IGNORED

Best headphones for gaming/podcasts/video under $120

I recently did a lot of research on picking out a new gaming headset. After awhile I narrowed down what headset I'd like to get under $120 down to these three:

PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset

HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset

Skullcandy SLYR Gaming Headset

But then through the research, I discovered the world of audiophiles, and now I want to join.

Picking out what pair of headphones to get is difficult for a newbie like me since there are so many options and many people reviewing/discussing specific headphones only talk about music, but not about gaming. Also with this week being Black Friday/ Cyber Monday there is potential for there to be a good deal on headphones, so I'm in a haste to figure out what to get.

So I need help picking out the best headphones mainly for gaming/podcasts/video watching for under $120, while keeping the following things in mind:

- I want a closed back

- Needs to be capable of a wired connection ( No solely wireless headphones )

- Needs to connect to my PS4, PC, and tablet somehow

- I don't care about surround sound atm

- Only using my motherboard's on board audio atm

- The best audio I've experienced is from a PX22 Turtle Beach Headset, I need help

- I don't know if this is good for gaming but I like the idea of true sound reproduction, something like what the M40x Headphones do based off what I've read.

Any help/recommendations would be really really really appreciated!

Connection to PC and tablet, no problem... but what kind of connections does your PS4 have? Is it usb and hdmi only? Or is there a mini-phono connection?

For this specific question, involving the many options for gaming, you may need to check out head-fi.org. And there

is a long-running thread there "Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide." Will have oodles of discussions, low and high price, from gamers.

The M40x headphones are reasonable, though not as often mentioned versus their bigger more expensive kin, the M50x. I've got an M50 and it is a good entry point for sound, but is not going to have much sense of space, unfortunately. I think you may be able to find the m50x in your price range. Maybe. And that would be a better first step. Also in your price bracket is the Sennheiser HD439 -- which you can sometimes find at Best Buy.

Again, it is key to figure out if there is a way to connect these to your PS4. If the console only has "digital out" then you'll need some kind of DAC to convert the signal -- and such is probably built into gaming headsets.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I don't have a PS4 yet, but I know the controller has a 3.5mm headphone jack which allows you to hear all audio from your PS4. I'm now deciding between Sennheiser HD493 and Creative Aurvana Live!, which one would be best?

Also V-MODA Crossfade LP2 headphones are on sale for $99.00, have you heard of these, and would they be better than the previous two headphones mentioned?

The M50x is a bit out of my price range. I made an account on head-fi.org but since I'm new my posts need approved by moderators, so it'll be awhile. I'll be looking through Max Lust Envy's Guide, but there is a lot of pages and a good portion of it isn't useful to me, so any help on this forum would be really appreciated!

m50x, sennheiser amperior,sennheiser hd25 sp crative aurvana live, vmoda xs. shure 840, any of those have great reviews on head fi and shop around for black friday deals. also check used market especially on amazon and heafi forums. i sold some vmoda xs for 120 and beyerdynamic t51 for 160. check happy hunting

m50x, sennheiser amperior,sennheiser hd25 sp crative aurvana live, vmoda xs. shure 840, any of those have great reviews on head fi and shop around for black friday deals. also check used market especially on amazon and heafi forums. i sold some vmoda xs for 120 and beyerdynamic t51 for 160. check happy hunting

Over on head-fi the Creative Aurivana Live gets alot of praise and they are on a black friday deal right now for $50. You can sell them used for that much should you not like them.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the feedback so far. After going on the head-fi forums and doing a lot of research I think the NVX Audio XPT100 would be the best headphones for me to get, does anyone have any experiences/opinions on it?

from what i understand, the hyperx (as well as some other variations that are open back) are actually based on Beyerdynamic models, which frankly puts them far above anything else mentioned here in my opinion. the sennheisers may have the best chance of being on par, but i would bet my mmx300's (similar to what hyper x is based off of) that the creatives are nowhere in the same league. but, thats just my opinion as ive never heard the creatives....

one other thing i think is important is that the beyers and probably hyper x are built like german tanks. those suckers are made to last. mine have been abused for years, cord stepped on to rip them off my head, headphones stepped on, chair rolled over them, theyve traveled cross country with me as carry on, back and forth to work, etc. and theyre good as new. they have held up amazingly well.

and i believe you can make any headphone + mic work with the ps4/xbox controller with a $6 adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_1

meaning dont worry about that part, anything with a plug can work for that!

the m50x that are mentioned are also pretty good, but to me they are a little too musical. to me they sound a lot bassier, warmer sounding. but that could just be my setup. they also dont come with a mic. great for music though.

Those HyperX are one of Takstar PRO 80 clones. The design is really strongly inspired by Beyerdynamic, but the drivers originate from Takstar Guangdong Takstar Electronic Co., Ltd..

I could test PRO 80 and HI 2050 models of Takstar some time ago and directly compare them with some other headphones. PRO 80 are the best closed headphones in the price range below 100 EUR I had opportunity to try. If I had to choose for example between Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and Takstar PRO 80, my choice would be Takstar. They sound on the darker side and they can really benefit from good quality DAC and headamp, preferably a brighter one. The quality of drivers is so good that it is really no nonsense to connect them to a higher quality DAC/headamp.

Here is Takstar thread from head-fi: The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500