I have the Tidal app running on my macbook pro retina but can't figure out how to send it to my Oppo BDP 105. I have JRiver and use it to wirelessly send my music file to the Oppo so I am set up for wireless connection to my Oppo. Just don't know how to get mac to send to Oppo without JRiver. Sorry for the dumb question. This computer audio revolution sure is making me feel like an old man!

AFAIK, the Oppo doesn't support Airplay, which is unfortunate as you would have been able to redirect the computer's sound to it playing anything, not just Tidal. I believe your only option for network streaming directly to the Oppo is via UPnP/DLNA and since Tidal doesn't support this and there are (as yet) no UPnP/DLNA media server applications, including JRiver, that can playback from Tidal directly, the UPnP/DLNA media server application will also need to support sound capture.

I'm not familiar with the latest versions of JRiver, but certainly there have been feature requests for it to implement sound capture streaming via UPnP/DLNA, for older versions. If this is still not possible to do with the latest versions of JRiver, then you are a bit stuck, because the only software that I know of that can do this runs on Windows: The Asset UPnP and the Stream What You Hear (SWYH) UPnP media servers.

There is a version of Asset UPnP available for the Mac, but its sound capture feature has not been implemented for the Mac version. It's possible that Boot Camp may work for either SWYH or Asset UPnP on your MacBook, so save you having to run Tidal on a Windows machine with one of these UPNP media servers.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I have the Tidal app running on my macbook pro retina but can't figure out how to send it to my Oppo BDP 105. I have JRiver and use it to wirelessly send my music file to the Oppo so I am set up for wireless connection to my Oppo. Just don't know how to get mac to send to Oppo without JRiver. Sorry for the dumb question. This computer audio revolution sure is making me feel like an old man!

I tried too. Pretty much the same. So, I use an Apple TV 3 and an app for windows called "Air Parrot" and sent to to the ATV via optical cable. Sounds pretty good and very convenient.

Robocentola,

From the sounds of it your situation is different to the OP, as it looks like you were using a Windows machine for playing Tidal. In fact you could have saved yourself the trouble of the indirect method of using Airplay with the AppleTV & Air Parrot and just used the free SWYH UPnP media server directly with the Oppo! Your Windows machine needs to be Vista or above, though.

With your method, the Soarsz just needs an ATV or Airport Express, but shouldn't need Air Parrot for the MacBook as AirPlay is built in to the latest versions of OSX.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Jmathers,

It's good to see JRiver now actually providing an audio driver to be used by the computer. Not quite the same as capturing the sound being made by the computer, since you have to manually set the computer to use the JRiver audio driver, but at least it should work with all sound producing applications. Are you certain that JRiver's WDM driver can be used to network stream the sound to a UPnP/DLNA supporting renderer like the Oppo and it's not just to get the sound to play through JRiver on the computer itself (eg with attached USB DAC)?

Unfortunately WDM drivers are Windows drivers (re Windows Driver Module), so its not going to help Soarsz. Do you know if the latest version of JRiver for the Mac has a similar driver for use with OSX?

-- Jo Cox

Hi Jmathers,

It's good to see JRiver now actually providing an audio driver to be used by the computer. Not quite the same as capturing the sound being made by the computer, since you have to manually set the computer to use the JRiver audio driver, but at least it should work with all sound producing applications. Are you certain that JRiver's WDM driver can be used to network stream the sound to a UPnP/DLNA supporting renderer like the Oppo and it's not just to get the sound to play through JRiver on the computer itself (eg with attached USB DAC)?

Unfortunately WDM drivers are Windows drivers (re Windows Driver Module), so its not going to help Soarsz. Do you know if the latest version of JRiver for the Mac has a similar driver for use with OSX?

I don't know if it works with networking or whether it will help the OP. It works for me on a PC with a USB Dac when streaming Tidal (and sounds better than piping sounds through the Windows audio stack). Not sure if the Mac version is able to do the same.

• 5 weeks later...

it looks like you were using a Windows machine for playing Tidal ... just used the free SWYH UPnP media server directly with the Oppo!

cebolla@: trying to reconcile this with the comment earlier in this thread about using Asset uPnP for this purpose. Looks like they both support "capture"... is there a reason you recommended Asset in one situation and SWYH in another?

FWIW, all things being equal, I'd be happy to support the illustrate guys as dbpower amp was my primary tool for constructing my CD library and I was quite happy with the results!

cebolla@: trying to reconcile this with the comment earlier in this thread about using Asset uPnP for this purpose. Looks like they both support "capture"... is there a reason you recommended Asset in one situation and SWYH in another?
The 'earlier' comment in the thread was supposed to be part of the same conversation, so same 'situation'. It actually mentioned both capture methods, without recommending one over the other. Mentioning just one of them in my second following comment wasn't meant to favour that particular appplication, but to highlight that by using a software capture method the additional hardware, suggested (between my comments) and apparently used by Robcentola in his own situation, wouldn't have been necessary.

Sorry for any confusion.

John

-- Jo Cox

• 8 months later...

By the way, the Oppo BDP105D now integrates Tidal both through the latest beta software and through the iPad app. It is really quite good although it makes me want the Roon iPad app with Tidal integration that much more!

Anyway, the Oppo upgrade gives you full Tidal capabilities from you crunch, presentation the same way as Oppo presents files on aNAS, but with a much better iPad interface (the usual Tidal front end).

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

That's great news, thank you for pointing this out. I hadn't realized there was a new beta firmware ;)

Release date: August 10, 2015

Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release

Main Version: BDP10X-79-0711B

Loader Version: 6U1000 or 7B1400 (BDP-103), 7B1400 (BDP-105, BDP-105D, BDP-103D)

Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105), MCU13D-01-0618 (BDP-103D), MCU15D-01-0930 (BDP-105D), DB10X 131030 (BDP-103D, 105D)

Special Notice:

1. Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

2. This Public Beta firmware is designed to work with new versions of Apple iOS and Android MediaControl applications, which added support for TIDAL Music Streaming. The Media Control V4.0 will be available in the App Store and the Google Play Store shortly.

Comparing to the current Official release version BDP10X-77-0827, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Added support for TIDAL Music Streaming. Requires use of OPPO MediaControl App v4.0 on your smartphone or tablet.

2. Improved subtitle support for user-created media.

3. Improved support for user-created WAV files with non-standard metadata tags.

4. Improved gapless playback for 176 / 88.2 kHz WAV files.

5. Resolved an issue with smearing or ghosting effects in Netflix.

6. Resolved an issue where AIFF file playback would result in white noise when headphones were connected to the BDP-105(D).

7. Resolved a bass management issue where the subwoofer would clip when 0 dB signals were sent to all channels when one speaker was set to small.

8. Resolved a frame rate conversion issue where 25 Hz and 50 Hz user-created media was converted to 60 Hz when TV System was set to Multi.

9. Added support for ARIB STD-B25 and ISDB fonts.

10. General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

The Truth Is Out There

• 2 weeks later...