IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v4 Introduction

I'm looking forward to reading more about these designs. I'm especially curious about your current choice of MB.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Chris - can I suggest a slight variation to your naming - for example it might be useful for some if you would refer to a CAPS v4-1 Pipeline.

Okay I admit it's a selfish request as I always had to look up the names of the CAPSv3 even though I knew I was wanting to refer to a "level 1" CAPS I had to check it was a CAPS v3 Carbon.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Why associate a single, specific playback software product with the CAPS build? I would expect the software player selection to be wholly independent of the hardware selection process, unlike (potentially) the OS.

Because the CAPS concept is (to my mind) a complete hardware AND software solution.

I agree that an alternative CAPS running a variant of Linux would be interesting that would be in addition to the 4 models rather than tacking on to the existing CAPS (again IMO).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Maybe there is something hidden in Windows 8.1 pro and the regular version that's of better sound quality?

Apart from bitlocker, remote desktop access, and domain joining capability (which I'm sure every house has Windows Server running), regular Windows 8.1 on its own should be adequate for the task. For the price difference between the two (2.6 times), a 3rd party VNC app would be an easy justification to stick with the 'regular' version and save the change.

8.1 is a toxic version anyway, Windows 10 may offer some improvement in less annoyances factor and is due in 2015, not that far away.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@Chris, suggestion for CAPS v5 and sponsoring: crowd funding!

Reading that this has all been sponsored by JRiver who, as I found out recently, have had the unbelievable nerve to build in a intermittently recurring "JPlay is a hoax" warning (which can't be loaded on my W2012R2 server because there is no browser installed and thus hangs with an error message that I have to click away first before I can start playback) has me worried. Especially now you mention that: "there are other applications available that I consider a bit more fringe at this moment in time." Would JPlay be such a "fringe application"?

And Windows 8.1 Pro? Most people have already moved on to Windows Server 2012 R2 by now, with Audiophile Optimizer. Probably "fringe" too, bits are, after all, only bits according to JRiver right?

Well at least your apparent escape to let the community make the designs possibly more objective is brilliant... "I'll leave it to the CA Community to use and tweak those applications and share results with everyone." Yeah thanks for that, like this who needs CAPS anymore, anyway...

Because the CAPS concept is (to my mind) a complete hardware AND software solution.

I agree that an alternative CAPS running a variant of Linux would be interesting that would be in addition to the 4 models rather than tacking on to the existing CAPS (again IMO).

Assuming Windows is the OS, I was mostly wondering whether there were any specific hardware choices made that suite one player over another.

To me the most interesting part is the linear power supply for CAPS v4 Pipeline. I've been debating whether to upgrade my CAPS v3 Carbon with battery or linear power supply for a while but using a dedicated power conditioner for the SMPS seems to be okay for now. Can't wait to read the new articles. I wonder if most people are going to upgrade right away or if it'll be like smartphones where people skip a generation for upgrades...

And Windows 8.1 Pro? Most people have already moved on to Windows Server 2012 R2 by now, with Audiophile Optimizer. Probably "fringe" too, bits are, after all, only bits according to JRiver right?

If you think about it, clearly not true. Just a very small subset of audiophiles. Most people don't want the expense or hassle of switching to WS 2012.

We often confuse on this site something that is very popular among early adopter audiophiles - like many participants here - with the rest of the audiophile community. And let's not even consider those just getting into computer audio who come across this site.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Chris-

When are you going to start revealing the setups? Will it be once a week like last time (AFAIR)?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I dont think everyone quite gets where music delivery is going...

It's going Streaming SERVICES people!!!\\

Their aint no going back...

So How does CAPS 4 fit in with streaming services?

We need a small silent CAPS renderer running Linux and we need to be able to be shown how to set this up with all the streaming services built in..

Spotify

Pandora

Tidal

Soundcloud

should just about do it..

(and maybe HQplayer upsampling these services or embedded delivering the odd difficult to source or "special" recording DSD/PCM track we might have)

That is *all* we need

We don;t need Jriver (no disrespect). We don't need massive big servers. And we definitely *don;t* need Windows servers!!!

Geeeezz Am I missing something here?

Is this like back to a 20C "future"?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

So I wish someone could just rip the guts out of a Sonos Zone player, unbrick it, mod all the CAPS4 like hardware into it...maybe even load on a different version of Linux, , find a Spotify connect and Pandora and Tidal app to load on as well.. but still keep it syncing with Sonosmesh... but allow it to play out dsd/24bit and be an NAA.... Kinda like a "Sonos" version of the Sonore MiniServer (rather than it using LMS).. with all the CAPS4 hardware built in.. LOL that would just about do it!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Horses for courses people! This article is about Chris' recommendations for new CAPS computer builds--and based on Windows.

If you want to build or purchase different hardware/software solutions to handle your music playback and library management, then by all means do so--and start or join a discussionn thread about it. Linux, OS X, embedded SoC (system on chip), Aeries, Sonos, Squeezebox, renderers, etc.--the possibilities are endless. But complaining in this thread about how Chris' new CAPS designs are not meeting your desires for something else seems to me to be a pointless distraction.

Stop this project right now. I am perfectly happy with my V.3 Zuma outfit and do not want to be tempted to purchase something better.

My only gripe is that waking-up the Zuma wiith the JRiver Ipad app is sometimes problematical: I am often required to go over and push the button on the unit! What a nightmare.

Signed,

A. Troglodyte

Horses for courses people! This article is about Chris' recommendations for new CAPS computer builds--and based on Windows.

If you want to build or purchase different hardware/software solutions to handle your music playback and library management, then by all means do so--and start or join a discussionn thread about it. Linux, OS X, embedded SoC (system on chip), Aeries, Sonos, Squeezebox, renderers, etc.--the possibilities are endless. But complaining in this thread about how Chris' new CAPS designs are not meeting your desires for something else seems to me to be a pointless distraction.

Sure. But the problem is nobody in the industry wants to do this. It's all about software. Not hardware. Always has been. Hardware is the easy bit. JRiver is stuck in DLNA. And DLNA is a dog's breakfast.

What a lot of the responders are describing is something very much like the AURLiC ARIES which would be a project beyond most home builders.

Sure. The problem is Aurlic (like everyone else) continue to ignore the software. And pretty much the only half decent software solution (Sonos) continue to ignore the hardware (so they can't provide the audiophile quality we want) and now Sonos also seem to be in a tiff/taff with the biggest streaming provider (spotify). So round and round in circles we go.. :)

Wow.....you sure can get your knickers in a twist....

As much as I like streaming services...excepting tidal (Which we dont get)....the sound quality of these are Steve Job quality.

Thanks Chris, looking forward to your guide with much anticipation.

I dont think everyone quite gets where music delivery is going...

It's going Streaming SERVICES people!!!\\

Their aint no going back...

So How does CAPS 4 fit in with streaming services?

We need a small silent CAPS renderer running Linux and we need to be able to be shown how to set this up with all the streaming services built in..

Spotify

Pandora

Tidal

Soundcloud

should just about do it..

(and maybe HQplayer upsampling these services or embedded delivering the odd difficult to source or "special" recording DSD/PCM track we might have)

That is *all* we need

We don;t need Jriver (no disrespect). We don't need massive big servers. And we definitely *don;t* need Windows servers!!!

Geeeezz Am I missing something here?

Is this like back to a 20C "future"?

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2