IGNORED

Esoteric K-03 and OS X Yosemite 10.10 garbled playback

Since I upgraded my OS X to Yosemite 10.10 on the MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012 with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3) laptop, I now have garbled and slow playback with static sound when playing files through USB to my Esoteric K-03. I deleted the Esoteric high speed USB driver, re-booted, and re-installed the driver. I still get the same staticky, slow, garbled playback within a couple of seconds. This occurs with Audirvana Plus 2 and using the Esoteric HR Audio Player and also through Spotify. This did not occur before upgrading to Yosemite. Suggestions? Thanks, Jim

Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack

Since I upgraded my OS X to Yosemite 10.10 on the MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012 with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3) laptop, I now have garbled and slow playback with static sound when playing files through USB to my Esoteric K-03. I deleted the Esoteric high speed USB driver, re-booted, and re-installed the driver. I still get the same staticky, slow, garbled playback within a couple of seconds. This occurs with Audirvana Plus 2 and using the Esoteric HR Audio Player and also through Spotify. This did not occur before upgrading to Yosemite. Suggestions? Thanks, Jim

The only possible way to make this work is to use the HS_1 setting. This does not allow the asynchronous clock capability so I am disappointed. Also tried the Esoteric HR Player with HS_1 and does not recognize the K-03. Only able to use the Esoteric HR player with HS_2 but then I get garbled playback. What happened with Yosemite and the Esoteric K-03 high speed drivers? What is the fix? Thanks, Jim

Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack

Have you reported this to Esoteric? They may need to patch their driver.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Have you reported this to Esoteric? They may need to patch their driver.

I exchanged emails with details to one of their folks and they are aware. No idea yet when will be resolved. In meantime it is temporarily not a big issue since can still play files with HS_1 setting and Audirvana and of course SACD and CDs. Will appreciate their correcting the USB driver though so I can get back to normal.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand Esoteric is still working on the USB Driver issue with Yosemite. Does anyone have an update or found a way to use the HS_2 setting without garbled sound?