IGNORED

any users reviews of Uptone Power Supply and mac kit?

Was it possible to run the MMK- fan kit with the Clones PSU?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Before to acquire the JS2, I had Clone+ MMK and it worked fine.

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

MMK and Clone audio PSU works perfect on my mini.

no need to cut something, just plug....

and enjoy the music

Windows PC server/ Target PC Diretta / Audirvana/ DAC W4S 10th anniversary/ Jadis DA60 / Wilson Audio Sophia 

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm about to hop on board and order Alex's Power supply and mac connection kit...would welcome any current user's comments or advice. Was the kit easy to install? Sound is good?

Regards,

Warren

Where do you buy this MMK kit from Uptone Audio? What is the price? I am unable to go to the uptown website.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Hi Superdad,

Have you ever tested improved power to a NAS or thought about a version that will work for a NAS?

Also curious whether the planned Regen will still benefit from clean power upstream in the Mac or Harddrives, and whether you have already tested this in conjunction with the JS2.

Cheers

Dropped Superdad a PM as recommended a few days ago but guess he is too busy to reply. :) They really need a website.

Sorry to all that I have not been replying to PMs or e-mails these past few days. Took some time off with my family for the holidays and hosting in-laws. Will be sorting through all messages and inquiries beginning Monday, and everyone will receive a personal reply and I'll post answers and info in the appropriate threads. Thanks for your patience. Goodnight.

--Alex C.

P.S. Yes, I know we really need to get a web site up with basic info and FAQs, pictures, pricing, ordering info, etc. It is pretty embossing--not to mention inefficient--to not have one at this point.

Alex,

Good to hear you have been spending some time with your family over the Christmas break.

For others out there, I recently purchased a MMK board from UpTone Audio. Can I say that Alex was very responsive to emails and prompt in sending the MMK board. Alex also kindly made up a DC cable for me to connect my linear power supply to the MMK. The price for the cable was very reasonable and the quality of the workmanship was very excellent. (and trust me I do have high standards when it comes to workmanship)

I do not know Alex personally and my only previous dealings have been reading some of his very informative posts on this forum. But I am happy to let others know that my experience purchasing from UpTone Audio was very positive.

Regards

Mark

Hi Superdad,

Have you ever tested improved power to a NAS or thought about a version that will work for a NAS?

Also curious whether the planned Regen will still benefit from clean power upstream in the Mac or Harddrives, and whether you have already tested this in conjunction with the JS2.

Cheers

Hi Tranz:

I have to be quick as my wife and kids are waiting on me to go to the movies for New Year's eve.

Yes, a few people have been using the JS-2 to power their NAS with good results.

As for the Regen, I do power my prototype with a JS-2. But the Regen has benefits of SQ for both the computer/USB cable and the DAC's USB input regardless of if the DAC uses any USB VBUS power at all. Its primary purpose is in creating a new, strong, low-noise/low-jitter USB signal close to the DAC (again, just a hub chip but with good clock and expensive regulators, plus controlled output impedance--not something you get at the end of most USB cables).

To be honest I have not had the time to compare the SQ of the Regen with it powered by the little Jameco LPS that we plan to ship with it versus my JS-2. And my DAC does not use 5V power at all.

Cheers,

Alex C.

Hi Tranz:

I have to be quick as my wife and kids are waiting on me to go to the movies for New Year's eve.

Yes, a few people have been using the JS-2 to power their NAS with good results.

As for the Regen, I do power my prototype with a JS-2. But the Regen has benefits of SQ for both the computer/USB cable and the DAC's USB input regardless of if the DAC uses any USB VBUS power at all. Its primary purpose is in creating a new, strong, low-noise/low-jitter USB signal close to the DAC (again, just a hub chip but with good clock and expensive regulators, plus controlled output impedance--not something you get at the end of most USB cables).

To be honest I have not had the time to compare the SQ of the Regen with it powered by the little Jameco LPS that we plan to ship with it versus my JS-2. And my DAC does not use 5V power at all.

Cheers,

Alex C.

Thanks Superdad.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Uptone JS-2 LPSU and MMK fan kit installed and running in my Mac Mini. All I can say is there is no doubt the LPSU is a HUGE improvement in the SQ of the Mac Mini. Big improvement in bass definition so it seems that music has its "pace" back again. Toe tapping all the time with the Mac Mini, now. Nice, fleshed out tones and cleaner all around. A lot closer to the disc spinners that I've run through my system. And the JS-2 never gets warm!

MacMini Back 2.jpg

Thanks to Uptone (Alex C. and John S.) for their worthwhile efforts!

Source Compnents 1.jpg

Mac Mini JS-2 LPSU.jpg

Uptone JS-2 Back 4.jpg

I saw a post somewhere that JS-2 gets very hot and this is one of the reasons I hesitate to go for JS-2. I may have misunderstood.

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

Dela(Melco)N1A/2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB memory - Audirvana/Pure Music/Amarra/JRMC - Devialet 800 - Wilson Audio Sasha

I saw a post somewhere that JS-2 gets very hot and this is one of the reasons I hesitate to go for JS-2. I may have misunderstood.

Hi Umetaro, good to hear from you again.

NOBODY is getting their JS-2 units hot except me when I put them through heavy thermal test to condition them, tightening the regulators after the thermal pads get hot and flow.

The 5-amp rating of the JS-2 means that it is capable of handling a continuous 5A load for hours on end at any of its user-selectable voltages of 5, 7, 9, or 12V. It can actually handle more than 7A continuous at 7V and 9V, and for short demand deliver perhaps 9A or more.

But very few people are putting anywhere near those loads on the supply. At boot up and under peak demand, a Mac mini will sometimes draw 2.8-3.2 amps, and at 12V the limiting factor is not thermal it is the drop of raw supply from the 18-19V R-core transformer (near 5A load for 12V, the voltage to the regulators dips under 13V; if it drops close to 12V, the regulators can't stay in regulation; then the red light flashes, the output voltage dips a little, and the 12V comes back when the load lightens).

To accomplish full and continuous 5 amps with a supply that can go from 5V to 12V with the same power transformer means that at 5V and 5A, the raw supply is about 14V and the heat sinks will have to dissipate a 9 volt drop--so that is 45 watts. Through one regulator! That's why the JS-2 has that copper bar bolted to a big heatsink. But what device draws 5 amps at 5 volts? I suppose an array of hard drives, but those are likely in an enclosure that takes 12V--a very easy thermal load.

Anyway, the point is not to worry. Don't cover the JS-2 with a cloth when it use, but go ahead and leave it on all the time. Maybe others can report what sort of components they power off the JS-2 and if theres ever gets more than slightly warm. I run all sorts of things off mine (really helps this Geek Pulse DAC I've been fussing with), and it is barely above room temperature.

Regards,

ALEX

Alex, thanks for the detailed explanation. I am relieved to hear that. As all the equipments except a pair of speakers are in the closed shelf, I was worried about the temperature. I used to own Luxman class A amp but replaced it with Devialet for this reason. Now, there may be no reason not to purchase JS-2...

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

Dela(Melco)N1A/2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB memory - Audirvana/Pure Music/Amarra/JRMC - Devialet 800 - Wilson Audio Sasha

Interesting Alex ... just in the last couple of days when I've been trialling Jussi's HQP, I noticed my Clones lpsu for the macmini (pre-dates the JS-2, sadly) getting extra hot, as distinct from the usual in use warm. Assuming effect of the 2xdsd upsampling & bunch of hours at it ... makes you a touch nervous!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I have the Uptone JS-2 LPSU and MMK fan kit installed and running in my Mac Mini. All I can say is there is no doubt the LPSU is a HUGE improvement in the SQ of the Mac Mini. Big improvement in bass definition so it seems that music has its "pace" back again. Toe tapping all the time with the Mac Mini, now. Nice, fleshed out tones and cleaner all around. A lot closer to the disc spinners that I've run through my system. And the JS-2 never gets warm!

Welcome to the LPSU users club! You have some very nice gear there, so when you say

"A lot closer to the disc spinners that I've run through my system."

then that comes with some authority, but could you tell us what spinners you have in mind, and were you using them as transports, or with their own DACs? Does your current Oppo win against the Mini for a CD vs a rip or download?

I'm curious because, for those of us with good but not ultimate CD players, a reasonably modern Mini (2012 i5 in my case now, but it was also true of the 2009) with a good linear supply (Paul Hynes) is way ahead of the CD transport (I have used Linn Ikemi and Meridian 500, and there is a recent similar report for a Sugden Masterclass). This is true even before you start with the extra tweaks like MMK, removing Wi-Fi, etc., so your report could almost be read as damning with faint praise! I don't think you meant that, however....

(Did somebody say "It is not so important that we agree, it is critical that we understand each other"?)

Hi Umetaro-I got one of the earliest JS-2's and it has been running flawlessly since I got it. It is always on and I have not noticed any heat issues /overheating at all. I only run my Mac mini with it. Amex Crespi is a real gentleman and great to deal with as well. Like the poster above, the JS-2 has significantly improved my sound quality (you can search my name in these forums to find my longer post on some sound quality).

Richard - thanks for the response. A review by an actual user like you is greatly helpful. Yes, Alex is really nice. I exchanged a few emails with him and his responses were always sincere and full of great information.

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

I power an SSD and a Raspberry Pi ( from the same 5v output) and a Nuforce Icon HDP (12v output) and have no issues whatsoever. I can barely feel any heat from the supply.

The JS-2 is one of the best purchases I have made in the past years. The SQ improvement is surprising (lower noise, better dynamics) and with its two outputs and voltage adjustment it is very versatile. It is a no-brainer.

Thanks Umetaro. From your name, are you in Japan by any chance? I'm going to be in Kyoto at the end of the year and would appreciate any recommendations for hi fi shops in the Kansai that you might have (especially tubes).

Richard - yes, I live in Tokyo, Japan. I am not familiar with audio shops in Kansai but will ask my friends for their recommendation. Your trip to Kyoto is at the end of the year and there will be plenty of time. I will let you know when I find out. Do you have any plan to visit Tokyo? There are many great high end audio shops in Tokyo and I would say that Tokyo is one of the best cities to enjoy audio. Dynamic Audio is my recommendation audio shop in Tokyo. They sell very high end products and you can enjoy the time there even if you just visit and don't buy anything there.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ダイナミックオーディオ5555/292303697454087

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan