IGNORED

iFi Micro - determining optimum settings

Am auditioning the iFi Micro DAC but have yet to determine its optimum settings. For instance I've read 3 different reviews, each of which suggest a different filter setting for optimum sound! There's also power mode, IEmatch, as well as XBassand 3D switches.

For serious listening I usually pair with my HiFi man 400i's.

Can any experienced iFi users weigh in with their preferences?

Also, as a newcomer to the world of USB DAC's, I am very interested in finding the best way to conduct a listening test to highlite the differences (if any) between audio coming directly from the headphone out on my iMac, and thru the iFi Micro. Pretty difficult to do a proper AB test!

Also choice of music is important...

Suggestions welcome....

Am auditioning the iFi Micro DAC but have yet to determine its optimum settings. For instance I've read 3 different reviews, each of which suggest a different filter setting for optimum sound! There's also power mode, IEmatch, as well as XBassand 3D switches.

For serious listening I usually pair with my HiFi man 400i's.

Can any experienced iFi users weigh in with their preferences?

Also, as a newcomer to the world of USB DAC's, I am very interested in finding the best way to conduct a listening test to highlite the differences (if any) between audio coming directly from the headphone out on my iMac, and thru the iFi Micro. Pretty difficult to do a proper AB test!

Also choice of music is important...

Suggestions welcome....

I'll be happy to share my settings for the HE-500's, similar to your 400i's but a bit less efficient, I believe:

3D = On (I just think it sounds nice)

XBass = On (Same)

Filter = For PCM, "Bit Perfect" or "Minimum", if you hear artifacting with "Bit Perfect". For DSD, "Standard"

Power Mode = "Normal" (for more efficient headphones, like your 400i's, "Eco" may be plenty)

IEM Match = "Off"

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I'll be happy to share my settings for the HE-500's, similar to your 400i's but a bit less efficient, I believe:

3D = On (I just think it sounds nice)

XBass = On (Same)

Filter = For PCM, "Bit Perfect" or "Minimum", if you hear artifacting with "Bit Perfect". For DSD, "Standard"

Power Mode = "Normal" (for more efficient headphones, like your 400i's, "Eco" may be plenty)

IEM Match = "Off"

same with my HE-560.

even prefer that 3D and Xbass stay on with my UM3X and 4.AiS IEMs.

(of course: Amp setting at Eco and "Ultra" Sensitivity for those IEMs.)

The difference should be hugely obvious, the improvement over the built in jack should be tremendous. The main thing is to make sure you are using playback software that can fully exploit the dac. Just using iTunes won't get it done. I think at the very least you should be running Bitperfect behind iTunes ( I dont have macs, so I can't help you with the software configuration)

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open