 systems: the cabinets use the volume of air under the speaker for the same price as a speaker stand. Look at the better PSBs like the Imagine Ts with an outboard amp. Anyway for other actives look at Dynaudio BM15As or BM12 MkIIIs on their included stands.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

• 5 years later...

I an revisiting the topic at the new thread here.

Since this original thread, the finances had changed, but I saved up for a close-enough system. I also moved from a house in Chicago suburbs to a high-rise in San Francisco FD. So I have significantly less space (1/4) to deal with. Some suggestions here did not work out then, nor now, so I have moved it to that new thread.