IGNORED

80% of ALL new music is currently discovered on youtube

Andrew Scheps makes the point in the following (excellent) talk

that 80% of all new music is now discovered on youtube, which I guess is a generational thing. Probably true for anyone under 20.

Just wondering, how can you tell what actual audio codec and sampling rate, and transcoding method if any were used on any youtube video you come across?

For instance, this uploaded(official?) of Pink Floyd's DSOTM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVlmTClHPQ

Sounds great to my untrained ears but...

Apparently it is a bit of a moving target, but at least as of 6/10/14, YouTube currently streams 192 Kbps AAC across the board. It's not mentioned what happens if the source file is uploaded at a lower rate (Does YouTube upconvert the audio or use a lower rate and/or different codec?).

[h=1]YouTube Audio Quality Bitrate Used For 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, And 1080p[/h]

For me, and I am not a youngster, the number still is probably 80%. I think it part of the social network thing as well. I don't take part in those. I have some friends younger than I and some of them have friends younger than them of course. So I sometimes find some new stuff on youtube and pass it on, those friends do the same. Some of the younger friends of friends will suggest things (half of which I care nothing for), and some of them get passed to me and some of those I do like. Same with my suggestions most aren't appreciated, but some are. End result is with two degrees of separation there are a group of people who pass around things they find musically that spans 30 or 40 years in our ages. It is something of a wider net than you could manage just by yourself.

Youtube or similar are simply the medium that makes it easy for that to happen. You see something you like and link it to others in a message or email. No different than it was finding a cool new LP in the record store, playing it for friends or them bringing their LP to play. In the modern case, via youtube, you can do that without direct physical presence, more rapidly, more often. You message someone, "Here take a look at this you might like it". Simple and easy and rapid.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Andrew Scheps makes the point in the following (excellent) talk

that 80% of all new music is now discovered on youtube, which I guess is a generational thing. Probably true for anyone under 20.

Just wondering, how can you tell what actual audio codec and sampling rate, and transcoding method if any were used on any youtube video you come across?

For instance, this uploaded(official?) of Pink Floyd's DSOTM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVlmTClHPQ

Sounds great to my untrained ears but...

According to Freemake Video Downloader, if you choose 1080P Video , the audio for this one is only 125kilobits .aac.

If you choose 720P Video the audio is then the maximum of 187 Kilobits .aac.

With Freemake Video Downloader the sweet spot for audio is always at 720P.

If you have a suitable video editing program you can download both versions , demultiplex the streams and create by re-multiplexing, a new 1080P video with 187 kilobits .aac audio. With a decent recording the improvement is quite obvious over 125 kilobits audio. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

i have to say i enjoy some of the classical and indie rock concerts on youtube- and for me some are totally listenable on my desktop set up. i dont really like to play the numbers game- i beleive some people get cought up on not been losless etc etc and end up not enjoying the music

have to say i enjoy some of the classical and indie rock concerts on youtube- and for me some are totally listenable on my desktop set up.

What is totally listenable on a desktop set up, may not always be worth a second play on the main system.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

What is totally listenable on a desktop set up, may not always be worth a second play on the main system.

But once "discovered" ( the topic of this thread ) it can be acquired and listened to in higher SQ format and equipment/environment.

My main routes are:

1) teenage daughter who has really good tastes in rock and pop ( but no interest currently in classical or jazz ). Of course her route to discovery are YouTube, Bandcamp, friends, radio....

2) the CA Album of the Evening thread. Thanks to Musicophile, Blake, oscarnr, and many others for their excellent suggestions. My favorite CA forum with never a bit of I'm-more-clever-than-you-are BS.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

But once "discovered" ( the topic of this thread ) it can be acquired and listened to in higher SQ format and equipment/environment.

Yes, but then if you don't live in the USA, you more often than not get messages like this !

This product is not currently available due to region restrictions.

AARGH !!!

P.S.

VEVO is better, as it has the latest industry releases.

when you google a song, Youtube links are usually the featured links. Recently saw a live performance of Ben Howard on Jools Holland purely by accident this way. My life is the better for it. My goodness. Then there's the rabbit hole of recommended links on the side of the video.

Yes, but then if you don't live in the USA, you more often than not get messages like this !

AARGH !!!

I spend most of the time in China, not the US. You can imagine what the restrictions are like here. (AARGH !!!)**2

Even with a VPN.

Thanks for the tip on VEVO. I will check it out.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

P.S.

OOPS! THIS PAGE IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION.

VEVO is working hard to make sure all of our videos are available worldwide.

In the meantime, watch your favorite music videos through VEVO on YouTube, and follow us on social media for updates!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

OOPS! THIS PAGE IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION.

VEVO is working hard to make sure all of our videos are available worldwide.

In the meantime, watch your favorite music videos through VEVO on YouTube, and follow us on social media for updates!

I don't have too many problems with that popping up in VEVO, just occasionally when checking artists via Youtube lists .

What pisses me off though, is after DL/watching a new music video release on VEVO such as very recent ones from Neil Diamond, I get an email from HDTracks advertising the new album is already available in 24/96 from them, only to get the unavailable in your region crap. HDTracks does however now let me DL from Au. quite a few older high res albums, but not the new releases that I want!

AARGH !!!

P.S.

I got a VPN service and am now free to download everything from HDTracks, Qobuz, Acoustic Sounds etc.....