IGNORED

Is the Naim DAC-V1 as good DAC/Preamp-combo as others?

Good evening folks!

I just got back into audio after a couple of years as a poor student.

I am now building myself a system from scratch and have started out by buy a pair of 2nd hand Harbeth 30.1 speakers and a Lavardin AS power amp. All good there i think!

However, It seems as the DAC market has changed a lot over the last years and I am now looking to buy a black DAC that will also work well as a remote controlled preamp. My PC laptop is my only source so I don't need analogue inputs, actually only USB. Budget is around 2000 euro.

I found that the beautiful Naim DAC-V1 seems to fit my needs well on paper. It black, its beautiful and it has a USB input, and it works as a remote controlled preamp with an analogue volume control.

Will this be a good match or are there better competitors out there for the same price? I do not really care that much about DSD, but i guess it would be nice addition.. but not a deal breaker.

Thank you!

Do you need remote control functionality? If not then perhaps look at something like the iFi iDSD Nano or Micro which have a volume control for the line outputs.

The Naim DAC-V1 is still good though...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I auditioned the DAC-V1 recently with the accompanying NAP 100 and really liked it, it's a very accomplished piece of kit. It wasn't better than what I have, though.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

I found that the beautiful Naim DAC-V1 seems to fit my needs well on paper. It black, its beautiful and it has a USB input, and it works as a remote controlled preamp with an analogue volume control.

I agree it seems to fit your needs. It will also drive your Lavardin AS correctly, which has a relatively low input impedance. The V1, whilst only having digital inputs, has a discrete Class A output section which takes the signal from the BBOPA604 op-amps performing I/V, and has a very low output impedance. In other words, it is a real preamp so can drive any cable into any amp. Not always the case with DACs that have volume controlled outputs. The added benefit is that the headphone output is unusually good, as it is coming off the same discrete Class A circuit.

Disclaimer - I actually own a Naim DAC-V1, LOL!

I have not used the USB input, as my source in this system is a Naim UnitiServe. However, the USB input is asynchronous, and seems highly regarded. My V1 does have a slight transformer hum, not uncommon with some Naim equipment, but not audible through the system. This is a modern Naim product, meaning it will actually work in a non-Naim system! In terms of the DAC (as in digital conversion) performance, it sounds pretty good to me. And I have a lot of DACs, including BADA DAC2 and MSB DAC IV.

It is tall and narrow as I am sure you realise. Your Lavardin, in comparison, is low and wide. But they are both black!

Sounds like you are putting together a nice system. Good luck!