IGNORED

Finding the best source for my setup

Tejo

Hey guys,

Since I am new here and this is my first post I hope you bear with me. I have been reading this forum many times and figured I should finally register and get some advice and hopefully also contribute to something.

In my quest of finding out what I could do to improve the sound quality of my system I have been reading and googling a lot this weekend.

At first I was almost confident it would be Amarra Symphony 3 with IRC and Amarra SQ. My living room is open planned, lots of windows and tiled floor. This is where I have my setup, even though I know it is not the best room in acoustic sense. This is why I was tempted in reducing the negative effects with digital room correction.

But then I found out about Auralic Aries, so I started to read everything I could find. Even though it was a lot of great info by you guys (thanks!) it kind of only made me less certain on where to go next.

Let me start with my setup:

Mac Mini (Non modified i7 from 2011 with 2xSSD) –> USB cable -> MSB The Analogue DAC (with upgraded power base) –> RCA cables -> Nagra VPA –> Marten Django XL

I use WiMP HiFi on the Mac Mini often on AirPlay (via AirServer) and I have 1000+ albums in iTunes from CD Quality to DSD played with the help of Amarra or Audirvana. I guess that I should add that the Mac Mini also doubles as a media central a couple of times a week.

A few scenarios:

1. Get a Auralic Aries and keep the rest as it is

2. Upgrade my Mac Mini with linear PSU (or just get something new like CAPS?) and also get Amarra Symphony 3 with IRC or similar.

3. Get that new "MSB Network Renderer" for my DAC and use the Mac Mini as a server (?)

4. Something else entirely or partially

I will be really happy for just about any feedback. Everything from hunches to expert knowledge.

Your system looks pretty fantastic on paper. So you'll probably get the most bang for the buck from Amarra with IRC for digital room correction. However, that's very difficult to know for sure. Since you're a Mac guy, you probably own an iPhone. Have you tried purchasing AudioTools and then playing some pink noise and measuring the sound with AudioTools Real-Time Analyzer? How uneven is the bass? Or just play a chromatic scale, do you notice the bass being uneven? If you do, you're better off just getting Amarra with IRC alone to fix the room acoustics/speaker placement issues first. Keep in mind, you'll still need to buy a calibrated microphone on top of the Amarra IRC suite.

Hi Tejo,

Since you have the MSB I would try to get an audition of the LAN input module first.

I have been hoping to hear that thing at a dealer as it seems ideal on paper. I2S pro, ethernet ( bypass USB, bypass SPDIF) clocked by the DAC master, handle DSD and PCM, use a NAS or computer as DLNA server, an iPad as controller.

Use JRiver on the Mac as the DLNA server. I have tried Amarra with IRC and was not impressed. You are better off using pillows, rugs, curtains, bass traps, speaker placement, etc. to tame any room frequencies rather than the clipping and subsequent digital volume (i.e. destroying bits) of Amarra IRC.

Recent listening comparison between JRiver and Amarra (which has been my go to playback for years due to the sound ) resulted in a draw. And with stability, ease of use and functionality Amarra is left in the dust!

Cheers

Thank you guys!

So none of you suggest I should go with the streamer option? Auralic Aries sounds nice on paper, but I have not auditioned or even heard it myself.

If I use "MSB Network Renderer" then Amarra would not even be used, since the Mac Mini works strictly as a server? Would streaming from WiMP HiFi still work smoothly? And will the Mac Minis shortcomings in sound quality not be noticeable?

I can also consider some Acoustic treatment as long as it looks good enough (or as little as possible)

Thank you guys!

So none of you suggest I should go with the streamer option? Auralic Aries sounds nice on paper, but I have not auditioned or even heard it myself.

If I use "MSB Network Renderer" then Amarra would not even be used, since the Mac Mini works strictly as a server? Would streaming from WiMP HiFi still work smoothly? And will the Mac Minis shortcomings in sound quality not be noticeable?

I can also consider some Acoustic treatment as long as it looks good enough (or as little as possible)

The Aries transports/delivers music by ethernet or wireless from a remote location to a music system (sure it might do more but in esssence, this is what the Aries does). Think Squeezebox with DSD capability (although the Touch can do DOP). From your description the mini is already at the music system. So unless you want to relocate the mini, the Aries does not offer any other capabilities.

I am not familiar with your equipment but to improve the sound: 1) Improve the DAC, 2) Clean up your power supplies 3) room correction.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Hey guys,

Since I am new here and this is my first post I hope you bear with me. I have been reading this forum many times and figured I should finally register and get some advice and hopefully also contribute to something.

In my quest of finding out what I could do to improve the sound quality of my system I have been reading and googling a lot this weekend.

At first I was almost confident it would be Amarra Symphony 3 with IRC and Amarra SQ. My living room is open planned, lots of windows and tiled floor. This is where I have my setup, even though I know it is not the best room in acoustic sense. This is why I was tempted in reducing the negative effects with digital room correction.

But then I found out about Auralic Aries, so I started to read everything I could find. Even though it was a lot of great info by you guys (thanks!) it kind of only made me less certain on where to go next.

Let me start with my setup:

Mac Mini (Non modified i7 from 2011 with 2xSSD) –> USB cable -> MSB The Analogue DAC (with upgraded power base) –> RCA cables -> Nagra VPA –> Marten Django XL

I use WiMP HiFi on the Mac Mini often on AirPlay (via AirServer) and I have 1000+ albums in iTunes from CD Quality to DSD played with the help of Amarra or Audirvana. I guess that I should add that the Mac Mini also doubles as a media central a couple of times a week.

A few scenarios:

1. Get a Auralic Aries and keep the rest as it is

2. Upgrade my Mac Mini with linear PSU (or just get something new like CAPS?) and also get Amarra Symphony 3 with IRC or similar.

3. Get that new "MSB Network Renderer" for my DAC and use the Mac Mini as a server (?)

4. Something else entirely or partially

I will be really happy for just about any feedback. Everything from hunches to expert knowledge.

I am a big MSB fan and have had extensive experience with the Analog and own a Diamond Plus and am really looking forward to their new Network Renderer. I would ask for one to try as "if" it is what they have been promising it will be the way to go, IMHO. Their UMT+ a bust in my opinion as a "renderer" led to complaints from me and others for them to come up with a real renderer solution. I am not a big fan of a Mac source, but that is a different issue and of no consequence "if" the renderer does what it is "supposed to do".

The Analog is my favorite DAC for the $$. I would definitely try the renderer if and when it becomes available. Of course, there is no timeline for my system and I am not even sure it is currently available for your Analog despite being advertised. I would also get their new USB module for trial and compare one to the other.

The Aries transports/delivers music by ethernet or wireless from a remote location to a music system (sure it might do more but in esssence, this is what the Aries does). Think Squeezebox with DSD capability (although the Touch can do DOP). From your description the mini is already at the music system. So unless you want to relocate the mini, the Aries does not offer any other capabilities.

I am not familiar with your equipment but to improve the sound: 1) Improve the DAC, 2) Clean up your power supplies 3) room correction.

When looking at the Aries I was hoping, and interpreting, that it would improve the sound because ut was not limited by specs of the source. This was also why I was starting to look at upgrading my DAC with a network renderer.

Number 1

I think that, from what I know, I can't really upgrade from MSB Analogue DAC without spending a fortune. I also have the Chord Hugo for a smaller system and for portability but I like the sound of the MSB better.

Number 2

The MSB has it's own separate and upgraded power source and the Nagras are built like tanks. So the power supply to clean would be the Mac Mini for a quality linear. Or simply build a new system (I'm very familiar with customizing/building computers) with linear PSU and all things "CAPS" that I think would make any difference.

Number 3

Yeah I know. I should compromise more, but when everything looks just right you kind of wish that there would be a shortcut somewhere to better sound.

I am a big MSB fan and have had extensive experience with the Analog and own a Diamond Plus and am really looking forward to their new Network Renderer. I would ask for one to try as "if" it is what they have been promising it will be the way to go, IMHO. Their UMT+ a bust in my opinion as a "renderer" led to complaints from me and others for them to come up with a real renderer solution. I am not a big fan of a Mac source, but that is a different issue and of no consequence "if" the renderer does what it is "supposed to do".

The Analog is my favorite DAC for the $$. I would definitely try the renderer if and when it becomes available. Of course, there is no timeline for my system and I am not even sure it is currently available for your Analog despite being advertised. I would also get their new USB module for trial and compare one to the other.

I am more and more convinced that this is what I should do first and foremost. I have really good contact with my MSB dealer so I will ask immediately if he knows when I can audition it. And I have lots of faith in MSB, even though they tend to always be priced over what I would like to spend I have never been let down. Not even when I wanted to get something more affordable ...

When using this interface will the Mac Mini simply work as a server? So no more Audirvana or Amarra and just a good server option and player (like Jriver)? Am I understanding this correctly?

When looking at the Aries I was hoping, and interpreting, that it would improve the sound because ut was not limited by specs of the source. This was also why I was starting to look at upgrading my DAC with a network renderer.

Number 1

I think that, from what I know, I can't really upgrade from MSB Analogue DAC without spending a fortune. I also have the Chord Hugo for a smaller system and for portability but I like the sound of the MSB better.

Number 2

The MSB has it's own separate and upgraded power source and the Nagras are built like tanks. So the power supply to clean would be the Mac Mini for a quality linear. Or simply build a new system (I'm very familiar with customizing/building computers) with linear PSU and all things "CAPS" that I think would make any difference.

Number 3

Yeah I know. I should compromise more, but when everything looks just right you kind of wish that there would be a shortcut somewhere to better sound.

I am more and more convinced that this is what I should do first and foremost. I have really good contact with my MSB dealer so I will ask immediately if he knows when I can audition it. And I have lots of faith in MSB, even though they tend to always be priced over what I would like to spend I have never been let down. Not even when I wanted to get something more affordable ...

When using this interface will the Mac Mini simply work as a server? So no more Audirvana or Amarra and just a good server option and player (like Jriver)? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes JRiver will work and from what I understand and is supposed to support gapless which NEVER happened with the UMT+ (despite "we are working on it") so don't have so much faith yet. So if the streamer module works as claimed and sounds as claimed it could be big. Their new quad DSD USB input would be the other thing to compare and while they claim it is better than their current USB module I am not sure if that is the case other than quad DSD and direct DSD (no DoP required) capabilities.