IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

I don't even like that banner ad for SACD ripping. IMO, it's not a good look for a well respected forum.

Alex, I'm curious which banner ad you refer to? Is it a site specific advert or part of Google advertising?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Alex, I'm curious which banner ad you refer to? Is it a site specific advert or part of Google advertising?

Eloise

Hi Eloise

It appears to be site specific.

Kind Regards

Alex

FpWeg1.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

It appears to be site specific.

FpWeg1.jpg

Ahh ... I know the advert you mean now.

It's a fine line...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Liense agreement is result of patent rights.

I.e. you are patent owner. You conclude License agreement with hardware/software manufacturer for using the patent.

If patent already expiried, you lose right to it, you can't right conclude the agreement.

I don't say here about license agreement for musical content.

I think we're saying the same thing...

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Does anyone know when Sony's rights are up?

My guess, without making any examination or search at all, is that unless they wanted to give up on the technology completely, Sony and Philips would do what many large companies do: Continue to patent improvements to keep protection alive.

I have no idea when the basic silver disc patents expire. To me silver discs are pretty meaningless anyway. The content, for which the industry has copyrights that are now effectively forever in the US, is what's important.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was talking about the technology to produce a hardware device that can read an SACD. Once the patents expire, I don't think that it is possible to restrict what a manufacturer could choose to do with the information that is pulled off the disc, because they cannot be sued for patent infringement on the technology, and the restrictions to the technology are associated with the SACD manufacturers licence agreement, not specific patents or other limitations.

That is what I was asking. Is this essentially correct?

No. Patent is not exclusive of copyright. As part of copyright law in the US, it is generally illegal to circumvent copy protection measures, such as the hardware encryption used in all SACD players. It is also not correct to say that one can't restrict what manufacturers (or anyone else) can do with content, i.e., "the information that is pulled off the disc." That is still subject to copyright. Just because you have a computer that can read a disc with, e.g., Microsoft Word on it, doesn't mean you're free of Microsoft's licensing terms as copyright owner.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud,

I'm not talking about violating copyright on artwork. I'm talking about the technical limitations that Sony established as part of the licensing agreements to develop the hardware for sale to consumers.

I'm specifically talking about this in the context of personally using the music in a manner that is consistent with space shifting, which I understand has been ruled as acceptable and covered use under the AHRA.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make sure we are all helping the cause, remember that posting here "I'm in" doesn't count. Read the very beginning of this thread and be sure to sign up on Mr. Wicked's web page, I believe this is how he is officially counting support.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Just signed up for 2. Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

In for 1...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification