IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

14 minutes ago, left channel said:

@Johnseye have you tried to stream Tidal through the UAPP app? An app like that is necessary to get the most out of a V30 anyway.

I've been using Tidal direct from the V30 to headphones or from the headphone jack into my car.  I use Neutron for music stored on the phone itself.  I'll give UAPP a try, thanks for the recommendation.

If I can't connect to Tidal direct over cellular I'm not sure how UAPP will help that connection, but it's worth a shot.  And if it helps improve SQ over Neutron for local storage that would be a big win.

Thanks

@Johnseye it's worth trying UAPP just to determine if the problem is the Tidal app, or if it's another problem (which I'm just guessing could be the phone/account data settings, your carrier's service or policies, the Tidal network, or other frustrating issues).

And yes, some say the SQ of UAPP is an improvement over Neutron, or they have other reasons for preferring UAPP. It's a very powerful, versatile app, though the "U" for "USB" ought to change now that it works with both external and internal DACs.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

36 minutes ago, left channel said:

@Johnseye it's worth trying UAPP just to determine if the problem is the Tidal app, or if it's another problem (which I'm just guessing could be the phone/account data settings, your carrier's service or policies, the Tidal network, or other frustrating issues).

And yes, some say the SQ of UAPP is an improvement over Neutron, or they have other reasons for preferring UAPP. It's a very powerful, versatile app, though the "U" for "USB" ought to change now that it works with both external and internal DACs.

34 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Sounds a bit like a DNS issue with your cell provider unless you have another phone on the same provider that works?

If it were a DNS issue then it would effect other services like web browsing and Google Music.  It is specific to Tidal.  The carrier is Verizon so this would be widespread if it was due to them.

My guess is that it's related to the latest Android update for the LG V30 and some Tidal app code.  Again if it were just Android it would impact Google Music or other services.  

32 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

If it were a DNS issue then it would effect other services like web browsing and Google Music.  It is specific to Tidal.  The carrier is Verizon so this would be widespread if it was due to them.

No it could just be one DNS entry not getting updated on Verizon's DNS servers, a stale record.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 4:15 PM, Johnseye said:

I can no longer connect to Tidal over cellular at any streaming quality level.  Wireless is not a problem.  I hard wiped my phone, installed only Tidal, same issue.  I've had minor connectivity issues before, but nothing as bad as this.

I have the same issue here. I am using the LG G5, but for the last couple of days the streaming over cellular network does not work anymore. Using T-Mobile/telering in Austria.

UAPP doesn't work neither.

Would like to change the DNS, but for the mobile data connection it's not that easy. I could only test it outside the country or with a SIM from another provider.

Since I was not happy with the faulty apps from Quobuz, I gave Tidal another chance. But with this issue, I am disappointed from Tidal as well. I am really looking for a HIFI straming offer, but unfortunately both well known services are not satisfying.

A new issue with Tidal is that they have severely limited search results. If you search for Mozart for example and click on 'albums', you only get a handful of results out of possibly hundreds or thousands. On Spotify you are still able to scroll down and see as many as you wish.

48 minutes ago, Polyglot said:

A new issue with Tidal is that they have severely limited search results. If you search for Mozart for example and click on 'albums', you only get a handful of results out of possibly hundreds or thousands. On Spotify you are still able to scroll down and see as many as you wish.

I have found that the most realistic way to use Tidal's search function is to know the name, or approximate name, of the album and the album artist you are searching for. For example, searching for "Mozart Piano Concertos" yields only a fraction of what is available.

Searching "Mozart Piano Concertos Brendel" opens up his contribution to the Tidal database. Just typing "Mozart Piano Concertos" yields zero Brendel albums.

This makes random exploration of their database using a single concept (i.e., Mozart piano concertos) impossible. It's a terrible search function which seems to get worse with each iteration.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

14 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

I have found that the most realistic way to use Tidal's search function is to know the name, or approximate name, of the album and the album artist you are searching for. For example, searching for "Mozart Piano Concertos" yields only a fraction of what is available.

Searching "Mozart Piano Concertos Brendel" opens up his contribution to the Tidal database. Just typing "Mozart Piano Concertos" yields zero Brendel albums.

This makes random exploration of their database using a single concept (i.e., Mozart piano concertos) impossible. It's a terrible search function which seems to get worse with each iteration.

Discovery is only aspect of streaming that is more enjoyable than CDs. I like to enter terms like 'Haydn Sonata' or 'Dvorak Chamber' and discover unsuspected recordings. When Tidal limits the number of search results, it destroys this ability. What I'm presently doing is searching on Spotify and when I find something interesting, looking for the specific album on Tidal to listen to it.

Up until recently Tidal's search worked correctly. Having them remove features at will makes me fear that at any moment they'll cripple the service and prevent me from enjoying music the way I do. Makes me wish to return to CDs altogether and not take the risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Who can explain this. Same album - Tidal vs Spotify:

923856825_ScreenShot2018-08-06at4_18_59PM.thumb.jpg.6905d1265691823c5c07a0aa83aa37fc.jpg Tidal

103503542_ScreenShot2018-08-06at4_18_06PM.thumb.jpg.2909163ad549c738a9f4eb99e271f03c.jpg Spotify

Notice the next to useless track information in Tidal. Notice Spotify provides the necessary crucial track information.

I thought at first that it was a label issue, but Spotify shows that the label is providing the necessary track information.

More and more classical genre albums are appearing like this in Tidal.

Can anyone explain what is going on? I have submitted at least half-a-dozen tickets to Tidal over a six month period and not one album has changed. I get the usual "We are sorry..., we have submitted this to our technicians..." , blah, blah, blah reply.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

After thinking about this, I have just cancelled my subscription. I've had it.

Five years (pre-Jay Z) as a paying HiFi subscriber, I have watched the slow deterioration of what was once a promising service.

Enough.

@left channel Thank you for showing the Qobuz listing for the Paul Lewis album I had referenced. Along with the Spotify listing, it confirms that Tidal is truncating track information.

I am looking forward to the Qobuz USA launch in the fall, but in the meantime I have signed up for Spotify premium. The 360kbps bitrate is good enough for music exploration.

FWIW, when I unsubscribed to Tidal I gave them a detailed explanation of their shortcomings. I doubt that anyone at Tidal will care but I thought I would give it a shot.

3 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

@left channel That Qobuz track information is awesome. 

Regarding Tidal demographics, I am not sure who that is supposed to be. It isn't 20 year old hipsters. They simply don't care about bitrates.

The owners of Tidal are recording artists. They care mostly about artist compensation, but apparently do think quality bit rates — a preexisting feature of the service when they bought it — are important too.

Most Tidal users, not so much. About half are probably from the lead owners' own fan base. (Not hipsters. Hip-hop.) This is the source of our conflicting perceptions of the service, and why other companies have more of a financial interest in targeting CA members.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

-Tidal takes several minutes to load.  Very long to start songs (ethernet/downloaded)

-Running Tidal to my Oppo 105 player, can't adjust volume on Tidal desk (bottom right corner/speaker icon) when click on it, it opens track page with artist/song info.
Volume control on PC can't be adjusted. Force volume is grey.
-Works fine with PC speakers but volume goes all the way up when a new title starts.

Removed/installed.. same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can anyone help?

I'm getting crackling and dropouts playing Tidal MQA via Audirvana+ 3.2.8.  The same track Master quality via the Tidal macOS app plays fine.  So far I've only had this problem with MQA flac - all other bitrates fine on A+.

Am I doing something wrong in A+?  Maybe this should be in an Audirvana thread not Tidal?

Thanks,

Jas

• 4 months later...

I have not been to this forum in a long while. I now have a Marantz AV-7704, Oppo 103 and a subscription to Tidal Hi-Fi. I have an app called HEOS which is convienent but does not allow for the pass through of MQA quailty audio from Tidal. The app also does not display the full Tidal web site information whcih I can access if I use Bluetooth via my android phone and play it through the AV-7704. But no MQA that way either.

My question for the forum is how can I access the MQA content I am paying for and play it through the AV-7704? If I am in the wrong area please let me know where I should post this question. I am looking at a new PC and am not averse to purchasing something to allow me to access these files from PC to the Marantz. Please advise.