IGNORED

PS3 CD Outputs 48kHz

After giving up on my buggy and practically useless Cambridge network player, I decided to pull out my CD collection and use a gaming console as my primary player. The only problem is my PS3 slim will only output 48kHz, according to my DacMagic.

I'm running an HDMI cable from my PS3 to my Television, then outputting audio via optical cable to the DacMagic. I've also wired the PS3 directly to the dac and it still outputs to 48kHz. I've also tried to disable 48Hz output in the settings of PS3, but that option is greyed out. Also, when I attempt to play CD audio the dad will quickly switch sampling frequencies for a split second, but then inevitable switch to 48kHz once the track starts playing.

Anyone else have a similar experience or any suggestions?

Let me know if this post should be on another board.

“Everyone knows rock n’ roll attained perfection in 1974; It’s a scientific fact.”

-Homer Simpson

Only certain PS3s play SACD. You should have a group of logos on the machine somewhere (see if theSACD logo is on there), or you could search the internet for details on your class of machine. I think the first 4 or 5 characters (usually letters) tell you the "family" your machine was made from.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Have you run through the PS3 audio setup and told it that your DAC is connected via TOSLink and capable of higher than 48?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm just trying to play regular CDs (wish I still had an SACD capable PS3). And yes I've run through the PS3 Audio setup indicating a TOSLink connection and using higher sampling rates.

I'm not trying to get the PS3 to play higher sampling rates, just the native sampling rate of of a CD at 44.1kHz.

“Everyone knows rock n’ roll attained perfection in 1974; It’s a scientific fact.”

-Homer Simpson

There are two places if I recall correctly where you set audio settings:

1) Settings > Music Settings > Output Frequency

- What sampling rates are selected here? As far as I know, the DacMagic series should support all the rates listed here.

2) Settings > Sound Settings > Audio Output Settings

- You mentioned you have optical digital specified here- what audio output formats do you have "checked" in this menu? The DacMagic only supports 2 channel LPCM signals, so if any other options are selected, it might be throwing off your DAC.

3) Are you using the Audio Multi-Output feature? Maybe try disabling that when experimenting directly connecting with the optical connector to see if that makes a difference.

Might be a good start to show/write what you have configured in these settings menus. Do you have any other devices you could use to test with the DAC? Also, if you were running optical from your TV to the DAC, some TV manufacturers will fix the optical out to 48kHz...but that doesn't explain why the PS3 wired direct to the DAC is still running 48kHz. When you say "wired direct", have you also unplugged the HDMI cable and only run the optical cable? Just some things to try out/get more info...

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

What's wrong with 48khz? You won't hear the difference between 48khz and any higher sample rates anyway. The sound floor may feel deeper, but the ear won't hear above 48khz. Not that I wanted to change this thread into a debate; nevertheless, quite often i find that when 192khz tracks are downsampled to 48khz they sound better.

What's wrong with 48khz?

The fact that CD contains 44.1kHz data. Outputting 48kHz means the PS3 changes the sampling rate before outputting data.

I found this AVSforum post from 2007. Maybe it still applies

I see that they have you choose between 48khz and 44.1/88.2/176.4khz, so the only way to force it to 44.1 is to uncheck 88.2 and 176.4 in the Sound Settings for HDMI. They really should add an option to choose one sampling rate just for CDs, so you could have a separate rate for SACDs.

PS3 CD music settings - AVS Forum

Claude

• 4 weeks later...