IGNORED

Building my HTPC - Concerns about the Sound Card selection

Elini

Hello Guys,

I am about to order some parts to start building a HTPC with a Streacom FC9 fan-less case but before I spend lots of money on the parts, I thought I can consult with you guys here to make sure I'm on the right track. Many thanks in advanced for your help.

I am using a Synology NAS where I stored my high resolution files (mainly FLAC) and I also have a Rotel RA-1570 integrated amplifier which has got a PC-USB input supporting High res audio files.

My main purpose of building this HTPC is for playing back high resolution audio files from my NAS (and occasionally video too). I also want to have a nice and responsive interface (something like the XBMC) that I can also control by an android app.

I am thinking of buying the Gigabyte "GA-H97M-D3H" which comes with integrated "Realtek® ALC892 codec".

My question is, is there a way to get a bit-perfect and low noise output into the amplifier with the current set up or do I need a sound card? probably something supporting ASIO?

Also can I just use the USB cable from PC to Amplifier? or should I use the SPDIF output of the sound card? what's the best way to achieve the best sound quality with my amp?

My budget is limited for under 200$ for a sound card.

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hello Guys,

I am about to order some parts to start building a HTPC with a Streacom FC9 fan-less case but before I spend lots of money on the parts, I thought I can consult with you guys here to make sure I'm on the right track. Many thanks in advanced for your help.

I am using a Synology NAS where I stored my high resolution files (mainly FLAC) and I also have a Rotel RA-1570 integrated amplifier which has got a PC-USB input supporting High res audio files.

My main purpose of building this HTPC is for playing back high resolution audio files from my NAS (and occasionally video too). I also want to have a nice and responsive interface (something like the XBMC) that I can also control by an android app.

I am thinking of buying the Gigabyte "GA-H97M-D3H" which comes with integrated "Realtek® ALC892 codec".

My question is, is there a way to get a bit-perfect and low noise output into the amplifier with the current set up or do I need a sound card? probably something supporting ASIO?

Also can I just use the USB cable from PC to Amplifier? or should I use the SPDIF output of the sound card? what's the best way to achieve the best sound quality with my amp?

My budget is limited for under 200$ for a sound card.

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

the usb on your avr is only for flash drives..you can't hook pc directly to it....forget the soundcard, with your limited budget, get an ifi nano

the usb on your avr is only for flash drives..you can't hook pc directly to it....forget the soundcard, with your limited budget, get an ifi nano

Thanks Mike for your post. The USB at the front is as you mentioned for flash drives but the PC-USB at the back of the integrated amplifier is designed for playing high resolution files from the PC. I have already connected my laptop to it and I can play any high resolution music using that PC-USB input. I just want to see what would be the best way to have a bit-perfect digital output from the PC and to the amplifier. Either the USB out or SPDIF out of the laptop and into the amp.

Incorrect ... I think you are mistaking the Rotel RA-1570 (that the OP says he has) with the RSP-1570 which is a AV Processor and only supports flash drives.

The RA-1570 has a full USB DAC built in.

To the OP:

Hello Guys

Will a reply from a "gal" be okay too??

The USB connection to the amplifier is the obvious choice. Using the correct software correctly setup (J.River would be the usual recommendation on this site but alternatives exist including Foobar and others more complicated to setup) this will be bit-perfect.

No additional sound card is required in this situation.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Incorrect ... I think you are mistaking the Rotel RA-1570 (that the OP says he has) with the RSP-1570 which is a AV Processor and only supports flash drives.

The RA-1570 has a full USB DAC built in.

To the OP:

Will a reply from a "gal" be okay too??

Sure, thanks for the reply.

I have tried Jriver with WASAPI mode using my old laptop but still the sound quality less than what I expected it to be.

Hopefully it will be better with my new HTPC but that'll take some time to build. Until then, I will happily enjoy my vinyl collection ;)

Borrow a good USB DAC from someone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Borrow a good USB DAC from someone...

Erm ... with the Rotel RA1570 the OP has a USB DAC and quite a good one!!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Well...OP stated they were not impressed with fidelity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Erm ... with the Rotel RA1570 the OP has a USB DAC and quite a good one!!

Is the USB implementation of that Rotel up to par with the DAC quality (Eloise)? If not, one might consider putting a good USB-SPDIF converter in between...

Also, if OP is considering Gigabyte mobo anyway, pick one with USB DAC-UP technology...

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System