IGNORED

DAC-ing Hugo with Suitable Cables

DAC-ing Hugo with Suitable Cables

hello everyone,

nearing this season of giving, thinking Hugo may appreciate some higher-end cable-livery that will result in better sounding music.

considering:

1) USB cable (MBP/iPad) + toslink cable (CD player), or

2) USB cable (MBP/iPad) + coaxial cable (CD player).

a) seeking: relevant experiences/feedback/advice please.

b) also seeking: guidance on appropriate/specific cables (@USD100 apiece would be a good place to start).

c) not seeking: sermon on why/how cables do/should not make a difference to digital playback chain >> because will listen before handing over cash (hard-earned).

TQ x 2.

I would be very careful using the HD USB Cable. The product is actually a tremendous overpriced piece of garbage. My HD USB port completely broke off the board. Chord and Bluebird Music the are refusing to warranty. So I have ended up with a 2500.00 book end.

Just and FYI I used silver dragon cables from Moon Audio. If you need any cables give me a shout, but if I was you I would be looking to sell the unit while it is still in one piece.

As a side note I spoke to the repair site and they stated that the port breaks all the time and now Chord is trying to blame the consumer.

Run away from this product.

hi smalwells,

understand your anger regarding damaged Hugo. still, am curious, have some questions:

1. on the “Chord Electronics Warranty Claim” thread, you stated “...sent me to my local dealer who refused to help, since he did not sell it to me."

yours a second-hand unit?

2. how old is your damaged Hugo? what is the first digit of the serial number?

3. what actually happened?

(mishap occurred while inserting the usb cable or removing the cable?)

4. was the fitment of the aftermarket cable too tight or too loose?

5. any prior problems with the two stock Chord micro USB >> usb A cables?

6. you also stated that "no cable will fit the toslink and coax port". you don't have Chord’s complimentary toslink and coaxial cables that came with Hugo?

if your answer to Q1 is yes, and you do not have the cables mentioned in Q5 and Q6, check with whomever sold Hugo to you. also consider the possibility that you may have bought a pre-damaged unit (as in dropped/mishandled by original/previous owner)?

7. "As a side note I spoke to the repair site and they stated that the port breaks all the time and now Chord is trying to blame the consumer.”

is this an official quote from Chord?

8. quote: "It just so happens I have been contacted and they are going to warranty the product now. Will keep everyone up to date on what happens next. The product is excellent and I do have the one with the wider openings, but not the one that has the updated HD USB solder. Cable I was using was the Silver Dragon Micro USB from Moon Audio. Steve at The Service Department will be handling the warranty repair, amazing customer service on his end.”

if Chord honours a 2nd party warranty, and repairs the unit satisfactorily, consider yourself fortunate. afaik, not many hi-fi/computer/smartphone companies would repair a damaged second-hand unit.

if so, do the right thing and please post accordingly.

it will serve as a reference for all Hugo owners should we run into a similar issue.

all the best with your warranty claim and TIA.

not to defend anybody but how many people in this hobby use stock cables? not many most of use rely on aftermarket cables.

as far as i know and authorized dealer should help a product under warranty as long as the owner has the original paperwork. do dealers loose money for sending back a product to be service under warranty? do to my work i move a lot so if i bought something in california and move to new york it make sense to find an authorized dealer in the area to deal with a return or warranty issues. am i wrong to think that way?

hi maelob,

"how many people in this hobby use stock cables?"

don’t know. but there are debates on whether cables make a difference at all. so, apparently, some do.

me: using stock for now. looking for a better sounding/reliable micro USB >> usb A cable. use Hugo on-the-go + at home. thinking cable that does not require adaptor is best. avoid stress on smallish port + reduce risk of user “errors" during insertion and withdrawal.

no argument that dealer should help out if product is bought new and paperwork shows it is under warranty issued to you.

don’t know if dealers lose money. but surely processing claims will take some effort and time. good dealer would make this “investment” on goodwill basis, make good impression. which is good re: future prospective selling/marketing + PR.

many types of warranties in many markets. different terms and conditions. sometimes, one-for-one exchange, no questions asked. others, warranty only for main product components or for specified use. some international (brand level), some local (distributor level) some outlet-specific (grey market).

besides Hugo, also have canon camera, apple MBP and samsung smartphone. afaik, warranties for these devices are for buyers who bought new only, and non-transferable.

anyway, always best to personally visit store or email online dealer to consult/discuss if things go awry. why? they have done your business, earned money. if they want more, logically, they should be as helpful as necessary. if they cannot assist, chances are they stand to lose a customer and “gain" a bad rep.

now, if it were me having an issue with Hugo bought brand new under warranty, would escalate like this:

visit dealer >> call/email distributor >> call/email manufacturer >> post issue on internet forums where manufacturer reads/posts >> post on manufacturer’s facebook.

if it were me having a problem with Hugo bought second-hand, would start with seller and read/verify warranty first.

here, smallwels posted:

“The product is actually a tremendous overpriced piece of garbage.”

“Chord and Bluebird are refusing to warranty."

“...if I was you I would be looking to sell the unit while it is still in one piece.”

“I spoke to the repair site and they stated that the port breaks all the time and now Chord is trying to blame the consumer.”

only to state in another thread later:

"The product is excellent and I do have the one with the wider openings, but not the one that has the updated HD USB solder. Steve at The Service Department will be handling the warranty repair, amazing customer service on his end."

but, note that 2 key facts are missing from the story. facts that would be useful to all readers on CA, especially Hugo owners:

1. is this a second-hand unit? if yes, possibility exists that smallwels could have acquired a pre-damaged unit… as in mishandled by previous owner and/or delivery party. that’s the fundamental risk of buying used.

2. how did using an aftermarket cable cause the Hugo board to break? would be good to share so that others can avoid a similar mishap.

your final question:

yes, it is correct to seek help from authorised dealer re: warranty if one moves from one place to another. if no help is forthcoming, then go distributor and/or manufacturer.

responsible manufacturers know how to act/react responsibly.