IGNORED

The new 192 KHz version of Dirac Live is now online

flak

Dirac has launched today the new online store and a new version of its sound improvement product, Dirac Live Room Correction Suite, with 192 kHz sample rate support together with some improvements and compatibility fixes.

Online Store | Dirac Research

:) Flavio

I downloaded the new version but didn't find the possibility to tick 192 kHz. There is no box for this frequency in the Calibration Tool. Is the 192 kHz compatibility only a matter of the Audio Processor?

Anyway, does the new version imply that we need to repeat all measurements?

Hello,

you don't have to repeat all measurements, you can load your "old" project but you will have to generate the filters again including the two new ones at higher frequencies by clicking the relative boxes.

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hello,

you don't have to repeat all measurements, you can load your "old" project but you will have to generate the filters again including the two new ones at higher frequencies by clicking the relative boxes.

Flavio

I just noticed that Dirac pulled my leg by letting me download the old version again. I haven't managed yet to run through all the process steps in order to arrive at the new version as the site doesnt accept my old PW, neither did I receive a valid serial#. I am still waiting to be served.... :((

I just noticed that Dirac pulled my leg by letting me download the old version again. I haven't managed yet to run through all the process steps in order to arrive at the new version as the site doesnt accept my old PW, neither did I receive a valid serial#. I am still waiting to be served.... :((

Update: after struggling once more with the hurdles Dirac seems to need for protecting their application and after some failures and re-trials, I managed to install the real 1.1 version.

I can only go up to 96kHz. Is there any benefit from updating within my limitations?

Good question :)

there are some improvements that are listed in the release notes as well as compatibility fixes (i.e. Xonar u7 or non-fullduplex ASIO devices exaSound e28) and one which eventually can be really useful is that Dirac Live will not be platform specific anymore.

As requested by some users you will be able to download and run on Windows or Mac as you wish (it is possible to make up to 20 filter design projects per year and we will count and limit the number of simultaneous installations regardless of platform)

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Thanks Flavio. Great news. Installed without any issue. For those who are upgrading ensure to go to the bottom of the download page for the upgrade button. No requirement for passwords.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Made new filter with version 1.10. No issues found and enjoying filter now with Qobuz/Pure Music Streamthrough. Haven't tried hires files yet.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Good question :)

there are some improvements that are listed in the release notes as well as compatibility fixes (i.e. Xonar u7 or non-fullduplex ASIO devices exaSound e28) and one which eventually can be really useful is that Dirac Live will not be platform specific anymore.

As requested by some users you will be able to download and run on Windows or Mac as you wish (it is possible to make up to 20 filter design projects per year and we will count and limit the number of simultaneous installations regardless of platform)

Flavio

Could you explain the 20 project limit? I often save many new project files as I iterate on different curves, so I can reload favorites and tweak. Am I chewing through my license?

Also, the "free manual" link on your FAQ page is broken.

http://www.dirac.se/en/online-store/-frequently-asked-questions-and-free-pdf-manual.aspx

Hello Robert,

my understanding is that the limit of twenty projects per year which has been assigned together with the platform indipendent approach is an arbitrary number which should not create any real world limitations to legitimate users... do you feel that you will exceed that number/year?

And yes, there are some pages that have to be updated with the new release including the one that you have outlined... actually it links to the old manual, the new one is anyhow included in the 1.1 download.

Thanks for your feedback,

Flavio

Hello Robert,

my understanding is that the limit of twenty projects per year which has been assigned together with the platform indipendent approach is an arbitrary number which should not create any real world limitations to legitimate users... do you feel that you will exceed that number/year?

And yes, there are some pages that have to be updated with the new release including the one that you have outlined... actually it links to the old manual, the new one is anyhow included in the 1.1 download.

Thanks for your feedback,

Flavio

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a project.

Typically, my workflow is to take a new set of measurements after a system change or moving speakers, subs, the couch, or acoustical panels (doing that a lot lately).

Then, I'll iterate on the target curve for a while, making subtle variations, saving new filter and project files with each iteration.

Then, I'll come back with fresh ears, and iterate some more on my favorites.

For each time I take a new set of measurements, I'll probably save 15 different project files.

I had actually gotten to a point where I was really happy, but now that I have new speakers, I'm finding I need to start over.

Anyway, I am using my license in two rooms. My bedroom and my home theater. In my bedroom, I probably made about 10 project files, and haven't touched it since. In my theater, though, I have probably made about 50 project files over the last 4 months or so, and I'm still going.

Perhaps it would work if it only counted taking new measurements as a "new project file," rather than saving the whole package in 15 different variations.

BTW, I may also be able to iterate in a similar way using target curves, but I would at least need to understand the licensing limitations, so I can adjust my workflow.

Perhaps it would work if it only counted taking new measurements as a "new project file," rather than saving the whole package in 15 different variations.

Hi Robert,

yes, you are right because that is the way it works... whenever the user takes a new set of measurements is what counts.

That's the point at which the client software contacts our server to get a small but very important calculation made.

The user can change the target curve, save the project as a new file, save new filters, etc, without affecting this count.

flak,

I have a ECM-8000 mike with a cross labs calibration. The cal files are in .FRD format with a narrow band cal file and a 1/3 octave file. Will Dirac except these files, and if so, which one would be the best to use, the 1/3 or the narrow file. If it won't except these file can they be converted to an except-able format, such as a TXT file? They look like this only much longer in notepad, 5 -8.416014060441533 0 6.3 -7.427890652850209 0

8 -6.094794577815279 0

Thanks for your help.

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

flak,

I have a ECM-8000 mike with a cross labs calibration. The cal files are in .FRD format with a narrow band cal file and a 1/3 octave file. Will Dirac except these files, and if so, which one would be the best to use, the 1/3 or the narrow file. If it won't except these file can they be converted to an except-able format, such as a TXT file? They look like this only much longer in notepad, 5 -8.416014060441533 0 6.3 -7.427890652850209 0

8 -6.094794577815279 0

Thanks for your help.

The narrow band file should work great.

Ok, every things OK, and sounding good, for a first timer. I have an exaSound e22 with ASIO drivers, how do I get Dirac to work with them and Audirvana 2.01? I know that A+ 2 won't use ASIO, but his output is sent to Dirac which outputs to the e22, and is suppose to support ASIO.

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

Hi Flavio!

What means "1 year free support and updates"?

No free updates for users after the first year???

Dirac did not update all sides of their website!

Technical specs e.g. are still the old ones.

Computer: Apple Mac mini, 2,5Ghz, 4GB RAM (MD387D/A)

Software: Mavericks, iTunes

USB cable: NuForce Impulse (asynchronious transmission)

DAC/Amp: Devialet 240

Speaker cable: WSS platin line LS3

Speaker: Gauder Cassiano Diamant

Further: iPad Air, iPad mini RD, iPhone 5

Hi Flavio!

What means "1 year free support and updates"?

No free updates for users after the first year???

Dirac did not update all sides of their website!

Technical specs e.g. are still the old ones.

Hi Nightmare :)

I think that we should not be (and we are not) legally bound to provide updates and support for free forever... so we take a legal obligation to provide updates and support for free for one year after purchase, nonetheless updates have been provided free of charge much after that (as in this case) and a support tariff to access our helpdesk does not even exist.

(but again the meaning of that clause is that the above is an obligation for one year and no further)

Also thanks for pointing at parts of the site that need updating, we will fix as necessary.

Flavio

Ok, every things OK, and sounding good, for a first timer. I have an exaSound e22 with ASIO drivers, how do I get Dirac to work with them and Audirvana 2.01? I know that A+ 2 won't use ASIO, but his output is sent to Dirac which outputs to the e22, and is suppose to support ASIO.

I'm a PC user but as of Audirvana 1.5.9 you unchecked "Direct Mode" (which bypassed CoreAudio) in the Audio System tab and unchecked "Deactivate Completely iTunes Own Playback" in the iTunes tab... I don't know about Audirvana 2.01 but you can double-check all aspects by downloading the free two weeks trial here: Online Store | Dirac Research

Enjoy :)

Flavio

Hi Robert,

yes, you are right because that is the way it works... whenever the user takes a new set of measurements is what counts.

That's the point at which the client software contacts our server to get a small but very important calculation made.

The user can change the target curve, save the project as a new file, save new filters, etc, without affecting this count.

I´m a user of Dirac since two years, and I like this software for my StereoSetup very much. It makes the difference ;-)

But why did you make this new limitation? It feels a little bit like buying a new camera, but when you have 1000 pictures, it tells you: "OK, enough for this year. Next year we will see us again..." And I would have to buy a second camera...

Hello heartofthelastdragon,

certainly we don't want any legitimate user to incur into a limitation and that number of has been assigned presuming that it is unlikely that a user will change speakers, placement, furniture or house more than twenty times per year even taking experiments into account.

On the other side I understand that at least psychologically one may feel uneasy so I'm reporting your comments and the issue will be certainly looked into.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Flavio

@flak.

Flavio I feel the need to be more informed about how to modify the target to improve the sound of the initial software filter. I find that in my case, as is alerted in the literature, that the initial filter is 'light' across the response. I am assessing a new amplifier at present as well and was not entirely happy with the 'light' somewhat lacking in body and timbre sound which resulted.

I decided to experiment last night my raising the response from 200 HZ down, and then finding the frequency response above to be lacking in sparkle I raised all the response above 200 HZ, which has brought about a transformation. The difference between keeping the amplifier or not. Therefor to get the best out of Dirac Live it seems to me that the ability of the user to make adjustments to the target is paramount to complete success. Now I know that every bodies results will be different, but do you think that some expert advices or tutorial(s) would help users to get the best out of Dirac Live. Perhaps some examples with adjustments and do's/don't, together with downstream effects.

For example in my case the gain coming out of Dirac increased. Is this inevitable and where/how to deal with it; by decreasing the DSP Gain in Dirac, or Qobuz, or AmarraSQ or none of these. Are any or all of these volume controls lossless? I think that some clicks I experienced by reducing Dirac DSP Gain the full 8db and AmarraSQ by some 2db was the cause.

Anyway, you probably get my drift. Thanks.