IGNORED

USB power supply

I was thinking of buying a USB power supply. Something like the Sciit Wyrd or iFi Micro iUSBPower. The Schiit is a bit cheaper. But I was wondering are they really that usefull.

My digital setup is:

NAS

windows XP laptop with Foobar (wired, no wifi)

Hiface (not the evo, first model BNC)

Wadia 12

Would a USB power supply like the aforementioned model improve my digital play back? Or would it be pointless? Also beside the Schiit and iFi are there any others that are affordable?

[br]

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

How rich are you? Meridian Prime Power Supply. $1250. Probably the best USB power supply available. And depending on the quality of your dac upgraded power supplies ALWAYS improve the sound. Upgrade your power cables and get a quality AC line conditioner too. My favorite is the Hydra from Shunyata. But be careful. That stuff is expensive!!!

I have used the AQVox USB Linear Power supply with an Audiophilleo 2 and was very pleased with the combo (this was with a Lite DAC83). Definitely a big improvement! For this money, I don't think you can find anything better, by far. :)

P.S. Mine was tweaked - the stock AC cable was replaced with an Audioquest NRG-5 cable and the crappy 'box' was replaced with a small aluminium box for RFI/EMI protection, better heat dissipation and for a better connection of the new power cable. :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

• 1 month later...

Would like to add my recommendation for the AQVOX USB power supply. I bought one recently for my Audiophilleo 2. I was not expecting much improvement if any, since my AP2 uses the Pure Power battery pack. Much to my surprise there was a distinct improvement, especially with regard to vocals and solo instruments, which now have a more natural quality to them. Without the AQVOX they have an edginess that I equate with a hard "Digital" sound. The AQVOX even improves an old M2HiFace I have.

Perhaps other products are better, but I did not try them. The AQVOX is much less expensive and I did not anticipate any significant improvement, so I chose it for cost and even managed to find a second-hand unit at a reduced price.

BTW, the Audiophilleo can also be improved by using Connectronics brand BNC / RCA adapters in lieu of those provided with the AP unit. The Connectronics adapters sound much better and are very inexpensive from a company that sells online called Markertek. They are sometimes listed as TecNec brand made by Connectronics. If you need the adapters for connection to your DAC, they make a nice SQ difference for less than $10. If you already own the AP, you have not really heard it until you upgrade the adapters. They look nearly identical to the ones AP provides but are less magnetic.

Hytek

[quote name=mordante;359844

My digital setup is:

NAS

windows XP laptop with Foobar (wired' date=' no wifi)

Hiface (not the evo, first model BNC)

Wadia 12

[/quote]

Another recommendation for the Aqvox.

Also; the original hiFace has a very high output.

I made up a cable from 75 Ohm satellite co-ax, with good quality 'f' connector plugs and experimented with in-line attenuation (got the idea from J Kenny's site).

This, imho ,made the greatest improvement with the hiFace (removed a hardness to the sound I thought).

atb

Ronnie

Another recommendation for the Aqvox.

Also; the original hiFace has a very high output.

I made up a cable from 75 Ohm satellite co-ax, with good quality 'f' connector plugs and experimented with in-line attenuation (got the idea from J Kenny's site).

This, imho ,made the greatest improvement with the hiFace (removed a hardness to the sound I thought).

atb

Ronnie

I'm another AQVOX user - I have one powering a Bel Canto uLink USB/SPDIF converter. I haven't compared it with other PSUs, but it is cheaper than the others.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

My solution is similar to AQVOX. I am using STONTRONICS power supply STONTRONICS - S2226ST - AC-DC LINEAR PSU, 5V 1A UNIVERSAL | eBay and home made Y type USB cable.

Additionally, I am using Weiduka power filter New Weiduka AC2 2 Advanced Audio Power Purifier Lightning Protection | eBay

I am satisfied with the sonic improvement of both parts.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500