IGNORED

CPU under performing when rendering audio

or3

Hello, I'm experiencing two, perhaps, unrelated problems. One related to CPU processing audio and the other about EMI shielding my sound card.

getting a lot of overruns on FL studio 11 occuring with only 3-4 channels playing on a single pattern. All of the threads I've read have not worked. I'm currently running an HT Omega Claro+, i7 980x (6 physical cores, 12 logic cores), 12gb ram. I do not use ASIO4ALL because I can't get any output when that option is selected, and I've read that it's unnecessary when a dedicated sound card is in use. I have the buffer rate turned all the way up, I've tried changing priority on FL studio in task manager to high which does nothing. I have around 6-7 massive channels bridged in the project I'm working on so I wonder if that's an issue, but at any one given time or pattern I only have 2-3 massive channels in use. I've also noticed that there is now a constant fluctuation on the FL CPU monitor going from 0-4%.

Additionally, when the artifacting occurs the CPU usage on FL is inconsistent with the read outs on task manager or other CPU performance monitoring programs. When FL lists CPU usage at ~90% CoreTemp lists 5 cores fluctuating around 1-7% with one core around 30-44%.

I'm really not sure what I can do differently, my hardware is all top notch to my knowledge, with the exception of a few lower grade hdds for storage. Even then, my main hdd's are 7200rpm or sata3 SSDs. I can provide more pictures or information if needed.

Anyone have some information about fixing these overruns? I've been reading about EMI shielding, would this affect overruns or playback? I'm considering making a home made shield via google search, but I don't know if it would be necessary. The sheidling doesn't seem to affect the direct output of the sound card though (the overuns do), only through the front panel.pattern ss.png

For decreasing CPU loading in some DAW present "Freeze" function. It allow make DSP frosen track non-real-time and save it to intermediate file. When frozen track played back audio extracted from the file without real-time DSP.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Try running a general CPU benchmark like Cinebench R10 to see if it's an issue with the system or an issue with FL Studio.

It looks like an i7 980x should score about 25,000-26,000 in the multicore CPU rendering test at the stock 3.33GHz.

I tried testing it with the most recent version of cinebench (15). I got around %30 less performance than some tests in non ideal situations (with other processes running for example), scoring around 700 as opposed to the 900-1000 that other users report with ideal conditions.