IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

Howdy,

As some of you know I've made SACD ripping available through a PS3. The process of finding a PS3 with the correct software is cumbersome to say the least. Bare with me, there is another option..

The internal PS3 Blu-Ray player can actually be connected to a standard IDE port. With the proper software to go along the Blu-Ray drive can be authenticated to your PC and you'll be able to rip SACD's from your desktop computer directly. Yes, it really could be as simple as connecting the drive to a USB port and start the ripping process. Sounds great, so what's the catch? There is significant work involved..

1. First we need a stable connection from the blu-ray drive to a USB port. There is actually a device (3K3Y Ripp3r | Rip your games) which in theory is really all we need.. In reality it's too unstable and to low of build quality to be useful (I know as I've ordered several). My personal preferred option is to develop a PCB myself which has the proper connector to convert the PS3 blu-ray drive connector to IDE and put all of that in a box that does IDE <-> USB. Something like:

70158712.jpg

2. The software that does the ripping process needs to authenticate the drive using the SACD authentication mechanism. I've already build/modified the emulator and I've tested the emulator with the Sony SACD authentication module, it works! Great so what's left? I still need to integrate all of that into SACD-Extract and make the process user-friendly.

Still interested? You can help me out by ordering (crowd funding?) a drive from me! I will supply you with an enclosure that contains a refurbished PS3 blu-ray player and a USB connection. I did some calculations and I need sell at least 150 drives to make this project viable. The price for a single drive will be 220 euro / dollar (excluding shipping costs).

If you're interested you can sign-up here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-BJkmS1TRVT1h3f0mIAqKRbRFqW-oNg0x3FBXKGoGaQ/edit

And watch registrations here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bJ6zSurHE069vWRk2OUTYjR_uTB2Yt_6KAUJDJ0dJjc/edit?usp=sharing

Details (payment, the look of the thing, specific parts, etc..) will follow, I first need to know if there is interest from the community..

fyi. It's not illegal for me/you to buy/sell a PS3 drive that's connected to a PC. It's also not illegal to distribute a modified SACD-Extract as it will not contain the Sony code that does the authentication. The Sony code is a separate module that you'll need to download yourself. I'll make the whole process easy, I promise!

Please spread the link to this CA post as I will not crosspost to other forums..

Cheers!

I want to make sure I understand correctly. If we buy one of these devices, we can connect it via USB to a computer, insert an SACD to the drive in the enclosure and rip an iso of the DSD file on the SACD to the PC (Obviously we'd have to load the proper software on the PC also.)?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I want to make sure I understand correctly. If we buy one of these devices, we can connect it via USB to a computer, insert an SACD to the drive in the enclosure and rip an iso of the DSD file on the SACD to the PC (Obviously we'd have to load the proper software on the PC also.)?

In one word: YES!

@maldur:

AFAIK, you still need a SACD capable drive to get around the hardware copy protection.

@Mr. Wicked:

Hmmm, this sounds very promising. But I am not sure I really need it - besides my 3 PS3s - to finish ripping my SACDs.

But I will think about it, for sure!

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

@maldur:

AFAIK, you still need a SACD capable drive to get around the hardware copy protection.

Ahh, I forgott this feature! But if DVD drive don't care about that, like a BR don't? DVD with working order always starts with CD and we don't even know what happened when... let's say , laser for CD layer not working and for DVD it is in perfect condition :):)

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

The PS3 SACD drive is the only drive that is capable of reading SACDs natively on a computer

OK , I understand the reason - nobody don't touch the drive in any way and it stays exactly as manufacturer did. So, it's replaceable then in easy way when needed.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

OK , I understand the reason - nobody don't touch the drive in any way and it stays exactly as manufacturer did. So, it's replaceable then in easy way when needed.

Good question and confirmed, the drive will remain original as there are no modifications necessary for it to operate outside the PS3.

Hi this is my second post in this forum.

Somehow though reasonably ambitious i find this project a little vain since we will have to rely in the increasingly rarer and unreliable playstation drives.

I thought of another idea which allow me to say is more useful and by far easier to fulfill. An easy to use and comprehensible software for MAC and PC able to convert Sacd Iso to dsf files therefore to something more usable by many devices.

Please let me know if such a thing exists, I know there are solutions but they are far from easy to use and comprehensible.

Thats all and sorry if I am slightly off topic..

Somehow though reasonably ambitious i find this project a little vain since we will have to rely in the increasingly rarer and unreliable playstation drives.

I don't want to end up in a yes/no discussion going nowhere. But I claim you are wrong as I know drives/drive parts are widely available.

It's interesting, but I would need to see proof that it works and have more details. (PC only? PC & Mac? Custom drivers required, or just ripping software?)

220 euro sounds like a lot for the drive inside an enclosure. If we no longer have to worry about the software version, a used PS3 is a fraction of that price. Buy a "dead" YLoD system and pull the drive from it.

Is there a reason you are not going through a site like Kickstarter? Especially now that they require you to deliver on your product if it is funded.

I like the concept of a standalone device that can attach to a computer and rip like a regular CD, great effort!

The downer is, the reliability that raises a concern, the main reason is the laser pickup, which does break, it also occurs with regular Sony SACD players even out of the box.

Given the life of the suitable PS3 units, I would put in extra EUR to replace the laser/pickup, as well as 'grease' the bearings to get the most out of the product as its use would be intense for a few weeks then used occasionally.

Question then why not buy an OEM SACD drive like Oppo and adapt it for ripping? Does the OEM drive behave like an IDE drive, maybe not, don't know the answer there. Guess someone would have completed this ages ago by now?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I thought of another idea which allow me to say is more useful and by far easier to fulfill. An easy to use and comprehensible software for MAC and PC able to convert Sacd Iso to dsf files therefore to something more usable by many devices.

Please let me know if such a thing exists, I know there are solutions but they are far from easy to use and comprehensible.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post359964

It will not get much easier as that. So you might want to give it a try.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I like the idea because my PS3 is beyond flakey, however I would prefer to support you through kickstarter. I am a fan of your work and follow your (and Ted's and Jesus's) formula for DSF extraction. However what you propose, us pay now to help you get funded, could be throwing away money if you decide later to pull the plug.

To give this a more positive note, I am interested and if you go kickstarter I am in.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

It's interesting, but I would need to see proof that it works and have more details. (PC only? PC & Mac? Custom drivers required, or just ripping software?)

220 euro sounds like a lot for the drive inside an enclosure. If we no longer have to worry about the software version, a used PS3 is a fraction of that price. Buy a "dead" YLoD system and pull the drive from it.

Is there a reason you are not going through a site like Kickstarter? Especially now that they require you to deliver on your product if it is funded.

I feel the same way as Skeptic. If you properly fund this through Kickstarter or something similar, I will be the 1st person in line to sign up.

I like the idea because my PS3 is beyond flakey, however I would prefer to support you through kickstarter. I am a fan of your work and follow your (and Ted's and Jesus's) formula for DSF extraction. However what you propose, us pay now to help you get funded, could be throwing away money if you decide later to pull the plug.

To give this a more positive note, I am interested and if you go kickstarter I am in.

I understand, and no I will not start a Kickstarter project. I might not have made myself clear.. I will not be asking anyone for money in advance. You'll be paying once I'm ready to send you a box. The only thing I'm currently asking you for is shear commitment. How's that for a risk? When we've reached that magic 150 unit mark I will start the work, fund it myself, but before that I won't do anything. So I'm putting my trust in you guys, how's that for a change? I also didn't mention it could take a while before you get your unit as there is significant work involved, which simply takes development time.

I'm in on this, but I didn't see the answer to the RFI on the platform specifics. Will this work in a Mac, and what OS will it function under?

If not Mac, I don't know how I can easily make it work for me.

Thanks,

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

I'm in - signed up on your web page.

for the Mac crowd, I saw where there is already an offering for the Mac platform, requires Maverick.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800